Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ordered a Forster Datum Dial set as to better measure my shoulder bump. Looking to get a digital caliper next. Anyone have a “value” recommendation?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Go dial.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But I’ll be re-zeroing with the datum dial to check on shoulder bump. I really do want a digital.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by woodson
But I’ll be re-zeroing with the datum dial to check on shoulder bump. I really do want a digital.

You will be re-zeroing digital from time to time as well. And changing batteries

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really don't see any advantage in using a digital caliper. I have both and I can't remember the last time I used my digital. You never have to worry about a bad battery in a dial caliper and I seldom have to re-zero the caliper even though it is an inexpensive tool. Most important, I've never been able to tell any difference in the accuracy of my reloads when using my dial vs digital caliper.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't worry woodson, I know what you mean as I have the Forster tool and use it on a digital too. There are a plethora of digitals available under $20. Supposedly the SR44 battery lasts longer than the LR44.

That being said, a dial will work too. By the way, he's not talking about zeroing with the jaws closed against each other.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 02/02/20.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Don't worry woodson, I know what you mean as I have the Forster tool and use it on a digital too. There are a plethora of digitals available under $20. Supposedly the SR44 battery lasts longer than the LR44.

That being said, a dial will work too. By the way, he's not talking about zeroing with the jaws closed against each other.

Ding ding ding.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Mitutoyo

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used both dial and digital calipers. The digital is far easier to read.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
1. Starrett
2. Mitutoyo
3. Pick the cheap one whose paint job melts your butter.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you store the battery outside the caliper rather than leaving it in all the time it will last almost forever.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
If you store the battery outside the caliper rather than leaving it in all the time it will last almost forever.

Very true. Digital that has been rezeroed with the comparator on is much easier to read, and when problems arise it’s much easier to explain as in how many of you have seen a 3.5” datum line on a 22.250.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...an-seat-the-bullets-by-hand#Post14531646

The base to shoulder once fired is 3.570

I resized and bumped back to 3.568, those bullets slipped in and out too easily,

Now, after two full turns down, All bullets fit properly,

but still have base to shoulder at 3.568

Swifty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ordered a Forster Datum Dial set as to better measure my shoulder bump. Looking to get a digital caliper next. Anyone have a “value” recommendation?

If you are going to be removing the Datum Dial to measure other things with the calipers, the jaw mounted comparators and headspace gauges don't always go back on the jaw exactly the same. Now, the difference each time the tool is reinstalled on the jaw may be so tiny that it doesn't matter, but it is important to install the gauge in the same spot on the jaw.

Here on the 'fire we always enjoy helping other people spend their money, and on that note, I have the Stoney Point comparator and the headspace gauge, and Mitutoyo 505 series calipers dedicated to each body. The bodies for the comparator and headspace gauge never come off the jaws of the respective calipers. For calipers and indicators I like dials better because they are quicker to see where the needle lands. For micrometers I like digital because they are much quicker to read.

Dial or digital, you may want to buy a caliper and dedicate it to the Datum Dial.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Dial or digital, you may want to buy a caliper and dedicate it to the Datum Dial.

That would only work if you never switched the dial on the body. There are two dials for seating depth and one for headspace. You can buy extra bodies to do that, but they ain't cheap.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I use them both, but I reach for the analog one mostly.

Anecdote: the even older design vernier caliper will be your most accurate and trouble free model. Trouble is unless you have the eyeballs of a 20 year old it's nigh impossible to read the scales. For nostalgia reasons I sometimes grab mine but having to put on magnifying goggles to read it is a PIA so it mostly rests in its felt lined camphor-ridden drawer.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own five sets of 6" calipers

Starratt dial
Mitutoyo digital
Brown & Sharp digital
Brown & Sharp dial
Off brand whoknows

I've owned about a half dozen sets of the off brand whoknows and they all laid down or outright failed.

Buy a name brand.....they will out live you

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure those with the expensive calipers will disagree but I have both an expensive Japanese dial caliper and a cheap Harbor Freight Chinese caliper. I've had the HF for 12 years with no problems other than battery changes, both agree with each other. The digital is much easier to read quickly and zero.
I think I paid 9.99 for it on sale. It looks exactly like the digital calipers being re-branded and sold for more by the reloading tool suppliers.

Harbor Freight caliper

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure the Harbor Freight is the same as the one Hornady puts their name on.
These days building a quality dial gauge is more expensive than an electronic.
Some company just cranks out those little circuit boards.
Just test measure something with the digital until you believe it, or not....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine is an old Browne and Sharpe from Switzerland. 2032 button battery, so no issues. Has worked well for many years. 0.0001 accuracy.

Last edited by smithrjd; 02/09/20. Reason: wanted too...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.