Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve owned a few Kimber 1911s (all of them work fine...after some work). I usually replace the full length guide rods with GI guide rods, put on VZ grips, and replace the plastic mainspring housings with metal ones.

So, the other day I took delivery on a new TLE II and I noticed right away that some things were different. The finish seems a bit more matte than previous models. The top of the slide is now flat. And the I noticed the mainspring housing is made of metal. I had actually already received an aluminum one from Wilson Combat along with a GI guide rod and spring plug. Guess I’ll return the mainspring housing.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've always liked the concept of the Kimber TLE II. Just don't trust the maker.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

They are the largest manufacturer of 1911s.
Your bad experience is wiped away by the zillions of happy Kimber owners. I notice that you never have anything constructive to say.

I have two kimbers, both have plastic mainspring housings, both have full-length guide rods, both are over 20 years old now. One has over 20,000 rounds, the other about 8000. They just work. And I'm pleased.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla

I notice that you never have anything constructive to say.

I said I liked the concept. That's constructive.

Here's more constructive: It may well be that they are excellent 1911s. My experience has been otherwise, however. I usually go with my experience.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by dla

Here's more constructive: It may well be that they are excellent 1911s. My experience has been otherwise, however. I usually go with my experience.

With which models of Kimbers did you have bad experiences?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by dla

Two 1911s and one short, lightweight, bolt action rifle in .308 Winchester (84M). All back in the 1990s. Maybe they've got their act together now, though.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by dla

Two 1911s and one short, lightweight, bolt action rifle in .308 Winchester (84M). All back in the 1990s. Maybe they've got their act together now, though.

To be honest, the only thing original on my first Kimber 1911 is the frame! It was a Custom II with external extractor. It never fed reliably from any magazine, to include Wilson Combat. It went back to Kimber twice. The second time, it came back with all new guts and a new upper half using the internal extractor. That was 2004 and the thing has like a top since.

When I ordered this TLE, I went ahead and bought replacement parts for everything I didn’t like on my Custom II. It seems like some of the cheap stuff on the Custom II has been replaced by quality steel parts on the currently MFGed TLE I just bought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kimber 1911 external extractor was a complete screw up.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Only thing that ever needed fixing on mine was a slide release. Other than that, its perfect. Even that I'm not 100% was the guns issue and not mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimber shot themselves in the foot when they went to the external extractor, but since they've gone back to the internal version, they've been pretty much OK, especially considering the volume that they produce. The are not custom guns by any means of the word, but overall, are as good as most other production 1911's

I've worked on quite a few & all were pretty good...........minor tuning, mainly.

Their newer mags a OK too, but I will use only Tripp Cobra Mags so that takes away that potential issue.

I have 2 TLE II's of my own, a 5" & a 4" Pro with a bull barrel. Yes, I cleaned everything up, tuned the extractor & set the right tension, & disabled the FPS (with a simple FP change) before I ever fired them & both have been absolutely 100% (as in zero malfunctions) since day one with a variety of ammo.

Always said I'd never have a bull barrel gun, but after spending time with a Wilson Combat bull barrel gun, I changed my mind but didn't want to pay the Wilson price for one, hence the Kimber Pro....................not at all disappointed in the least.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Only thing that ever needed fixing on mine was a slide release. Other than that, its perfect. Even that I'm not 100% was the guns issue and not mine.

What was wrong with it? Reason I ask is that my old Kimber will throw out the slide stop just enough to lock up the gun after the last round is fired. I know it’s due to the Wilson style follower. It works fine with the steel follower mags. I haven’t compared the slide stop to others.

I know they’re MIM, but that never bothered me since it’s not a carry gun.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Kimber shot themselves in the foot when they went to the external extractor, but since they've gone back to the external version, they've been pretty much OK, especially considering the volume that they produce. The are not custom guns by any means of the word, buy overall, are as good as most other production 1911's

I've worked on quite a few & all were pretty good...........minor tuning, mainly.

They're newer mags a OK too, but I will use only Tripp Cobra Mags so that takes away that potential isssue.

I have 2 TLE II's of my own, a 5" & a 4" Pro with a bull barrel. Yes, I cleaned everything up, tuned the extractor & set the right tension, & disabled the FPS (with a simple FP change) before I ever fired them & both have been absolutely 100% (as in zero malfunctions) since day one with a variety of ammo.

Always said I'd never have a bull barrel gun, but after spending time with a Wilson Combat bull barrel gun, I changed my mind but didn't want to pay the Wilson price for one, hence the Kimber Pro....................not at all disappointed in the least.

MM

It doesn’t take much to make the gun crowd turn on a product. We don’t forget! Even if its been 15 years since the switch back to internal extractors!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, you're right about that.

I've never seen a Kimber with the internal extractor that some minor work couldn't fix; I do think their bad rap, especially here, is somewhat overstated.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 18 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.