Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Up here, we are on DST right now. We never go off. Come summer, we jump ahead another hour to Daylight-Daylight time. Solar noon then is about 2pm clock time. Big deal, with out long summer daylight hours.

That came about when they consolidated Alaska's time zones. Hawaii is due south of us, but has a one hour time difference.

Really, it's not a big deal in figuring out other times zones, and it is nice some parts of the year, some parts of the state to have the extra daylight after work hours.

Last edited by las; 01/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Setting the time isn't really an arbitrary thing. Originally and ideally, time zones were set so that the sun was due south at clock noon in the center of the time zone. It's an astronomical setting and its base is the observatory at Greenwich, England. In the military, confusion was avoided by referring to "Greenwich time" (which was eventually shortened to Zulu Time for reasons only the military knows.)

Changing to permanent DST would screw that all up. Staying on Standard time is the only sensible course.
Take a look at a map of the Mtn time zone, specifically southern ID and SE Oregon. That had to be political and economic to tie the whole area to Salt Lake. If they'd continued to follow the MT-ID border straight south to the UT-NV border, it would have split a number of Idaho's larger population areas. Since there's a large mountainous area with a low population in central ID, they split the state there, leaving north ID tied to Spokane.

[Linked Image from c.tadst.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those two Idaho jogs are nuts. They could've come straight down the western border of Idaho. Ditto that silly line on the east side that could've come right down the border of Montana and Wyoming, then a small jog down Colorado. Instead, this cuts three and a bit of a fourth state in two. Doing it neatly would have put the center of the time zone right on the four corners line - just about where it needs to be. And let Canada and Mexico draw their own lines.

I'm in the Standard Time all the time camp. What are you going to do in that "extra" hour of daylight in the winter? Golf? Swim? Sun bathe? Winter only gives us seven to eight hours of daylight anyway, and what you artificially tack onto one end you lose on the other.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rocky, I'm imagining I'm at near the same latitude as you folks there, right near the southern OR border, so likely about the same amount of daylight.

I'd like the extra hour at night, even in winter. No swimming or sunbathing, but I could be out at 1800 still splitting wood or doing outdoor stuff when I'm awake. Now that's it's January 24, it's already getting light at 0630 or so, and I haven't had breakfast yet even, so I sure as heck ain't going out to work in the yard then.
According to the website I just looked at, sunset is at 5:07 this evening. I'd be much happier if it was 6:07 PM.

But that's 'cause I'm not a morning person.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DST is a contrivance of little merit. Want more daylight after work? Change the work schedule and leave the rest of us alone. Be a morning person if needed. Try 7-3 or 3-11 for work. If that doesn't work for you try 11 pm-7am. I did that for near 30 years and was fair comfy with driving in darkness. Hell, weren't for that I'd have never got to run over a crocodile on the way to work...didn't spill my coffee BTW.

Whole deal is little more than a fantasy. The solar noon is a good place for 12:00. After all, they didn't name the movie High 1PM did they?

GMT is a good foundation for the planet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
DST is a contrivance of little merit. Want more daylight after work? Change the work schedule and leave the rest of us alone. Be a morning person if needed. Try 7-3 or 3-11 for work. If that doesn't work for you try 11 pm-7am. I did that for near 30 years and was fair comfy with driving in darkness. Hell, weren't for that I'd have never got to run over a crocodile on the way to work...didn't spill my coffee BTW.

Whole deal is little more than a fantasy. The solar noon is a good place for 12:00. After all, they didn't name the movie High 1PM did they?

GMT is a good foundation for the planet.

Sure,

like High Tea, tweed, "u"s mixed in with "o"s in words like "colour", and Royal Families.

Geno

PS, I will give them the .303 as a decent idea, and someday I'd like a rook rifle too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, sold my .297-250 about 10 years back.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in Arizona we dont mess with it and we get along just fine.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" (which was eventually shortened to Zulu Time for reasons only the military knows.)

e.

From Wiki:

The time zone using UTC is sometimes denoted UTC±00:00 or by the letter Z—a reference to the equivalent nautical time zone (GMT), which has been denoted by a Z since about 1950. Time zones were identified by successive letters of the alphabet and the Greenwich time zone was marked by a Z as it was the point of origin. The letter also refers to the "zone description" of zero hours, which has been used since 1920 (see time zone history). Since the NATO phonetic alphabet word for Z is "Zulu", UTC is sometimes known as "Zulu time". This is especially true in aviation, where "Zulu" is the universal standard.[22] This ensures that all pilots, regardless of location, are using the same 24-hour clock, thus avoiding confusion when flying between time zones.[23] See the list of military time zones for letters used in addition to Z in qualifying time zones other than Greenwich.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/24/20.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a map of the military time zones. Z is the prime meridian. They're named A through M going east and N through Y going west...with a few variations here and there.

[Linked Image from worldtimezone.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once again someone in the South Dakota legislature has introduced a bill to do away with Daylight time. There's also a bill to eliminate sales tax on firearms. That one isn't going anywhere either.

Say. how about changing to Universal Coordinated Time (UTC). It's the metric system of time.Time at 0° longitude. No cumbersome time zones, no ridiculous jogs.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you going to do in that "extra" hour of daylight in the winter?

Feed the livestock or hunt after my day job.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I love DST.. Wish they would keep it year around..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those two Idaho jogs are nuts. They could've come straight down the western border of Idaho. Ditto that silly line on the east side that could've come right down the border of Montana and Wyoming, then a small jog down Colorado. Instead, this cuts three and a bit of a fourth state in two. Doing it neatly would have put the center of the time zone right on the four corners line - just about where it needs to be. And let Canada and Mexico draw their own lines.

I'm in the Standard Time all the time camp. What are you going to do in that "extra" hour of daylight in the winter? Golf? Swim? Sun bathe? Winter only gives us seven to eight hours of daylight anyway, and what you artificially tack onto one end you lose on the other.

You're no doubt retired.

That extra hour means a lot if you work days and are young enough to get use out of afternoon daylight.

As I said, it's the old farts who grumble. The clock is meaningless to most of them.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari

As I said, it's the old farts who grumble. The clock is meaningless to most of them.

Think that a bit of a reach. Clocks were a central nexus in my career and remain so in retirement. I'm not unique.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Flopping the clocks around is retarded.

Just keep it on regular time and move on.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Think that a bit of a reach. Clocks were a central nexus in my career and remain so in retirement. I'm not unique.

No, but it has been determined you are disturbed grin

Geno

PS, all I know is it's friggen dark already. Split a round of wood after putting the chickens to bed at 1715, by 1730 it was getting too dark to work outside. I say move that clock the other way in fall, an hour............maybe two.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want daylight savings time all year 'round.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The argument always comes up about safety for kids waiting for buses. If parents are concerned, why don't they put up a pole at the bus stop with a solar panel and a light on a timer? Prices on panels and LED lights have dropped dramatically and there are some good ones at low prices.

Kids have been waiting on buses and walking to school in the dark in Alaska since public school transportation started up. We equip our kids with reflective items to help them be seen. It's never been an issue.

For us, the time changes are nothing but a pain in the ass as it does nothing for us.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
I want daylight savings time all year 'round.

That would be my choice.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.