Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope you get your money without causing hard feelings

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe your husband could go talk to them for you.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Get them in the same room and get an agreement before you leave. Document the agreement and get 2 signatures. If they break the agreement go directly to small claims court and tell the judge "I did the work, I need to get paid for it". Anything beyond that, you will need the court finding that they owe you x amount. You cannot get a lien against the business for the owed money without the court finding you are owed the money.

If they won't make the agreement and sign it, or if they break the agreement, then you are working for the wrong people and burning that bridge costs you nothing, and they will not bad mouth you to other employers because you have the documentation and can go right back to the judge with a damage claim if they do.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
A few friendly text reminders will go a long ways. Plus if they text you back you have something in writing. My old boss would never put it in writing so he could squirm out of it later. I did getting to text back a few times and then I had something to show the board. He learned quick though and quit texting back.

Bb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have a letter delivered by mail from an attorney friend, on their letter head, expressing the leagle aspect, and interest involved in unpaid wages.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
With nothing in writing, you're kind of SOL if they don't agree to pay you.

I would echo what others have said about getting them both in the same room with whatever evidence you have to support you (which, if there's nothing in writing, then you're kind of on your own). When you manage that, I would try to get something in writing with their signatures on it (which if they're intending to stiff you, they aren't going to have anything in writing).

I would also investigate what the laws are regarding tape recording conversations in your state. If you live in a one party consent state, then you can legally record what goes on in that room without their knowledge, which would help you in a court case.

Failing that, then is anybody else getting stiffed by these people? If there's enough others in the same boat, then the testimony of several others may be able to help make up for the lack of supporting documentation.

You may also be able to consult with your state's labor board and see if you have enough of a case to move forward.

“To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine

Matthew 25:31-46
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pay the servant, or the servant will pay himself.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kelbro
Maybe your husband could go talk to them for you.

rollin' here.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show up at bosses house with a trailer and start loading schitt from his garage.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Yes, I like my job, I like my boss, and I would like to see this resolved.

Schedule a meeting with your boss and his wife. Explain to him that you like working for him and that you'd like to see this issue resolved and ask how it will be so. Be ready to quit if need be.

I once had an issue with my boss about a scheduled vacation for a moose hunt. He wanted me to skip the moose hunt (1st tag in 20yrs) and work. I told him I wasn't looking for an excuse to quit. I went moose hunting and things were never quite the same at work after that.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get em together in the same room and ask again.

Is any of this in writing?

Conversing with both, together, sounds like the answer.

Unfortunately, No. None of it is in writing.

Do you have pay stubs showing an earlier higher pay rate?

I would have the conversation once more with boss, and explain he has two weeks to make it right, or I would turn it over to your state Dept of Labor.

As an example: A local motorcycle dealership had about ten hourly employees and often worked them 50 to 58 hours per week. They paid straight time for all hours. And claimed that was understood at time of hire.

Id Dept of Labor eventually got wind of the situation. The state came in and seized all the file cabinets in the business. After examination of the pay records, the state came back with a list of employees and exemployees with amount of back pay to be awarded. The list went back about twenty years. Many $thousands were paid to many people.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. Perhaps he does not have the cash to make you whole, and he is embarrassed to admit such.

2. If he has the cash and simply is hoping to screw you out of what is rightly yours, then do you really want to continue working for him?

3. If the answer is no, then man up and demand payment. If the answer is yes, then let him know you demand an audience with both him and his wife at the same time and to get this settled before the end of the day. Put a deadline on it. If he fails to resolve the issue by the end of the day, you need to have another job lined up, and let him know you will see him in court.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It sounds like you don’t have any documentation, that it’s all word of mouth. That makes it real simple: if they won’t do right by you, you’re screwed. Also, if that’s the case all this bs about threatening them with attorneys and court will be a waste of time and make you look like a bozo. Same goes for state labor department. If you can’t document everything, you’ll be wasting your time. You need to decide if you want to keep on with them. If yes, meet with the two of them, talk it out and take what you get. If not, find another job, then quit. Period.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a boss try to screw me once.

He was paying straight time AND under the table on all overtime, on government jobs with prevailing wages. The guy was such an azzhole he had to hire a front man for his business because people hated him about 30 seconds after meeting him. I worked for him for three months and when I quit I wanted to get paid for my overtime, a grand total of 8 hours. Yes, 8 hours.

He refused, so I turned him into the state labor board. He got investigated on not just on my wages but all employees, along with the fines and all the BS that goes with a govt inquiry. I can't imagine what it cost him when they found out he was cheating his employees on govt jobs, but I got my 8 hours overtime pay.

I wouldn't screw around with your boss, something's hinky and you're at the bottom of the food chain. If he won't make it right, turn him in, period. Even if you don't have documentation they'll make him wish he had just paid you.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an insurance business owner try to screw me out of $25K in commissions. He didn't pay me until months later when the Insurance Commission sent an investigator out to interview all of the employees about irregularities in the way he handled collected premiums. He ended up losing his insurance license and his business. I got out of the insurance business and started pipe lining.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
It sounds like you don’t have any documentation, that it’s all word of mouth. That makes it real simple: if they won’t do right by you, you’re screwed. Also, if that’s the case all this bs about threatening them with attorneys and court will be a waste of time and make you look like a bozo. Same goes for state labor department. If you can’t document everything, you’ll be wasting your time. You need to decide if you want to keep on with them. If yes, meet with the two of them, talk it out and take what you get. If not, find another job, then quit. Period.

Absolutely correct.

Dont threaten anything you dont have in your pocket already.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have a back up plan.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I've been there and I would be looking for another job, he's probably counting on you liking your job and not going south on him. He probably has another side to him you may not be aware of, dick boss is pretty common.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd let the money go and steal $4000 worth of stuff. Because I am part gypsy. I have to control myself from stealing stuff now from a company that treats me great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Show up at bosses house with a trailer and start loading schitt from his garage.....

wrong......make HIM do the loading.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.