-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those post war Sauer Durals were strong and light. Keep white grease on the hinge pin, and it'll last forever. You have three great guns in one. The 7X57R with 173-175 gr bullets will smack elk and deer, or craft some 140s for antelope and deer hunting with an excellent scope.

Use it sans scope for a fast handling bird gun. I much prefer 1 ounce 16ga to 1 ounce 20 gauge for uniform patterns.

Use it as a combo gun when you hunt deer or birds and take whatever jumps out if both seasons are open.

I think the wood is Turkish walnut, very attractive. I wish I had it, and you had a better one.

Rates a Two-Cool

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Well I guess I am sadly not a loony. Just married 2 years ago, bought a house, teach school. That is 3 strikes against owning a lot of guns. But I do make sure I carry something different than most hunters, that has to count for something! Savage 340 chambered in 225 Winchester for groundhogs. 260 Rem for deer. 358 Winchester for deer and hopefully hogs this summer.

There is a definite loony factor to a 340 in 225 Win. It should at least get Honorable Mention.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dan

No, I don't!

Anybody who develops a practical, accurate version of the centerfire .22 Long Rifle is, in my opinion, the Bull Goose Rifle Loony. (A reference, of course to ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, both the book and movie.

In the days of my youth I started with a Benjamin 312. Still have it and it still works. The evolution was gradual and then one day LBJ arranged for me to go to war and I was introduced to all manner of interesting gadgets, widgets and arms. It led to acquisitions later on that were quite enjoyable, and rather noisy. I prospered and after a time retired, comfortable with the state of affairs. Wife and I moved to a rural setting that was blissful....until the hogs showed up and started rooting up the yard.

I began to deal with it in my own way but soon the neighbors (mostly yankee immigrants) noticed and asked for my help. And then the state asked for my help and once again I was at war. On their lands they said I could only use .22 rimfire due to their concerns about disrupting the neighborhood. They didn't understand the neighborhood very well, but I didn't say anything. Hundreds of dead pigs and full bellies later, our great land installed a joker from Chicago in the oval office. At that point my drift into the world of loons was a sealed deal and it was clear there was no turning back. I accepted my burdens and responsibility like a man and moved on. It was then that the fellow from Africa/Hawaii/Indonesia began to have significant adverse impact on my life and the lives of countless millions of citizens across the land, and in the frenzy that followed, finding supplies for my pastimes became increasingly difficult.

So I started casting bullets and inventing cartridges, dabbled with black powder and became addicted. I discovered that contrary to conventional wisdom that a fella could in fact hit what he was aiming at with lead and Lord Black. Likewise, it came to my attention that just because a cartridge case said one thing on the headstamp did not mean it couldn't be something else. And if one attached a muffler to such inventions an entirely new dawn presented in Hog Town. Still, my many friends suffered. They could not find components, or in the case of rimfire guns, ammo. I became the local source for their vexing shortage of bullets. One of my associates was sufficiently enchanted that he began making his own BP. It was time to do something for America, something that would give back the blessings it had bestowed upon me. The .22 rf morphed into something immune to political travesty.

And there you have it. Brought to you by the Democrats, plain and simple. I'm crazy, but it's all their fault.

Aim Small,

Dan

Bull Goose Rifle Loony
Florida Chapter

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Agree on all, but would modify one point to ”A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield or 1903 Springfield sporter.”
[/quote]
Would owning 2 Husqvarna 46 rifles in 9.3x57 qualify?

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
definitely

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Delightful thread.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Did somebody say "Springfield sporters'? This one was made by Frank Pachmayr in the 1930s.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's gorgeous. would like to see more pictures and information on that rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's a look at the entire rifle. It was originally a .35 Whelen, but sometime later was rechambered to .358 Norma Magnum, probably in the 1960s, when the Whelen was a still a wildcat and the .358 was a factory round. I also suspect the scope, a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan, was added after the original rifle was put together with a Lyman aperture sight, in a Griffin & Howe detachable side-mount. ( Unlike some dual-sight sporters of the day, the scope was NOT mount high enough to aim under it with the irons.) Since the Pachayr company (founded by Franks's father Gus) was in California, they had access to some really good walnut.

I bought it in 2006 from the late Ike Ellis, himself a very fine stockmaker who had a sporting goods store in Idaho Falls--and a collector/dealer in fine rifles and shotguns. It's original ventilated Pachmayr recoil pad was crumbling, so I replaced it with a Pachmayr Decelerator. You'll notice the white-spacers--which were invented by Pachmayr back in the 30s. The spacers of the edony grip cap and forend are made of elephant ivory. I download the .358 to more like a Whelen, and its shoots very well. I have a book on the Pachmayr story, and believe they used Apex barrels, which as I recall were another California company.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mule Deer; 01/10/20. Reason: additional info

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about owning an elephant rifle, yet you never plan to hunt elephants..... is that loony?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My Springfield is languishing in some POS plastic butler creek abomination. Someday....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not have a savage 99.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is a fun thread - have enjoyed reading through it!!

Does buying a rifle, chambering unknown but knowing just enough to realize the chambering the gun store has it marked as can’t be right? Bought a Steyr M95 last summer that was customized and marked as a 6.5X54MS - after some research and consultation from known looneys (some from this thread).....determined that it was chambered for 6.5X53R - which was confirmed by a chamber cast (should this also be a requisite?).

May not be a looney yet but should be well on the way😄.

PennDog

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
How about owning an elephant rifle, yet you never plan to hunt elephants..... is that loony?

Sane....but only to another loony. I’ll probably never see Africa and have a New Haven 416 rem mag they’ll pry from my cold dead hands.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BeardHunter

Sane....but only to another loony. I’ll probably never see Africa and have a New Haven 416 rem mag they’ll pry from my cold dead hands.

Tell your heirs that I am first in line. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by irfubar

It's a matter of semantics. If you have a "squirrel rifle" but shoot other things with it, is it only a squirrel rifle?

Case in point is my truck gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We have few elephants in the neighborhood, but many trucks. It will stop a truck, large lizards, buffalo and even foreign hatchbacks, no question about that. Trucks are "Big Game".

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
DD, that's a beautiful rifle. What cartridge is it chambered for? I'm beginning to believe if your on the Campfire, your a loony. grin Seems most people can pull an esoteric, rare, classy rifle out of the closet. If they can't they have a list and someday they will.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.416 Rigby. It shoots MOA on an average day. Make one heck of a gopher gun, hey?

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of my best friends here has a private 100-yard range where I do a lot of my shooting. It backs up on a steep hillside with lots of rocks sticking out between the sagebrush, bunchgrass and yucca. Was out there one day shooting my .416 Rigby, and he asked if he could try it on a rock. So I handed it over, and several rounds later he said, "That's the best rock rifle I've ever shot!"

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It seems to me that to qualify for Looney status there ought to be a Sharps or two and you've bought a revolver because you have a lever gun in the same caliber. And how were flintlocks not included?

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (22kHornet, 160user, 257man, 338rcm, 17CalFan, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,849
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.