Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So the next question , should I request they be sent back and pass them along with full disclosure of the issues? maybe the next guy will have better luck with the warranty? My gut tells me no! not fair to pass the problem to somebody else.

Should I get them back and tear them apart and see that they lied to me?

Pay the ransom then sell them to the next victim?

WTF is wrong with Swarovski?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'd call an independent repair facility for a second opinion, or quote for diagnosis. I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 to repair those old 8x30 SLC.

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd call an independent repair facility for a second opinion, or quote for diagnosis. I couldn't bring myself to pay $450 to repair those old 8x30 SLC.

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize independent repair facilities existed . Do you have any you would recommend?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tough call, $450 takes you a long ways towards new glass.

Originally Posted by irfubar
So the next question , should I request they be sent back and pass them along with full disclosure of the issues? maybe the next guy will have better luck with the warranty? My gut tells me no! not fair to pass the problem to somebody else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize independent repair facilities existed . Do you have any you would recommend?

Unfortunately not, in terms of firsthand experience.

However, I bet you'll get some good advice with a new post asking for suggestions. And I'd be tempted to call Cory Suddarth as I've heard good things about his work.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/17/20.
IC B2

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Tough call, $450 takes you a long ways towards new glass.

Exactly...... I also don't want to give Swarovski a nickle at this point....

I am frustrated , I sold a pair of Zen Rays that were optically superior to get the Swarovski's, because I thought if I had a problem they would take care of me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by GregW
Do you work for Swaro?

No.

Things have changed since your guiding days...

That would be in the last four years. About the time I last had dealings with Swaro's stellar service. Maybe somebody can chime in with their Swaro experience in the last four years.

I didn't abuse my three sets of bins either....

As we say on the 'fire--some people can break an anvil..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Santiam
This deer season.. Run over them in October..Got'em back in December

There you go........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gave my kid a pair of the Zen Rays and they are great. He could destroy an anvil and they’ve held up well.

They are disposable at this point.

Like mentioned above, Swaro better pay attention in today’s market.

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting story, about ten years ago I was at the Safari Club convention and had dinner with a hunting show host. One of his sponsors was Swarovski, he told me when his show was cancelled Swarovski wanted everything back, bino's, spotter, cases, everything.... I thought that was odd and so did he as they had several years of wear & tear......
Cheap bastards

IC B3

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Gave my kid a pair of the Zen Rays and they are great. He could destroy an anvil and they’ve held up well.

They are disposable at this point.

Like mentioned above, Swaro better pay attention in today’s market.

Swarovski's are disposable also

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Huh, maybe another phone call to swaro would get more traction?
Although I've not needed much, every time I sent a swaro scope or binos in to be cleaned or checked out their CS was fantastic.
Maybe their over the top CS has caught up with them and they are needing to stick closer to their true warranties?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am frustrated , I sold a pair of Zen Rays that were optically superior to get the Swarovski's, because I thought if I had a problem they would take care of me.

Sorry to hear about this, especially since there is SO much praise for Swaro. My Swaro LRF fogged up, and it lived a fairly sheltered life as well. I've heard that Swaros are delicate, as Brad mentioned, from several people. Never thought much about it.

Didn't want to kick salt into a wound, but was going to say that there are probably several $450 binos that would be better than those old 8x30 SLC. In fact, my 7x36 Zen Ray ED2 completely smoked my SLC 8x30 in every way. I sold those Swaro as they did nothing better than the Zen Rays. Exterior build quality might have been better on the Swaro, but given your experience...

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The upside to all this is I will do business with one of our great sponsors in the future..... Doug @ C.L.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The upside to all this is I will do business with one of our great sponsors in the future..... Doug @ C.L.

My brother picked up some Meopta Meopro's open box from CL waiting for his Swaro's to get fixed...At that time we didn't even know if they could be fixed and there was still lots of hunting to do..

We are completely underwhelmed by the Meoptas..The focus wheel just don't seem to work right and you are always fiddling with it while glassing.. Very annoying ... You were talking about Zen-Rays...I have a set of ED 3's that blows the Meoptas out of the water..Far closer to the Swaros than the Meopros..

I wouldn't recommend going that way..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Bought my 2nd Gen 7x30 SLC's brand new in 1991. In 2010 I noticed the Dreaded Crystals forming. Called Swaro. They said "We know all about it, send them in." The binos came back entirely updated to 4th Gen Neu style with new housing, eyepieces, new focusing parts, latest dialectic coatings on the prisms, new coatings on the lenses, new armor. For free.

In 1995 bought a pair of 1st Gen 8x30's at a bar in Chama, NM for $200. The 1st Gen are not nearly as good as the later generations, they're not even waterproof. A few years ago the focusing became rachety and I sent them in. Four days after I mailed them I got an email from Swaro laying out my options: They would "restore them to their original condition free of charge but this generation is not up to current Swarovski standards." Or they would entirely update them with the current coatings and new, improved prisms with the Neu housing and eyepieces, and armor. For $500. Last I had known a full update had been around $300. I called and asked why so much more and CS said the update now includes new improved prisms. So I laid my credit card on them.

I have compared my updated 7x30's and 8x30's to lots of binos since, and in the 30-32mm and 20 oz class it is only the 32mm EL/Ultravids/Victorys that beat them. And they are as good as some of the well regarded 2nd tier 42mm binos I've compared them too. I would have to spend $1800 or more to improve what I have for my primary hunting binos. Although I've been told the new Kowa 33mm's are probably the equivalent of the European alpha 32mm's.

I have had nothing but honest dealings with Swaro and people I know have had nothing but honest dealings with them. If Swaro says a pair of their used binos have cracked prisms I find it ridiculous to believe they are lying.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had the SLCneu 8x30 that was made in 2008 and it had all the latest greatest coatings available on that model. I also had the Cabelas Euro 8x32HD at the same time and thought the Euro's to be slightly superior so I kept them and sold the Swaro's. High class glass is very subjective.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

There you go........

Fanboy alert.....

Lets review.....

--You buy a used pair of binos but somehow you know they have never been dropped, hit or plum abused.

--Your binos are currently residing in Rhode Island but somehow your long range coast to coast x-ray vision can see the prisms are not cracked but instead the glue has come loose.

--You have amazing god-like extra-sensory perception.

How am I doing.......?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I had the SLCneu 8x30 that was made in 2008 and it had all the latest greatest coatings available on that model. I also had the Cabelas Euro 8x32HD at the same time and thought the Euro's to be slightly superior so I kept them and sold the Swaro's. High class glass is very subjective.

As Shrapnel once posted to the effect "It depends on what we had for breakfast as to which of the alpha glass is best that day."

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.