Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

These....proven time and again.

Or shop for a used NF SHV.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

not sow fast on that model of SWFA, the one I just checked had right reticle travel when dialed for elevation, not a ton, but some. don't worry I have it on video. zeiss v4 4-16 is the scope you should check into. The sample I had tracked flawless. it also, has tracked flawless and shot some incredible groups during first round of load development on my blaser R8

Sorry to derail...serious question....

I’m curious how you are truing the reticles up to your jig before your TTT?

Last edited by joshf303; 01/10/20.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As per usual, Jordan is right again. I've had a couple of LRHS/LRTS now, and been around a few more. Great scope that can be had for $650 right now. A little chunky, but lighter than some of what you've been looking at.

The 3-9 or 3-15 SWFA SS also fits the requirements and they are also universally praised (mostly) at a price a fair piece under your budget limit.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

not sow fast on that model of SWFA, the one I just checked had right reticle travel when dialed for elevation, not a ton, but some. don't worry I have it on video. zeiss v4 4-16 is the scope you should check into. The sample I had tracked flawless. it also, has tracked flawless and shot some incredible groups during first round of load development on my blaser R8

How many SS 3-15x scopes have you tested? A sample of one? Nothing personal, cummins, but my confidence in your methodology, testing, and claims is less than awe-inspiring...That aside, every model of scope can occasionally come off the line with some sort of minor manufacturing flaw, regardless of brand. That is why I test every new scope I get for tracking, return-to-zero, etc. I have seen scopes from NF, SWFA, etc, with tracking errors, whether canted reticles or incorrect increment values. I just send scopes back if I find a problem out the gate, and when they return they work correctly. Once any initial errors are corrected, scopes from those brands tend to continue to work correctly for a lot of rounds and a lot of use. That’s the key.

You claim the Zeiss V4 is the scope to look at. How many samples have you tested? How many rounds have you shot using that scope? How much rough handling has it seen? Mechanical integrity and durability (when subjected to continued shooting and use the scope keeps tracking correctly, retains zero, returns to zero, etc) is about as important as correct initial tracking. Lots of scopes track correctly initially, but the pool of brands and models that continue to track and work properly for many, many rounds, and a lot of use, is much smaller, IME. The V4 may be one of them, but the number of samples and the amount of use/shooting on those tested that I’ve seen is a far cry from being able to make any claims about mechanical robustness of the lineup.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by joshf303

Open Box 3-10x42 forceplex (duplex) SVH from Doug @ $699 if he has any left...........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

Open Box 3-10x42 forceplex (duplex) SVH from Doug @ $699 if he has any left...........

C583 SHV 3-10x42mm SFP - Forceplex ( Open Box ) only $699.99 shipped

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by horse1

C583 SHV 3-10x42mm SFP - Forceplex ( Open Box ) only $699.99 shipped

There you go. 90MOA of elevation, side-parallax adjust, covered turrets that track exceptionally well when removed, 2.5MOA to the duplex intersections @ 10x works well for wind-holds unless it's really howling or you're shooting a really long way.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That particular scope leans more to the close-range hunting side of the line, rather than hunting and shooting at distance. It’ll track, but the reticle design and the fact that it is SFP aren’t ideal for shooting beyond PBR.

Depends if you want a scope for point-and-shoot hunting that is capable of hitting at distance, or a LR scope that is capable of being used successfully for hunting.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tell me.more about the Toric, who has one? I really want a ffp. Well at least I think I do.

You can lead a horse...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That particular scope leans more to the close-range hunting side of the line, rather than hunting and shooting at distance. It’ll track, but the reticle design and the fact that it is SFP aren’t ideal for shooting beyond PBR.

Depends if you want a scope for point-and-shoot hunting that is capable of hitting at distance, or a LR scope that is capable of being used successfully for hunting.

Correct....
I was implying the 4-16, MILs of course...grin...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some reason, thousands of "hunters", put meat in the freezer for the last 75 years with "set and forget" scopes. I know a guy that used a Leupold Vari X 1.5-5x20 with a Duplex reticle for 12 years and shot many moose, caribou and a few bears with that set up on a .338 Winny. Longest shot was a moose at around 350 yards. That be me.

I recently put a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with a B&C reticle on a old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. I am soon loading up some 175 grain Barnes LRX bullets at close to 2,800 fps mv and will learn the scopes reticle for shots out to 500 yards. After I zero the scope for 200 yards I will only touch the adjustment dial if it looses it's zero. If I want to dial with a scope I have a SWFA 3-9x40 HD on a 6.5 Tikka Superlite, a Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHSI on a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creed or the Nightforce SHV 2-10.

Hunting in the "states" must be different then Alaska. Our average 1st shot distance at a critter is taken at well under 200 yards. I had a SWFA 3-15 Mil Mil and never used it. It was to big for me to pack around on my 30-06 or my .338 Winny. I put a Nightforce 3-10 SHV with a Force Plex reticle on my .338 last year. The moose I shot in September of 2019 was well under 200 yards. If I was younger I would buy a Nightforce NXS in 2-10 with a reticle for dialing and learn to use it. They ain't cheap, but they offer a lot in my opinion.

Good luck on your scope quest. If I ain't careful I suffer from the never ending scope search plague my self. I think I caught it when I started reading the Optics Forum.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Ideally? Lol

I want a scope with a ffp with a plex reticle that will be close to accurate at 100, 200, 300-500yds..for hunting. So far the only thing I could get close with is the Burris reticle and using a Nosler 143 gr, with a 150yd zero it was almost dead nuts at the 200, 300, 400 and 500 marks.. granted that was a benchmarked velocity and not necessarily what my 22" barrel will be pushing..

But I also want to be able to dial the turrets for tighter accuracy to ring steel out to 700 at the range and somenfriendly competition with a few buddies.

You can lead a horse...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One must remember, a certain percentage of everything made...cars, toasters, scopes, people...are defective. That's just the way it is. You can't get around it. It's part of life.

No matter what you get, somebody, somewhere, has written a negative review of it for one reason or another, if nothing else because they are ignorant and don't know squat.

You do your due diligence ref research, you consult with intelligent people knowledgeable about the matter at hand, and you don't fall victim to analysis paralysis leaving you dead in the water.

You make your best educated decision, whip out the credit card, and pull the trigger. And hope that you don't get whatever was made just before quitting time on Friday or first thing Monday morning.

I will agree that you might wanna look at SWFA. Mebbeso Meopta, too.

Some people, like the military, need the absolute best. Other people don't need the absolute best, but want the absolute best. And then there's others that don't need the absolute best, and can't afford the absolute best, so they get the best that they can afford that comes as close to doing what they want as they can find.

Last edited by DELGUE; 01/10/20.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DELGUE
One must remember, a certain percentage of everything made...cars, toasters, scopes, people...are defective. That's just the way it is. You can't get around it. It's part of life.

No matter what you get, somebody, somewhere, has written a negative review of it for one reason or another, if nothing else because they are ignorant and don't know squat.

You do your due diligence ref research, you consult with intelligent people knowledgeable about the matter at hand, and you don't fall victim to analysis paralysis leaving you dead in the water.

You make your best educated decision, whip out the credit card, and pull the trigger. And hope that you don't get whatever was made just before quitting time on Friday or first thing Monday morning.

I will agree that you might wanna look at SWFA. Mebbeso Meopta, too.

Some people, like the military, need the absolute best. Other people don't need the absolute best, but want the absolute best. And then there's others that don't need the absolute best, and can't afford the absolute best, so they get the best that they can afford that comes as close to doing what they want as they can find.

I'm dead lmao.. analysis paralysis... that about sums it up. Lol. I don't have money to throw away on junk. I want to buy something nice, and for $800 it should work right lol.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
For some reason, thousands of "hunters", put meat in the freezer for the last 75 years with "set and forget" scopes. I know a guy that used a Leupold Vari X 1.5-5x20 with a Duplex reticle for 12 years and shot many moose, caribou and a few bears with that set up on a .338 Winny. Longest shot was a moose at around 350 yards. That be me.

I recently put a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with a B&C reticle on a old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. I am soon loading up some 175 grain Barnes LRX bullets at close to 2,800 fps mv and will learn the scopes reticle for shots out to 500 yards. After I zero the scope for 200 yards I will only touch the adjustment dial if it looses it's zero. If I want to dial with a scope I have a SWFA 3-9x40 HD on a 6.5 Tikka Superlite, a Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHSI on a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creed or the Nightforce SHV 2-10.

Hunting in the "states" must be different then Alaska. Our average 1st shot distance at a critter is taken at well under 200 yards. I had a SWFA 3-15 Mil Mil and never used it. It was to big for me to pack around on my 30-06 or my .338 Winny. I put a Nightforce 3-10 SHV with a Force Plex reticle on my .338 last year. The moose I shot in September of 2019 was well under 200 yards. If I was younger I would buy a Nightforce NXS in 2-10 with a reticle for dialing and learn to use it. They ain't cheap, but they offer a lot in my opinion.

Good luck on your scope quest. If I ain't careful I suffer from the never ending scope search plague my self. I think I caught it when I started reading the Optics Forum.

I've been doing set and forget for 35 years... I'm fine with a bdc reticle for hunting.. I want to be able to dial for the range. And I dont have a gun and a scope for each occasion lol. Maybe I just need to get 2 scopes... ugh.. double the frustration.

You can lead a horse...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You don’t need two scopes when one can easily do what you stated you want to do in your OP...

You’ve got 4 of the best options recommended to you from guys that shoot...a lot. Whether you choose to go one of those routes is up to you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
For some reason, thousands of "hunters", put meat in the freezer for the last 75 years with "set and forget" scopes.

As long as they hold zero tenaciously, yes. I was one of them. But over the last couple of decades I have expanded my capability to come home with meat and bone under a wider variety of hunting conditions by getting gear that works and learning how to use it, whether the shot presented be short range or long. Here in AB we have the intersection of mountains, prairies, boreal forest, and mixed parkland forest, so hunting styles and shot distances can vary dramatically.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You don’t need two scopes when one can easily do what you stated you want to do in your OP...

You’ve got 4 of the best options recommended to you from guys that shoot...a lot. Whether you choose to go one of those routes is up to you.

There are more than 4 listed here lol.

Meopta, nightforce, swfa, bushnell elite, toric and more lol.

Low light ability is as important as tracking as well lol. I forgot to mention that, but that kind of goes along with hunting I guess.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Musicianized

Ideally? Lol

I want a scope with a ffp with a plex reticle that will be close to accurate at 100, 200, 300-500yds..for hunting. So far the only thing I could get close with is the Burris reticle and using a Nosler 143 gr, with a 150yd zero it was almost dead nuts at the 200, 300, 400 and 500 marks.. granted that was a benchmarked velocity and not necessarily what my 22" barrel will be pushing..

But I also want to be able to dial the turrets for tighter accuracy to ring steel out to 700 at the range and somenfriendly competition with a few buddies.

The LRHS/LRTS, SS 3-15x, or NF F1 would be your huckleberry. My advice is to forget about a BDC reticle and get a scope with matching reticle and turret increments, whether MRAD or MOA (MRAD is more intuitive to learn and use), learn your load's trajectory and behaviour in the wind, and use the increments in the reticle to compensate for wind drift and dial for elevation. You can also easily hold over for elevation using the reticle. The LRHS 3-12x and SS 3-9x are my personal preferences for the purposes you describe.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sell a few guns or other chit that clogs most folks garage you don't, or rarely even use, buy that NF and be done with it, what's the old saying? buy once, cry once. smile

Thats what ive been doing, but after 5 this year, damn... cry

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 18 invisible), 1,096 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.