Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
“Was an Infantry officer in the US Army Special Forces”

This ^^^^^^^

Operators no longer in service alive or dead are referred to as “Former Special Forces” not “Ex Special Forces”

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by 79S
No mention of the Green Beret?

Special forces pretty much says it all

Copy. ATM machine = Automatic teller machine machine.

If one is in the Army you know the deal when special forces is used. Understand majority who will read the obituary won’t understand, the terminology.

Might be a struggle for someone in Salmon Idaho

??? probably as many Vets in Salmon as in bumfuck Tennessee...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Really

With 5th Group 12 miles up the road here

If you say so.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m helping a friend write an obituary for her father and I want to get it right. He was an officer in the Green Berets. Her verbiage states “ He was in the Army Infantry, Special Forces, as a Green Beret.”

This doesn’t look right. What’s the proper way to identify his service?

P

While US Army Special Forces are known popularly as "Green Berets" they are more correctly known as a Special Forces Officer, Noncommisioned Officer (NCO) or Warrant Officer. You'd probably want to say along the lines of

"He served in the US Army as an Infantry officer where he was a Platoon Leader, Company Commander etc. After his Infantry time he joined the US Special Force where he served as a Operational Detachment Commander and Special Forces Company Commander etc."

Include any wartime service or special duties he did. If you can get hold of his OER it would help you put together a list of his awards and schools.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pharmseller if you don’t have all you think you need. You can PM me and I can send you some links to some 5th Group guys’ local obits here in our local paper.

Maybe things like his battalion, obvious dates of enlisting, promotions, tours, awards, etc.

See a lot of tributes spelled out. And even if it over some, it’s still an important tribute to write all you can include about the soldier.

Good for you for taking on the task.

Previous pastor of my church was ex green beret with 5th.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Evidently he was in for a short period of time, early 60’s pre-Vietnam. Stationed in Germany.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And even if it over some,

Impossible.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pre 1980 ish Special Forces were an additional skill identifier added to an Infantry MOS, i.e. 11B3? I don't remember if it was S or G, i.e. 11B3G. He would have been an Infantry Officer Special Forces qualified and serving in a Special Forces Unit. For the obituary, I would probably put Infantry Officer in the US Army Special Forces (Green Berets).

Somewhere around 1980 Special Forces became their own MOS, 18 instead of 11. That is the Enlisted MOS number, I don't recall the Officer's Specialty Number but it is the same principle.

Those early guys(pre Viet Nam) had some tales of their training, French Foreign Legionnaires training them out at Camp Irwin or Fort Ord. I met one of the first ones one time and he told me that President Kennedy came to Camp Irwin or Ord (my memory) shortly after they were formed and told them there would never be another Bay of Pigs! I buried one of those guys last year or the year before.

Last edited by sbrmike; 01/26/20. Reason: clarification

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pharmseller if you don’t have all you think you need. You can PM me and I can send you some links to some 5th Group guys’ local obits here in our local paper.

Maybe things like his battalion, obvious dates of enlisting, promotions, tours, awards, etc.

See a lot of tributes spelled out. And even if it over some, it’s still an important tribute to write all you can include about the soldier.

former

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Pre 1980 ish Special Forces were an additional skill identifier added to an Infantry MOS, i.e. 11B3? I don't remember if it was S or G, i.e. 11B3G. He would have been an Infantry Officer Special Forces qualified and serving in a Special Forces Unit. For the obituary, I would probably put Infantry Officer in the US Army Special Forces (Green Berets).

Somewhere around 1980 Special Forces became their own MOS, 18 instead of 11. That is the Enlisted MOS number, I don't recall the Officer's Specialty Number but it is the same principle.

Those early guys(pre Viet Nam) had some tales of their training, French Foreign Legionnaires training them out at Camp Irwin or Fort Ord. I met one of the first ones one time and he told me that President Kennedy came to Camp Irwin or Ord (my memory) shortly after they were formed and told them there would never be another Bay of Pigs! I buried one of those guys last year or the year before.

Officer identifier is 18A and Warrants are 180A.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore

former

right
right

< punches self in balls >

Semantics nazis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not to diminish the man's memory nor his service but I would suggest that you be absolutely certain that the deceased was in fact a fully qualified U.S. Army Special Forces officer first before stating such in his obituary.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Slumlord how many times you had your ass whipped slinging that "snake eater" crap around?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.