Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jordan,

Out of the scopes you mention, which one offers the best reticle for quick and close shots? When I look at say the MOAR by NF , my eyes are not drawn to the center of the reticle like I’m used to with a simple duplex or no. 4 .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

These....proven time and again.

Or shop for a used NF SHV.

Those SHV scopes really impress me. Appear to be every bit as good as my NXS's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by horse1
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

Open Box 3-10x42 forceplex (duplex) SVH from Doug @ $699 if he has any left...........

C583 SHV 3-10x42mm SFP - Forceplex ( Open Box ) only $699.99 shipped

I like mine.

BTW, that's the best price I've seen, paid a bit more for mine, but still well below retail.

You'll need a rail for LA. Med LW Talley's worked well on this SA Shilen Creed Mtn Rifle McWoody

Simple but tough; a hunting scope. This one with Forceplex, which I like.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you are wise, you will listen to Jordan's advice. He won't steer you wrong. Put Cummins cowboy on ignore, his advice will steer you wrong. I have had the ss 3x15 since they came out, and I shoot it alot. Mine has been rock solid in adjustment, and return to zero. The 3x9 is a very good scope too. The turrets are a little smaller and stiffer than the 3x15, and I like them better. You can't go wrong with either one. The mil quad reticle is great and would be easy r for you to understand and use as a beginner. Not too complex. If not these 2 scopes then one of the others that Jordan mentioned. Pick the one you like best, drop the hammer, and get it done. And then shoot. Alot. PS. Yes you do want a FFP scope. No exceptions.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 3-10 SHV is a solid scope. I have had my share of them and if they were to put one out with a MIL reticle I may own them again.

But I think y’all are missing that he asked for more Xs. Granted I’ve shot a bunch out past the OPs 700 yard mark with the SWFA 10x and others. The ForcePlex reticle isn’t doing anybody many favors when you go to holding wind either...

Like Atse said. The MilQuad reticle is a peach to learn esp for kids. When I say hold a full diamond and half or hold 2/10s shy of a diamond, there is no confusion or “counting lines”. Very intuitive.

The MilQuad “brackets” very easy in low light too.

Last edited by joshf303; 01/10/20.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What brand is the SS again?

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by horse1

Open Box 3-10x42 forceplex (duplex) SVH from Doug @ $699 if he has any left...........

C583 SHV 3-10x42mm SFP - Forceplex ( Open Box ) only $699.99 shipped

I like mine.

BTW, that's the best price I've seen, paid a bit more for mine, but still well below retail.

You'll need a rail for LA. Med LW Talley's worked well on this SA Shilen Creed Mtn Rifle McWoody

Simple but tough; a hunting scope. This one with Forceplex, which I like.

DF

Thats a beauty of a rifle!

You can lead a horse...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
SWFA. They make em, and sell em. No middle man. That is why they don't cost more than they do.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atse
SWFA. They make em, and sell em. No middle man. That is why they don't cost more than they do.

I was interested in that scope.. I just don't know about that reticle.

You can lead a horse...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Originally Posted by atse

I was interested in that scope.. I just don't know about that reticle.

It's actually a pretty simple reticle, and it grows on ya. It works great for hold over if you don't have time to dial, and it allows for precise wind holds,something you will have to use it you are shooting very far.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Those Bushnells sound nice.. but they're like $1400?

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Jordan,

Out of the scopes you mention, which one offers the best reticle for quick and close shots? When I look at say the MOAR by NF , my eyes are not drawn to the center of the reticle like I’m used to with a simple duplex or no. 4 .

My preference is the G2H in the LRHS, but the MQ in the SWFA SS is very good as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those Bushnells sound nice.. but they're like $1400?

It's pretty easy to find them for less than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Don's pretty good at leading a guy to water...

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep skarfing them up, before they're gone.... 2 more this week.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That particular scope leans more to the close-range hunting side of the line, rather than hunting and shooting at distance. It’ll track, but the reticle design and the fact that it is SFP aren’t ideal for shooting beyond PBR.

Depends if you want a scope for point-and-shoot hunting that is capable of hitting at distance, or a LR scope that is capable of being used successfully for hunting.

Ideally? Lol

I want a scope with a ffp with a plex reticle that will be close to accurate at 100, 200, 300-500yds..for hunting. So far the only thing I could get close with is the Burris reticle and using a Nosler 143 gr, with a 150yd zero it was almost dead nuts at the 200, 300, 400 and 500 marks.. granted that was a benchmarked velocity and not necessarily what my 22" barrel will be pushing..

But I also want to be able to dial the turrets for tighter accuracy to ring steel out to 700 at the range and somenfriendly competition with a few buddies.

The LRHS/LRTS, SS 3-15x, or NF F1 would be your huckleberry. My advise is to forget about a BDC reticle and get a scope with matching reticle and turret increments, whether MRAD or MOA (MRAD is more intuitive to learn and use), learn your load's trajectory and behaviour in the wind, and use the increments in the reticle to compensate for wind drift and dial for elevation. You can also easily hold over for elevation using the reticle. The LRHS 3-12x and SS 3-9x are my personal preferences for the purposes you describe.

Look, I'm no super long range guy like Jordan and some of these other dudes are. My simple advice is to either go with a BDC reticle, and spurn turrets, or go with a scope like the LRHS or the SWFA 3-9.and dial and/or use the subtensions in their reticle for windage and elevation.

If you have the disposable money, get the LRHS/LRTS. If you can't or don't wanna spend that much right now, then get the SWFA 3-9. If you can wait until around tax deadline, I think that is about when SWFA runs a sale, which you save you even more.

But know this: there are a lot of people, people with LOTS of experience and knowledge, on this forum that use SWFA's, aka superchickens, and are hardcore fans.

Mebbeso the easy thing to do, to end analysis paralysis, to give you a starting point, and most importantly, start to gain you some experience using this type of scope, is just to go ahead and buy the dang SWFA 3-9x and be done with it!!! grin JUST DO IT!!!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im not pulling the trigger for a couple weeks lol. I still have 2 weeks to observe...

Leupolds CDS seems so much simpler.. too bad they dont work.

I hunt the same area that I target shoot. It's be really easy to findnthe round my gun shoots best and then, custom yardage turret.. bam.. dial the distance.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This mildot stuff looks really confusing coming from moa

You can lead a horse...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Something to think about...

https://www.shooterready.com/dlinfo.html

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (320090T, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 257_X_50, 20 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,939
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.