Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
Advice on cars and houses is one thing, but if he tells me that I have to switch from Doritos to the store brand, I'm out.

The greasy Save a Lot generic chips are for the welfare Mamas.

nem Clancy’s down nar at th Aldi ain’t bad 😃

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the campfire should pitch in a purchase the Ramsey course for Big Stick..... smile he is the poster boy for what not to do... hahahahhaha

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
I didn't know people had to be told to save money
Yes, they do, and most won't listen. Next time we have a serious recession or depression, watch what happens. It will be a disaster for the majority. They'll lose their jobs, the unemployment funds will go broke, and they'll have nothing left to buy food or pay bills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't remember if Ramsey said it or someone else, but it's 'if you have to finance a car for more than 3 years, you can't afford it'. These days 5 year loans are very common. People don't add up how much interest they pay during that time. Even at 3 or 4%, it's a lot.

I think that's Suze Orman.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing to remember: Half of the population is below median intelligence.

Some folks need the basics, repeated loudly and often, in order to learn and maybe put into practice. Add into that some moral or emotional accompaniment to make it stick better.

Of course, self-identified smart folk can get their financial jimmy in a twist, too.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I laughed my ass off, one called in years ago, paid $3000 for a monkey.

Used to do a Pets and Money hour.

brokedicks blowing $5k on a parrot, salt water fish tanks

What does the Great and Powerful Oz Ramsey have to say about Golden Corral and CiCi's lunch buffets? OK if you don't put them on the Visa card? Good only if you clean your plate? Best if you can find a roach and bring it to the attention of mgmt and get the proverbial free lunch?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I gotta wonder...........................how many tats do I have to forgo to save up that $1000?

Geno

PS, I try to finance cars at 0% like the "new" one we have now. Why not use Toyota Financial's money to get my wife a newer vehicle instead of eating into our cash?

Depreciation is real.

Yes.

But how much does that matter when one is going to drive the car until the wheels fall off?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Everyone has a different relationship with money and a lot of that is passed down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Everyone has a different relationship with money and a lot of that is passed down.

My folks didn't pass down much in the way of that relationship.

Our family is not on the membership rolls of the 1%.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by SeanD
I enjoy listening to Dave

His concepts really new and cutting edge

Live on less than you make
Save some money
Don’t buy stuff you can’t afford

Crazy.....

I agree, but it's not "new and cutting edge". Bruce Williams was talking the same general plan on the radio 30 years ago.
I listened to him driving big rigs in the middle of the night. He helped me invest in the future just like Dave Ramsey.

I tried to make the sarcasm obvious.

Most of it is common sense. But most don’t run their finances with common sense. Most folks are broke even if they make a good income.

Some of it is less obvious, I’ve heard Dave say some things that didn’t initially make sense to me but if you think about it, it would improve most folks situation.

Like the concept that available credit results in folks spending more money. Pain association with cash spending. Finance a boat, sure 50k on payments are easy! Cut a check for a boat, dang it 25k is a lot of money, do I really want to spend 50k? Maybe but 25k is a damn nice boat..... most folks will spend less with cash. Buying a car with zero % interest when you aren’t in a position to pay cash (meaning you can’t afford it) results in the vast majority spending more money than they would if they bought what they could pay cash for. Or using credit cards instead of cash - you spend more money. Actually Dave says you shouldnt buy a new car at all unless your net worth is 1 mil+, but he also says new cars lose 60% of their value after 3 years. general rules of thumb - my tacoma retained 60ish% of its value after 11 years and I don’t thinks it’s a bad deal to buy new (but cash).

I don’t follow it all but the advice is good, most folks personal finance is a disaster.

Sean
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

What does the Great and Powerful Oz Ramsey have to say about Golden Corral and CiCi's lunch buffets? OK if you don't put them on the Visa card? Good only if you clean your plate? Best if you can find a roach and bring it to the attention of mgmt and get the proverbial free lunch?

Geno

Not much other than this is one hellava good deal for $8.93!!!!
LOL!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's cool that Dave says new cars lose 60% of their value in 3 years. That's not an issue for us, as we plan on owning it until it basically has "no" value. I really don't give a hoot if the car lost 100% of its value when we drove it off the lot. At the 0% interest we bought it for, it made more sense for us than taking money out of savings, given what the return on investment has been the last 3+ years we've had the car. We're keeping the car anyway, so we have no interest in how much value it holds. It was purchased as likely our last "new" car in retirement.

We bought a Toyota Matrix at 2% interest, decent down payment, in 2003. It's sitting in the driveway as I type. My investment account then was pulling in nearly 10%. That car has depreciated substantially I'd say, except it still has value for us as a daily driver, good weather, low insurance cost, low maintenance/high MPG vehicle that keeps the miles down on the new car.

The new car was a necessity as my wife was relocating for work to an area that has seen snow in every month of the year, ,with freezing night time temps a regular occurrence from Sept until June. The Matrix is 2WD, so we wanted to get her an AWD with newer safety features. And we hadn't had a new car for 13 years +, and we needed a bigger vehicle for the dog crates as the Matrix types no longer fit them due to changes in body style.

Where did I go wrong in getting my wife (and myself) a new vehicle, at no interest, while our savings is still earning good money (7%+ this year I think), she was safer driving into work in bad weather, the oil changes/maintenance was tossed in with the deal for three years, and we have a car that's going to last well into our retirement.............maybe until we no longer can drive?

Dave, and other financial experts have a lot of good ideas, but sometimes their ideas don't fit everyone's needs and wants.

Geno

In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezus.....

Dave fuggin Ramsey. I bet the caksucker has a book he will sell you.......

That's funny. I like Dave, but I think there might be a Jew in the woodpile, because Dave does like to make a Shekel or two. Yes he has a book he will sell you. And a set of cassettes. And he is doing a seminar soon, coming soon to a town near you! Give your Shekels to Dave!!!

Yes I like to listen to Dave. His two main points to build wealth are:

1. Don't get buried in student loan debt. I remember a guy called, he was 26 years old and had $43K in student loan debt. He was working at Burger King and had a 4 year degree in Anthropology. He said he was on the Dean's list.
And Dave said, "So you had a 4.0 average. You are a bright boy, huh? Well then, why, when you were a high school senior, didn't you do a little research, and find out that you can't get a job with a 4 year degree in Anthropology?"

2. Don't buy a new car and don't finance a car. Dave says, you cannot afford a new car unless you have $1 million in assets.
Dave has the statistics, the average payment for a new car is $508, and the average length of loan is 78 months. Six and a half years.
What a fortune a person is paying in interest during that time, and every year, the car drops $3 K in value.

Dave's advice is just common sense to most of us, but, there are a lot of stupid people out there who really need Dave's advice. He is doing the world a favor.

#1.
Ran into that many times as a army recruiter for 3 yrs
(people with useless degrees)

Join up as a e- 4 with your 120 credit hours on your transcript.
4yr enlistment.
Pick your job and options.
Unca suga pays off your student loans up to 50k graduated over those 4yrs.(probably more now)

Elect to get out.
Reenlist.
Stay enlisted move up that food chain
Change your enlisted job move up that food chain if ya aint locked as a e- 6 to your intial one by then.
Apply to go to Benning Boys school/OCS cause you already have a 4yr degree in place and get commissioned as a 2LT with prior service pay scale.

Lay it all out to em.

They would rather default on the loans, collect welfare, or live with mommy and daddy.

50% of civilians in this country are leeches on the taxpayers nickel....

Last edited by renegade50; 01/27/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana 7 passenger minivan. I bought it from my mother when she gave up her license in '07 and have put 140k on it since then. It's got 210k and is still running fine, getting 22-24 mpg and using almost no oil. I had the tranny rebuilt at about 120k. We don't use it for long distance travel anymore as I don't trust it but it makes a great runabout to save miles on our newer car and pickup. I'll run it until it falls apart. It costs about 300-350/yr for tags and liability insurance.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dave presses folks to get rid of debt. Consumer credit debt.
But there is such a thing as "good" debt. Solid mortgages for primary residences being one.
When assets are such that a consumer debt can be covered 100% at any time during the term, it is a different ballgame.
But carrying debt, even at 0% APY, is a stressor one can find ways to avoid.
Debt free is a big freedom. Big.

Lose debt, watch assets and cash grow!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I paid off the mortgage in '07. 13 years debt free. It enabled me to retire earlier than I'd planned.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Geno
he says if you weren’t a slave to car notes, you could have more money at the end of the month to save for Taylor Swift show in New Zealand Like Duh!!!

laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's nothing that people enjoy more than talking about others spend money.

I could give a crap.

I'm just glad everyone is keeping this economy booming.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was one gal on that show once, she had 100k in student loans for a music degree.

She was making $600 a month playing 2 operas in the symphony blowin a clarinet

I believe he told her get with it and start delivering pizzas in the evenings after she found a day job.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kind of hard to argue, with the concept o being out of debt, being financially responssible, and living within your means. Those that nash their teeth at that are usually in the worst financial shape. The borrower is indeed slave to the lender,even in 0% car loans. Quit making those payments, and they will indeed come and take your car back. Own it,and nobody ever will.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1OntarioJim, 219DW, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 56 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,613
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.