Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Matty99669
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Lots of expert bear advice here. The bear I lost was 150 yards away. I was on the south shore if Tustemena lake about a mile east of Nicholai creek. Anybody whos been there can tell you the bluffs are almost vertical. My first shot was slightly into the bone on his right shoulder. It was a very obvious hit and we could clearly see it. The second was while he was trying to claw his way up the bluff at 2mph also a clearly seen impact. After that he was in the alders. The blood trail was marked at almost waist high on brush and grass. Neither were leg shots. Its possible the second shot never made it into lungs/heart. It was 6-10" further rear than I would have liked. This is the first bear I have ever lost. Im at a loss for while Im catching so much crap over bullet choice. Right on sierras website for this bullet its recommended for Alaskan brown bear. Ive shot two moose with this same load. No problems. Also, I believe I did mention this is my second season reloading. Im certainly no expert. I put my time in at the range and in the backyard. My accuracy and dedication cant be questioned.

Anytime someone says their accuracy can't be questioned I'd immediately question their accuracy. It sounds to me reading some of the posts that your ego is wrapped up in this. My suggestion would be to leave the ego behind. No one is perfect. And people are giving you feedback on your bullet choice based on their personal experiences. Just because a manufacturer puts a picture of an animal beside a bullet doesn't mean that bullet is a great choice.

Never said I was perfect. I did say that two of us watched the impact from both bullets and they looked pretty good.

You sure have danced around what other bullets you tried in that .338 win mag....

Not dancing around it. Just didnt feel like walking out to my shop at -15 to check. Im here now though. Hornady 225gr sst, berger 250 geh (second best accuracy out of those), nosler 225gr spitzer, barnes tsx 185 gr (for a caribou hunt but couldnt get the groups tighter than 10" at 300 yards), speer grandslam 250gr, and hornady 250gr interlock. Powders ive used in .338 are h4831sc, imr 4350, and h380.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because it’s not needed. The 338 Win Mag is about the perfect Bear cartridge. If you can’t do it with that round, then you need to reconsider why your hunting. Bigger gun, more recoil, will lead to less accuracy. Which means more Bears running around with holes in them. And now there pissed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by JBabcock
I wouldn’t use a 7mm, I’m sure you could do it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a 30-06. Especially with today’s bullets. Like all things regarding hunting, bullet placement is paramount. Things get dicey when holes are poked into animals that can and will kill you, that are not immediately terminal. The last bear I shot, with an excellent bullet placement that proved fatal for him, still covered about 60 yards straight towards me faster than you can imagine. Fortunately he died before he arrived at my location. Big Bears require serious attention to proper bullet placement. It’s really that simple.

30-06 really more powerful than a 7mm mag?

No, but you can run heavier bullets and make bigger holes. You don’t need speed. You need penetration and good bullets.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
I wouldn’t use a 7mm, I’m sure you could do it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a 30-06. Especially with today’s bullets. Like all things regarding hunting, bullet placement is paramount. Things get dicey when holes are poked into animals that can and will kill you, that are not immediately terminal. The last bear I shot, with an excellent bullet placement that proved fatal for him, still covered about 60 yards straight towards me faster than you can imagine. Fortunately he died before he arrived at my location. Big Bears require serious attention to proper bullet placement. It’s really that simple.

30-06 really more powerful than a 7mm mag?

No, but you can run heavier bullets and make bigger holes. You don’t need speed. You need penetration and good bullets.

Interesting you suggested this guy run a 30-06 rather than a 7mm mag for "heavier bullets and make bigger holes". Exactly the reason I want a bigger rifle. Im glad you came to your senses...

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Sierra 225 gr sbt

Didn't know Sierra made a 225 .338 bullet...

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They make a 215 SBT, 225 pro hunter and 250 SBT plus 2 Matchkings.

Last edited by TJAY; 01/18/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks.

Didn't know they came out with a 225.

He said sbt, so I was a bit confused!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Matty99669, Don’t give up yet on your .338 WM. We’re big fans of the Barnes Bullets. I ( just my opinion) think you are doing yourself an injustice by only trying the 185’s. If you are thinking long range shooting (caribou), I think that you may be better served with a heavier, higher BC bullet. We’re running 225 TTSX’s in my wife’s .338 WM @ 2950 (yes we’re pushing them pretty hard) and getting 2 to 2 1/2” three shoot groups @ 300 yards, from a “box stock” Win. Model 70.
I think these (provided you can make them group) will be a great bullet for your application. The heavier, higher BC bullets will give great penetration on the big animals, yet perform quite well at extended ranges. If you compare these to the 185’s I believe you’ll see higher energy, as flat or flatter trajectories at longer ranges, less wind drift, and because of the greater weight.....much better penetration on the big stuff. With quite a few elk, 1 bear, and 1 moose, all one shot kills.....we’ve yet to recover a bullet. I didn’t mention the deer and antelope.......they were pass through as well! grin

Good Luck, I hope you find something that works for you. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/18/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Lots of expert bear advice here. The bear I lost was 150 yards away. I was on the south shore if Tustemena lake about a mile east of Nicholai creek. Anybody whos been there can tell you the bluffs are almost vertical. My first shot was slightly into the bone on his right shoulder. It was a very obvious hit and we could clearly see it. The second was while he was trying to claw his way up the bluff at 2mph also a clearly seen impact. After that he was in the alders. The blood trail was marked at almost waist high on brush and grass. Neither were leg shots. Its possible the second shot never made it into lungs/heart. It was 6-10" further rear than I would have liked. This is the first bear I have ever lost. Im at a loss for while Im catching so much crap over bullet choice. Right on sierras website for this bullet its recommended for Alaskan brown bear. Ive shot two moose with this same load. No problems. Also, I believe I did mention this is my second season reloading. Im certainly no expert. I put my time in at the range and in the backyard. My accuracy and dedication cant be questioned.

Anytime someone says their accuracy can't be questioned I'd immediately question their accuracy. It sounds to me reading some of the posts that your ego is wrapped up in this. My suggestion would be to leave the ego behind. No one is perfect. And people are giving you feedback on your bullet choice based on their personal experiences. Just because a manufacturer puts a picture of an animal beside a bullet doesn't mean that bullet is a great choice.

Never said I was perfect. I did say that two of us watched the impact from both bullets and they looked pretty good.

You sure have danced around what other bullets you tried in that .338 win mag....

Not dancing around it. Just didnt feel like walking out to my shop at -15 to check. Im here now though. Hornady 225gr sst, berger 250 geh (second best accuracy out of those), nosler 225gr spitzer, barnes tsx 185 gr (for a caribou hunt but couldnt get the groups tighter than 10" at 300 yards), speer grandslam 250gr, and hornady 250gr interlock. Powders ive used in .338 are h4831sc, imr 4350, and h380.

First things first ditch the h4831, imr 4350 and h 380... go buy some h4350, fed 250 primers.. second go over to this website http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading-reloading-bullets.html order some 250 partitions, 250 accubonds and while you are at it order some 250/252 gr e-tips.. If you can't find h4350 try to find some RL19, but h4350 is the definite standard for the 338 win mag.

Last edited by 79S; 01/18/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

First things first ditch the h4831, imr 4350 and h 380... go buy some h4350, fed 250 primers.. second go over to this website http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading-reloading-bullets.html order some 250 partitions, 250 accubonds and while you are at it order some 250/252 gr e-tips.. If you can't find h4350 try to find some RL19, but h4350 is the definite standard for the 338 win mag.

Interesting. There was an old timer at the range last year who was really pushing h4831sc because he said it wasnt as temperature sensitive. He said it is excelent for real cold weather. I have a buddy who keeps telling me to try RL19 also.

IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try 67.0-67.5gr h4350.. but if you are still wanting another rifle find a 375 Ruger and shoot 270gr tsx or 300gr tsx out of it..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Matty99669, A couple of things pertaining to handloading for you .338 WM. We use a slower burning powder than is normally recommended by many load manuals and other handloaders, which will necessitate a compressed load. Compressed loads are just a “fact of life” for us. We’re running RL 22 in the wife’s .338WM, which many feel is not temperature stable....though we’ve not had issues. I would suggest that you attempt to find a powder of similar burn rate as the RL 22 , but regarded as “temperature stable”!

Also, going back to my post mentioning the Barnes 225 TTSX. This bullet would serve you well on Sitka deer to the biggest Browns, and would be good on your caribou from muzzle to excess of 500 yards. That’s versatility! We use one bullet, one load, one zero for all of our big game hunting.....it just makes things simple! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matty, you have received some good solid advice here and the only things I have to offer is that with most premium bullets ( TSX, Partitions, Swift, Northfork, Interbonds , etc) the 338 is about as good a bear rifle as you can buy.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In 2019 I shot 3 bears.
First was a spring black bear (350lb.)I shot 3 times from 80 yards. First shot was shoulder/lung, second was lung/lung, third was lung/heart. He still had about 45 seconds of fight in him after the third shot.
Second bear was a brown bear from 150 yards. Hit him twice. First shot was shoulder into chest. He ran uphill and I sent a quartering shot just behind his ribs into his chest cavity. I waited 45min and followed him. Blood everywhere, after 1/2 mile I found bone fragments from his shoulder. I followed him through a burned area of forest for 4.5 miles and lost him when he crossed a river.
Third was a brown bear a few weeks later in late fall. First shot was double lung from 100 yards. Watched him run across a creek and onto a hillside. Second shot was lung/gut from about 400 yards. 9 foot bear. I found one bullet. It had great expansion, penetrated about 2 feet and was intact.
Im shooting a Tikka T3 lite .338wm with my favorite reloads. 225 sp's (its what my rifle likes). Ive had problems not dropping caribou also. Its not a matter of accuracy. Im just tired of chasing [bleep]. Especially when its big game a long ways from the boat. Does anyone have moose/brown bear experience with .375 ultra mag .416 ruger, or .416 rem mag? Specifically have you had multiple well placed shots and watched them keep running?

I was stationed with a guy in Montana in the early 70's that couldn't kill an elk with his 7mm Rem Mag. He gave up on it as no good and got himself a 458 Win Mag. Nothing changed except the size and weight of the bullet and the recoil. He still couldn't kill them. Some time's you need to look beyond the rifle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Matty, you have received some good solid advice here and the only things I have to offer is that with most premium bullets ( TSX, Partitions, Swift, Northfork, Interbonds , etc) the 338 is about as good a bear rifle as you can buy.

Thank goodness true experience has spoken. This thread could have ended pages ago and been fine with Phil's wisdom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was the bear control wildlife manager for the WFPA and Weyerhaeuser for over a decade based in the Snoqualmie Wa. region. However I travelled to where issues came up.

A consideration for folks that may be unaware. These areas were tree farms, not parks or wilderness areas. They were farms just like corn, or potatoes, onions, whatever. Its confusing because the crop looks like a park not a vegetable. Bears in this habitat struggle with the rain volume during the early spring warm up. This begins flooding dens and areas they would normally still be sleeping in late march or April. Bear in this habitat are a bit migratory. Not horizontally as most migration is seen but vertically due to temperature and snow pack. They get flooded out and go straight down in elevation to find something to eat. Not much available this early. The trees however have been sucking up water for a month now and that cambium layer is thick soft and functional as food. Unfortunately for the tens of thousands of trees the farm planted,.... every one of them is the same exact age. Unlike a natural forest with trees of every age. So when a bear gets into a 10-12" DBH forest ( Diameter Breast height) these are ripe for the peeling. One bear peeling 20-30 trees a day for nutrition might squeak by. Thats 900 trees a month. Now lets say its 8-12 bears in the same tree farm area. That is pushing 10,000 trees a month for one spring season. This 10-12" DBH size last 2-3 years. (springs) now what have we got? 30-50 thousand dead trees in a few square miles. This was a 55 year investment by the lumber company. Consider they also did commercial thinning at 8-10 years and this entire acreage is now a total loss.

Put this into perspective. If a farmer was losing this much of his crop he is bankrupt, now if he lost this much after a 12 -15 year long investment like an orchardist, that is well beyond bankrupt when you also consider the financial investment and taxes, fire prevention spraying fertilizer and the massive cost of road building and removal the countless appliances, tires rubbih and cars abandoned and dumped.

The bears in Aberdeen Wa. area were taken out in large numbers. I don't recall there being a reduction year over year. For 20 years hundreds were removed and then they replenished and we had the same amount the next year over and over. They were rather small on average usually 150lbs or so. Once in a while we took a big one out that was 300. In the cascades is was different. Sizes were much bigger. Average 225, plenty 300-400 and with a few that would push 500. One at 509 actually!

Skulls were small, not a single 21" skull in many hundreds of bears removed. Quite a lot in the 19" range but mostly 17-18.5" was about the biggest you could hope for. Many of my client hunters looked at me as a rather lucky guy with this job. They seemed to have a fun level of jealousy joking about it and that I had this job. It actually seemed cool to be viewed in this light as a professional bear hunter. However as with many things that you start out enjoying as exciting and fun. It became a bit of a stress to me over time. When I filled out log books and filed the info with F&G the WFPA and Weyerhaeuser it became grotesque. I was killing bears at a volume that was embarrassing and emotionally difficult for me to deal with at times. Make no mistake, I was very experienced at this by now. Nobody was better at finding and killing bears than I was. On the surface that sounds boastful. However in my heart it was not at all. Sure I could state numbers that nobody would believe and instantly lose my credibility in a conversation as fantasy or boastful, even "liar". That really hurt me. Not only was I already feeling this in my heart but other sportsman and the environmentally challenged people would say it to me, or with the advent of this internet forum format write the most hateful things about me. Either,.... That there was no way I was doing this at the volumes stated, or that I actually was doing it and I should be struck by lightening for that!

Either way, it was a no win for me in this field. So another fella ( Ralph for those that knew him) and I took it upon ourselves to try a program that would feed bears an alternate food source for the first month of spring. It was a booming success that went from a few tons of Land O Lakes Bear feed we developed with Wa. F&G biologists. That wa had manufactured in Oregon, to over 90,000 lbs the last year of the program. There was no middle ground with this. Either we killed bears as fast as we could or we fed them to the point the cub population had no more natural mortality, (too big a topic to cover here). This grew a population of bears nobody could have imagined. I was killing problem bears that had been on a feeding station that would be less than 8 years old an over 450-500 lbs. Nearly unheard of in nature, at least in the PNW. Food volume was increasing every year by 10-20% that cost was unmanageable and tree damage was starting back up where food was unavailable. We now had both problems.

So if you folks can open your minds to the challenges of a FARM not a forest and realize that this was not a boastful hero status event for me, but rather an exciting thing for a 30 year old guy to be offered at the time. I do understand the farm challenge and the business model, as well as the difficult ugly situation and the public view. It was a very difficult almost bipolar experience as the guy actually doing this work!

Yeah I know what kills bears, I know how they live, how to find them, I lived this life for a good portion of my adulthood. It is not something people would believe me about the stories, or if they do they condemn me for it. It was a job, it ended with investor challenges and property reallocation. There are some pockets of this going on in both USA and Canada. I still get calls to discuss solutions and options they have. I've not killed a bear in a damage control program for a long time. My last was a predatory bear on calves not trees. Its a huge topic with one of the most diverse animals in the world. Think about this one issue and there are many more. Its named after a colour, yet they are in more colours than any wild animal I can think of. Thanks for the time here to explain this better.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Pretty cool Jim, thanks for sharing

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I was the bear control wildlife manager for the WFPA and Weyerhaeuser for over a decade based in the Snoqualmie Wa. region. However I travelled to where issues came up.

A consideration for folks that may be unaware. These areas were tree farms, not parks or wilderness areas. They were farms just like corn, or potatoes, onions, whatever. Its confusing because the crop looks like a park not a vegetable. Bears in this habitat struggle with the rain volume during the early spring warm up. This begins flooding dens and areas they would normally still be sleeping in late march or April. Bear in this habitat are a bit migratory. Not horizontally as most migration is seen but vertically due to temperature and snow pack. They get flooded out and go straight down in elevation to find something to eat. Not much available this early. The trees however have been sucking up water for a month now and that cambium layer is thick soft and functional as food. Unfortunately for the tens of thousands of trees the farm planted,.... every one of them is the same exact age. Unlike a natural forest with trees of every age. So when a bear gets into a 10-12" DBH forest ( Diameter Breast height) these are ripe for the peeling. One bear peeling 20-30 trees a day for nutrition might squeak by. Thats 900 trees a month. Now lets say its 8-12 bears in the same tree farm area. That is pushing 10,000 trees a month for one spring season. This 10-12" DBH size last 2-3 years. (springs) now what have we got? 30-50 thousand dead trees in a few square miles. This was a 55 year investment by the lumber company. Consider they also did commercial thinning at 8-10 years and this entire acreage is now a total loss.

Put this into perspective. If a farmer was losing this much of his crop he is bankrupt, now if he lost this much after a 12 -15 year long investment like an orchardist, that is well beyond bankrupt when you also consider the financial investment and taxes, fire prevention spraying fertilizer and the massive cost of road building and removal the countless appliances, tires rubbih and cars abandoned and dumped.

The bears in Aberdeen Wa. area were taken out in large numbers. I don't recall there being a reduction year over year. For 20 years hundreds were removed and then they replenished and we had the same amount the next year over and over. They were rather small on average usually 150lbs or so. Once in a while we took a big one out that was 300. In the cascades is was different. Sizes were much bigger. Average 225, plenty 300-400 and with a few that would push 500. One at 509 actually!

Skulls were small, not a single 21" skull in many hundreds of bears removed. Quite a lot in the 19" range but mostly 17-18.5" was about the biggest you could hope for. Many of my client hunters looked at me as a rather lucky guy with this job. They seemed to have a fun level of jealousy joking about it and that I had this job. It actually seemed cool to be viewed in this light as a professional bear hunter. However as with many things that you start out enjoying as exciting and fun. It became a bit of a stress to me over time. When I filled out log books and filed the info with F&G the WFPA and Weyerhaeuser it became grotesque. I was killing bears at a volume that was embarrassing and emotionally difficult for me to deal with at times. Make no mistake, I was very experienced at this by now. Nobody was better at finding and killing bears than I was. On the surface that sounds boastful. However in my heart it was not at all. Sure I could state numbers that nobody would believe and instantly lose my credibility in a conversation as fantasy or boastful, even "liar". That really hurt me. Not only was I already feeling this in my heart but other sportsman and the environmentally challenged people would say it to me, or with the advent of this internet forum format write the most hateful things about me. Either,.... That there was no way I was doing this at the volumes stated, or that I actually was doing it and I should be struck by lightening for that!

Either way, it was a no win for me in this field. So another fella ( Ralph for those that knew him) and I took it upon ourselves to try a program that would feed bears an alternate food source for the first month of spring. It was a booming success that went from a few tons of Land O Lakes Bear feed we developed with Wa. F&G biologists. That wa had manufactured in Oregon, to over 90,000 lbs the last year of the program. There was no middle ground with this. Either we killed bears as fast as we could or we fed them to the point the cub population had no more natural mortality, (too big a topic to cover here). This grew a population of bears nobody could have imagined. I was killing problem bears that had been on a feeding station that would be less than 8 years old an over 450-500 lbs. Nearly unheard of in nature, at least in the PNW. Food volume was increasing every year by 10-20% that cost was unmanageable and tree damage was starting back up where food was unavailable. We now had both problems.

So if you folks can open your minds to the challenges of a FARM not a forest and realize that this was not a boastful hero status event for me, but rather an exciting thing for a 30 year old guy to be offered at the time. I do understand the farm challenge and the business model, as well as the difficult ugly situation and the public view. It was a very difficult almost bipolar experience as the guy actually doing this work!

Yeah I know what kills bears, I know how they live, how to find them, I lived this life for a good portion of my adulthood. It is not something people would believe me about the stories, or if they do they condemn me for it. It was a job, it ended with investor challenges and property reallocation. There are some pockets of this going on in both USA and Canada. I still get calls to discuss solutions and options they have. I've not killed a bear in a damage control program for a long time. My last was a predatory bear on calves not trees. Its a huge topic with one of the most diverse animals in the world. Think about this one issue and there are many more. Its named after a colour, yet they are in more colours than any wild animal I can think of. Thanks for the time here to explain this better.

I have Ralph Flowers book so I understand the deal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I have Ralph Flowers' book Education of a Bear Hunter. Good read, and like you said, lots and lots of dead bears.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I referenced Ralph in my post. He and I had a long successful and hard working time together. He mentored me in many ways during this period. Together he and I developed the supplemental bear feeding program. We both had the same feelings about the amount of bears killed and to try something different. Our partnered success was so much better than anticipated the problem got bigger with such a healthy plentiful new food source.

Big males monopolized the feed stations, and the other bears peeled trees all around them. The big bears stopped chasing down cubs to eat,... and just sat fat and happy on an endless food supply. All the cubs grew up knowing only that peeling trees was normal. It was proven to be a learned behaviour. Moving bears from the tree-farm with a live trap to remote areas or different locations caused tree peeling to begin in locations it was unheard of prior. That ended the option to move them.

Moving bears over 100 miles with collars and ear tags often had them back to the exact spot they were caught in a month so. Those we referred to as " double dippers" were removed for good at the next opportunity. The WFPA had me write an educational reference book called "Solving Washingtons bear problems" I have a single copy remaining. They owned the rights it was their book. I just authored it for them. It was while I was developing comments in that book that the realization of how many bears we took out began to impact me. Much of the book was based on the new feeding program.

WDFG was instrumental to help us develop that feed. We caught bears and drew blood the Vet would analyze it and our various recipes were used to match the blood draw of wild bears to be sure they had the right mix of nutrition and it was good enough to have them eat it. Originally the feed was refrigerated and would spoil if is was not eaten soon. It was also a soft pellet that would be damaged in a pickup bouncing on bad roads. That was about every road I used!

After a few years purina and our original land o lakes business created a harder non perishable pellet that we could use with equal success. However the development of the bigger feed stations was needed. I experimented with so many designs all of which the bears destroyed or cost so much to build that we could not afford them. Eventually I built a 55 gallon size drum with some tricky angles and baffle measurements and some interesting welding requirements.

They were easy to mass produce once the templates were made and we had about 100 of them built. I was running 60 of them myself the other two guys shared responsibility for 30 with 10 as spares. The bears still managed to destroy these once in a while too. This has been a good reflection for me actually. Part of this period of my life was at the time the highpoint of my life at 28-30 years old. The best was yet to come for me, but this was a formative part of my future!

I do feel that it better balanced my communication skills with anti hunters. I learned empathy for the first time in my life doing this. Maybe just a natural development of maturity too. I was on the cover of the Seattle Times News Paper with a reporter filling a station with feed. They had me doing all the media driven requirements. I was on at the time the biggest radio show in the the region. Bob Rivers and Spike Oneal had me on to share the program results and vision. Not exactly celebrity level stuff but for a kid growing up in the farm country feeding his family hunting with traps and a sheridan air rfile it was a big deal for me!

Moving to South Africa was like going to Hollywood for a young actor after that! Wow ..... That was where everything exploded for my hunting and wildlife management business future!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.