Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you forgotten already???

John Wayne movies have turned your brain into styrofoam.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
10,000 miles on Mobil 1 but change the filter weekly!

Oh, wait, wrong thread. Damn!

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 19352012
Just want to hear everyone's opinions or prophetic truths, whichever. Thanks

20 years in, my husquavarna is running like a top. I burn a woodstove as primary heat. I ran that saw like a rented mule too. Husky with stihl chain

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Got to go with the Stihl. Huskeys are fine too, but don't balance well for me. Fell timber in my earlier days. We don't play with those little 24 inch bars though. 32-36 inch bar depending on how tall you are, were the norm. The great Pacific Northwest used to have some nice timber and sawmills. Now more tree farms and wood processing plants.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Stihl 036 Pro running as well as the day I bought it in the Spring of 2000. But since I need a backup for everything I own :-) I bought a Stihl MS 261 C-M in the fall of 2018. That is another fine saw.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a brand new Husky freeze up in cold weather, not Stihl's.

Attached Images
Saws.jpg (19.65 KB, 342 downloads)

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Years ago, when I started heating my house with wood and needed a saw, I bought an older used Husky 266 SE from a friend and it served me well for a number of years. I no longer heat with wood and the saw hasn't been touched in over 15 years but had a need recently to get it going again. I assumed it would need to go into the shop for a work over so my wife told me to just buy a new saw. I was fired up about a new saw so started looking at Husky and Stihl which seem to be the preferred saws around here. I then got a wild hair, cleaned up the old saw and mixed up a fresh batch of fuel and tried to start it. It took a bit of effort, but finally started and seemed to run fine. I bought a couple of new chains, cleared some deadfall off our land and cut a couple truck loads of fire wood. That old saw ran and cut great - as good or better than it did years ago when I was using it regularily. I was kind of disappointed about not getting a new saw but other than being heavy, this old Husky is flawless.

I have no idea what the best chainsaw is, but I'm keeping the one I got...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Football is 5 hours away .
Waiting for a cast iron query next .

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Looks like he's got the 'Husky' work done and is grinning because his buddy with the Stihl is coming to finish the log.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do you self a favor and ask the sales guys about the chain size (WIDTH).... and learn that first.

The smallest width chains don’t do anything - the cheapest Stihl saw and pole saws tend to use those and are NOT for volume cutting...
Then you have the 2 bigger sizes - the largest of which is for trunks and main branches.

A Stihl 261 or 270 class machine is a good all around trim up or saw your wife can use, but too small for cutting a big big tree trunks- it can be done, but it will take so long you’ll want a bigger saw.

A 362/361 is the smallest saw that uses the wider chain size, and they can tear through a 3-4 foot diameter trunk with ease. this is the saw most of the power companies run around with to section big limbs that take down lines. This is the classic Farm boss type of saw..

If you want to go nutz get a 441 / 442 Stihl - this is the dude they use to cut a stump at ground level... heavy SOB.. and it’s generally the only time they use it.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Find one made in China. Loan it to your neighbors. They won't bother you much later on.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A Husky 372xp is a legend. Oregon chain with a Stihl file. The Stihl file for Oregon 3/8 chain is 0.1mm smaller diameter. The chain cutter style is based on what species of wood you cut and the methods used to harvest. In the great white north the semi-chisel is the best for me. All the wood is skidded to the processing location. This hard on chains, (dirty wood), but good on backs.

Last edited by MM879; 01/19/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used to recommend Dolmar then Stihl. Now I start with Stihl and maybe Husqvarna. The rest aren't on my lists anymore.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once you go ECHO you'll never go back. Recovering STIHLaholic. Stihl is good but Echo will out cut them pound for pound.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Stihl (husky, Jonsered) dolmar

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Stihls at work all the time.
Great saws, but heavy as a sack of bricks.
For everything but the most industrial logging, I prefer a Echo....hands down.
Way lighter, easier starting and super maneuverable.
YMMV.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I really need to know is which ones of the saw companies are on the Official Anti-Communist Campfire Boycott List.

I'd hate to buy a (insert saw brand here) only to find out it was on the schiedt list.

Geno

PS I just got off the seance line with Field Grade...................he says get a Stihl.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a big Stihl 066 with a 36" bar, but it's a bear to start, and heavy as hell. Now I buy the professional grade Huskys. They can sit over the Summer filled with Ethanol pump gas, and still start on the 1st or 2nd pull in the Fall.

Last edited by Biebs; 01/19/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve been pretty happy with Stihl, I ran an 026 for 23 years then went to a MS361 several years ago if you don’t mind the extra weight the 361/362 is a cutting machine! I also have a bigger Makita/Dolmar saw that has been a great running saw.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Every major manufacturer has winners and losers in their lineup, so not a one size fits all. As a rule, f you buy a professional model from any maker it will be a good saw. Husqvarna particularly has had issues with their autotune saws though. They seem to have gotten the kinks out after a few years.

Best bang for the buck is undoubtedly the Echo CS 590 which can be found new for $375 or so. Be warned though, Echo saws are tuned too lean from the factory. A proper tune and if you are up to it, simple muffler mod works wonders on them for power and durability.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.