Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's what you hear all the time when a bad cop is outed. "There's always going to be a bad apple in the bunch!" Yeah, well, *46* of these crooked, thieving sons of bitches--to date-- from a *single* MA State Police Troop have been identified, with 22 new troopers being charged.

Any of the resident cop apologists care to try to explain this one away? Obviously, not all LEOs are bad, but for those who maintain the standard "99% of them are decent, honest and hardworking", love to hear your thoughts on this one, as it certainly does not seem to be the case in this particular neck of the woods.

Check the numbers of the pensions taxpayers are currently footing for these crooked shytbirds. I can only hope that they'll lose their pensions--every last one of them. IMO that's the only thing that'll leave a lasting sting on them and maybe make other would-be crooked cops think twice, at least on this kind of scam/hustle. Maybe. 'More Details' is the name of your boat, huh? You MF'er...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/state-...22-members-in-overtime-scandal/30729334#

State Police seek termination, restitution from 22 Troop E members in overtime scandal

WCVB Updated: 7:17 PM EST Jan 31, 2020
Remaining Time -0:00
Show Transcript
BOSTON —

Massachusetts State Police is seeking termination and restitution for 22 personnel in connection with the overtime scandal surrounding the former Troop E.

Based on internal audits launched in 2017 after a 5 Investigates probe, State Police referred 46 current and former personnel to the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. Criminal charges were sought against 10 of those individuals.

Internal Affairs charges were sustained against all of the remaining 36, Col. Christopher Mason said. Of that number, 14 have retired and charges against them have been sustained.

Officials notified the 22 personnel still employed by State Police that they would recommend their termination and seek full restitution.

“I anticipate that a number of these officers will be terminated as a result of this process. In addition to the specific punishment imposed, we will ensure that restitution is ordered. In every case, we will require that the trooper reimburse the taxpayers -- dollar for dollar -- any money paid for hours not worked, in addition to a substantive punitive penalty,” Mason said.

Pension of former State Police lieutenant suspended after overtime scandal conviction

Earlier this month, Mason outlined a series of reforms at State Police, including the activation of Automated Vehicle Locator technology in cruisers, increased supervisory oversight, regular auditing of time and attendance and ongoing ethical training for all personnel.

"The overwhelming majority of Troopers serve with distinction every day and as an association we will continue to defend the rights of our members. The pervasive culture of Troop E existed because of a failure of those then in command which impacts every trooper to this day," State Police Association of Massachusetts said in a statement. "As public servants, we will work with the current colonel to close this chapter and move this department forward with integrity."

Former state police supervisor pleads guilty in overtime scandal

"Our thorough investigation into overtime abuse in Troop E of the Massachusetts State Police resulted in criminal charges against three superior officers and led to much-needed disciplinary action by the Internal Affairs Section of the State Police. Our criminal investigation is now closed, and we have referred all of our investigatory materials to the Division of State Police Oversight, overseen by the Inspector General’s Office, to determine what systemic changes must be made to prevent this criminal misconduct from happening again," Attorney General Maura Healey said in a statement. "We expect the Baker Administration to consider and implement additional reforms within the State Police to restore and maintain public trust in the agency."

Massachusetts agencies paid out $399.15 million in overtime during 2019

What happens to the troopers who weren't charged?

"Right now, what's unknown is whether this is the end of the game," said Greg Sullivan, of the Pioneer Institute, a watchdog group. "In other words, are the prosecutors in this case going to just allow these people to get off scot-free in the criminal system?"

Trooper Kevin Maple doesn't face any charges. Records obtained by 5 Investigates from an internal audit show Maple was a no-show during a dozen shifts in 2016. He retired in the midst of the scandal and is pocketing an $80,000 per year pension.

Troopers Todd Glidden and Kevin O'Brien haven't been prosecuted either.

The audit found Glidden, whose boat was named "MORE DETAILS," was paid for 15 shifts he didn't work and falsified tickets to hide his scheme.

Department investigators say Trooper Kevin O'Brien didn't work 54 overtime shifts he was paid for. He's earning a pension of $78,980 per year.

State law allows public employees to keep their pensions, even if they're fired, unless they're convicted of a crime related to their job.

"Fourteen of the 46 troopers retired quickly, like one step ahead of the sheriff," said Sullivan. "Is the end of this story going to be that they're going to be able to get their pension without a scratch?"

The department is seeking restitution from all 36 members who have yet to be prosecuted. The attorney general's investigation is now complete. Federal prosecutors say they're investigation is ongoing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems in civilian life the totals of the monies "stolen" would be felony amounts and would deserve significant time in the hoosgow.

If there is enough evidence to warrant "restitution" then there is enough evidence to convict and ask for a jail term.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live in the land of Boss Hogg, Roscoe and civil forfeiture.

I don’t trust any of them, I avoid all encounters with LEO if possible. I don’t run around with a busted tail light or act like a sovereign citizen jackass when unplanned encounters do occur.

Only LEO I will speak or engage with it is a regional capt in wildlife division that I know personally.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One of the ways you know you live in a police state is when those who are supposed to enforce the law, routinely break it, without consequence.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad they caught them. It really ticks me off when some of our "public servants" are nothing more than "public parasites". Although "public parasites" is also a general term that I use for politicians who like to think of themselves as "public servants". LEO's are generally pretty much on the straight and narrow but greed can get to just about anybody.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Lots of unbelievers and dimocraps in that district I expect.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I for one, am perplexed by the need for

ongoing ethical training for all personnel

They are the popo, right. They should know before they get out of school, much less a LE Academy, that falsifying timecards is stealing, and not in any way ethical.

Says something for the ones hired I guess.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We've gone through so many "bad cops" here locally in my lifetime I wouldn't even care to guess at the number now. Everything from a married 36 year old officer impregnating a 16 year old girl that he blackmailed into having sex with him in return for not arresting her for posession/use of alcohol, to stealing drugs from the evidence room and selling them back on the street to getting caught banging a chick in the back seat of a cruiser while on duty to falsifying evidence and lying under oath. Many, many, many scumbags are cops.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Geno,

No doubt an ordinary citizen would likely see jail time upon conviction for the same type of offense. But then, we're not talking average citizens. These folks are special, don'tchaknow...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Easy, partner. No need to start wildly swinging your bible about just yet...

wink

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a few LEO friends......so I know what they do and what some are capable of doing. By the same token, I wouldn't do their job for what little most are paid.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by slumlord

I don’t trust any of them, I avoid all encounters with LEO if possible. I don’t run around with a busted tail light or act like a sovereign citizen jackass when unplanned encounters do occur.

This is how clever lads play the game.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

wink

There has never been, in the history of his district of W TX a bad copper. Never. Probably because they are all believers and non dimocraps.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by catch_22
I have a few LEO friends......so I know what they do and what some are capable of doing. By the same token, I wouldn't do their job for what little most are paid.

Neither would I.

However, that is not an argument for padding the timecard.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kamo
The cliche about the bad apple is right, but I think you are a little confused about what it means. There was at least one bad apple and he was in a supervisory position and he condoned theft from the State. He spoiled the whole bunch, but the whole bunch probably had lots of hidden or maybe not so hidden bad spots. The whole barrel rotted...

I wonder how much math they are going to apply when calculating how much the bogus pay raised their retirements....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by catch_22
Give me a break. State troopers here START at 102K a year. That's about 3 times what a roofer makes in this area and roofing is more dangerous and harder work than being a cop.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject matter, but I couldn't help noticing that even when kamo_gari is posting about something other than food, he managed to work it into the title ... grin

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

wink

Kamo, when I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s, seems most stores were closed on Sunday, and a very high percent of the population was in church.

Since kicking God and His principles out of school it's a pure fact that in Texas things in general and many young people have gone to hell in a handbasket.

For a while after this country was conceived, politicians had to profess to be Christian's to hold office.

There may be something to the plan to destroy this country by destroying the peoples belief in God, a purpose for living, and in destroying the family.

I think that plan has been revealed in many books that have been slung around. Iirc, maybe one was rules for radicals and if not, certainly esposed by many famous men pushing communism back in the day.

I could have made a lot more money, and many have, charging for unnecessary medical testing that could be legally justified, had I not feared consequences from Him.

I have to think those wanting to destroy this country may have known what they were talking about.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/01/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Many of the people who are attracted to law enforcement jobs are those least emotionally and ethically qualified. Some grow into the job but many don’t. I’m friends with a few and known many and as a whole they’re not the most trustworthy.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject matter, but I couldn't help noticing that even when kamo_gari is posting about something other than food, he managed to work it into the title ... grin

whistle

Geno

PS you nailed it though

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.