Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 257heaven
We wore my wife's volvo out.

No....seriously. It was a 740. Cool car, but traded it for an SUV and that's all she's had. Haven't looked at the newer Volvo SUV's.

I tell ya, that takes some real effort to wear out a Volvo....even a 740...

I had to scrap one when I left MN.. that had close to, if not over 400K on it, that I bought new in 84...

The motor was fine and still had no sludge built up in the engine.. looked brand new when you looked down the oil cap hole when it was off...just like 10 or 11 years of MN road Salt finally took its toll....

I think Hondas and Toyotas are as durable as the older Volvos were....

I've worked on newer Volvos over at the college automotive program... I'm not as impressed with them as the ones back in the 70s, 80s and 90s....

Seem they are more concerned with electrical conveniences over reliability like they use to be...

I had a friend at work back in MN, whose wife was from Norway....her dad was a doctor over in Norway...
Kirk would buy a new Volvo wagon every 3 years, and then he would ship it to Norway when they went to visit his wife's family..
He'd ship it for his Father in Law to buy it...

Back in the 80s a new Volvo Wagon was like $15K stateside... the same car in Norway, was like $45K, once the price included all the taxes Norway put on them....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would rather walk than drive a Volvo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never been to a rally race but I can assure you I will not be standing on the wipeout side of a hard turn like some of those dumasses.

That Volvo that sheared off the tree looked stout. Flip it upright and that damage might buff right out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Everyone used to bag Volvos of the 70s and 80s for their big rubber bumpers, but the fact was that they could survive being "bumped" without leaving so much as a mark. Nowadays your typical car has plastic at front and rear, and any little bump means replacing the whole panel. Yes, I do understand crush structures and energy absorption, but that shouldn't mean that the front and rear of a car should be sacrificial even on minor contact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its sad what nascar became.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
I would rather walk than drive a Volvo

Well if I was driving by in one of my old Volvos, if you had your thumb out, I'd pick ya walkin...

if you still would rather walk than ride in my Volvo, I'd let ya and wish ya a nice day...

but on a Saskatchewan winter day in January, I'd bet you wouldn't be as picky...

a Volvo's heater put out enough, you could back a potato in the front passenger seat...

and where you live, those things would start even if the starter could get just a couple of rpms out of the stater....

they were a great winter car....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.