Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
overreaching at times.

overreacting..............hardly.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, scrimp and save every penny so you can leave it for someone else. Me, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Keep an eye out for other life changing links like: "

"How to Wash Your Hands"

"Chewing Gum Whilst Walking"

and

"Shoelaces, They're Not Just for Grownups Any More!"

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Imagine that... a guy selling something to people who cant afford anything... and he’s getting stupid uber rich doing it.. and the masses praise him as if he was sent here from the heavens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I gotta wonder...........................how many tats do I have to forgo to save up that $1000?

Geno

PS, I try to finance cars at 0% like the "new" one we have now. Why not use Toyota Financial's money to get my wife a newer vehicle instead of eating into our cash?

Depreciation is real.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is no such thing as zero per cent financing. There is interest built in to the price or there's a hook somewhere in the bait.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
There is no such thing as zero per cent financing. There is interest built in to the price or there's a hook somewhere in the bait.

The mind boggling thing to me are the people leasing cars.

For a very small subset of people it makes sense (low mileage drivers who enjoy news cars such they would buy/sell every couple years anyway).

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would think that a whole lot of people look at their available credit as an emergency fund. How many people have a credit card “just for emergencies”.

Ain’t saying it makes financial sense.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve long since moved on. I listened to him in 1998, 1999-2001. Went to a show of his around 2001, drank the kool aid...etc etc. We paid the house off , never financed another car,

Nothing earth shattering about what he says, but when you hear it and realize you’re a slave to all this crap, it wakes a person up.

Have to be living in a cave and dragging your knuckles if you haven’t heard of the dude.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezus.....I am so sick of hearing about this fuggin guy.

Piss on him......I might just go broke to spite him.

Dave fuggin Ramsey. I bet the caksucker has a book he will sell you.......

Jim, you can't buy any more guns that way. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezus.....

Dave fuggin Ramsey. I bet the caksucker has a book he will sell you.......

That's funny. I like Dave, but I think there might be a Jew in the woodpile, because Dave does like to make a Shekel or two. Yes he has a book he will sell you. And a set of cassettes. And he is doing a seminar soon, coming soon to a town near you! Give your Shekels to Dave!!!

Yes I like to listen to Dave. His two main points to build wealth are:

1. Don't get buried in student loan debt. I remember a guy called, he was 26 years old and had $43K in student loan debt. He was working at Burger King and had a 4 year degree in Anthropology. He said he was on the Dean's list.
And Dave said, "So you had a 4.0 average. You are a bright boy, huh? Well then, why, when you were a high school senior, didn't you do a little research, and find out that you can't get a job with a 4 year degree in Anthropology?"

2. Don't buy a new car and don't finance a car. Dave says, you cannot afford a new car unless you have $1 million in assets.
Dave has the statistics, the average payment for a new car is $508, and the average length of loan is 78 months. Six and a half years.
What a fortune a person is paying in interest during that time, and every year, the car drops $3 K in value.

Dave's advice is just common sense to most of us, but, there are a lot of stupid people out there who really need Dave's advice. He is doing the world a favor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't remember if Ramsey said it or someone else, but it's 'if you have to finance a car for more than 3 years, you can't afford it'. These days 5 year loans are very common. People don't add up how much interest they pay during that time. Even at 3 or 4%, it's a lot.

Lol, no, Ramsey didn’t say that.

I like listening to Bruce Williams, he was a good egg. Bob Brinker introduced me to the idea of achieving “critical mass”, or not having to work anymore. Dang it if I didn’t get there, and dang if am not still working just as hard...... having too much fun to quit.

The moral of the story is that it’s good to have goals and a plan to get there.

You're right. I tried to find who did say that but couldn't. Ramsey said to not have a car payment at all. Drive a beater for a while and save what you'd be paying for car payments until you have enough to pay cash for the car you want.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you look at Ramsey's history he screwed up financially about as bad as humanly possible at one point. Most of his advice is geared toward helping people not fall into the same mistakes he made. As a rule his advice is good, but more conservative than most financial experts would recommend. Probably good advice for someone has already screwed up to get back out of debt. Probably not the best advice for people who have not screwed up and are looking to actually make money.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dave likes to cite examples of how you can throw away money buying a new car. You have a 30 year old couple, they each buy a new car every 3 years. I have known couples who do that, not rich people, a paramedic and his wife an xray tech.
Driving the car off the lot, costs $3 grand in immediate depreciation, because now it is a used car. Increased insurance cost, increased tax tag and title, and annual depreciation. A loss on each car of about $6 grand a year.
$12 grand combined, lost each year.

Whereas, do like I did last year, I am a good Dave Ramsey boy, I bought a 9 year old Nissan Frontier, always garaged looks like new, paid $16K cash for it.
Virtually no depreciation, maybe $500 a year.

So the couple is losing, let's call it $10K a year more than the Dave Ramsey guy. Take this couple to age 60, they have lost $300K over the course of their lives, for the privledge of having the new car smell.
But that's not all. Dave loves the stock market, these indexed stocks. Average annual return is 12 percent.
If this couple had put the $10 grand each year into the stock market, in 30 years it would have turned into around $1 million.

So there you go, follow Dave Ramsey and you are a millionaire upon retirement, but, buy new cars all the time, you will be broke, and on Social Security when you retire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We bought a Toyota Highlander last summer. We found a dealer demo with 7k miles, priced $7k below new price. 7k miles is nothing, hardly broken in. The car is immaculate and has most of the warranty left.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
If you look at Ramsey's history he screwed up financially about as bad as humanly possible at one point. Most of his advice is geared toward helping people not fall into the same mistakes he made. As a rule his advice is good, but more conservative than most financial experts would recommend. Probably good advice for someone has already screwed up to get back out of debt. Probably not the best advice for people who have not screwed up and are looking to actually make money.

I don’t agree. Yes, in a sense, Ramsey’s advice on managing your household is conservative by today’s cultural standard: don’t buy it if don’t have the cash to pay for it, and don’t buy a house unless the payment is comparatively small. Invest rather heavily in retirement and pay off your house quickly. We don’t do that in this society much anymore. You could call that conservative, but I’d rather call it prudent.

On the other hand, Ramsey’s advise on investing is much more aggressive than the investment community “consensus”. Keeping a couple in their late fifties invested in the market is enough to give fiduciaries (and annuity salesmen) the heebie-jeebies.

As far as applying to ranching, you could do it, but it would bean awfully small ranch for a long time....... then again, nobody would ranch today if financial returns were a significant consideration.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I laughed my ass off, one called in years ago, paid $3000 for a monkey.

Used to do a Pets and Money hour.

brokedicks blowing $5k on a parrot, salt water fish tanks

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Advice on cars and houses is one thing, but if he tells me that I have to switch from Doritos to the store brand, I'm out.

The greasy Save a Lot generic chips are for the welfare Mamas.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I didn't know people had to be told to save money

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.