Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Their student loan pay back is 300 per month. 1200 residual.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

On some of those roads there was no place to pull over.

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

They identified one of the several hazards of hugging the edge in the video. Did you see the dooring incident? When a cyclist is doored, they are most often knock out into the roadway where they are at risk of being run over. Smart cyclists don't ride in the door zone. See what I mean when I say most people who tell cyclists how to ride don't understand the full safety picture?

It's a lot like Democrats trying to talk gun control and talking about how evil semi-automatic revolvers are.

See my post above. Did you miss the part where I said I grew up there and rode a bike just about every day of my life to the age of seventeen yet somehow managed to survive?

Oh and so did my friends. They somehow managed to survive the terror of car doors opening also. I guess we were just lucky... 🤔🙄

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/06/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't foresee a long and prosperous life.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/06/20.

1Minute
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A bicycle is a vehicle.

Plenty of A holes using 4 wheels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

They identified one of the several hazards of hugging the edge in the video. Did you see the dooring incident? When a cyclist is doored, they are most often knock out into the roadway where they are at risk of being run over. Smart cyclists don't ride in the door zone. See what I mean when I say most people who tell cyclists how to ride don't understand the full safety picture?

It's a lot like Democrats trying to talk gun control and talking about how evil semi-automatic revolvers are.

See my post above. Did you miss the part where I said I grew up there and rode a bike just about every day of my life to the age of seventeen yet somehow managed to survive?

Smart riders do not ride in the door zone. In some of the videos there wasn't a good place to pull over. I am going to make a bold guess on two things here. Traffic density is greater today and motorist are less polite today than they were 4 or 5 decades ago when you were there. I rode in city environments when I was growing up too. It ain't the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
These entitled snowflakes who think they can ignore the traffic flow and do their own thing are the ones who chap my crotch. Lane-splitting, for instance. If I see one soon enough when I'm sitting stopped in traffic, I've been known to open a door to check to see if I've got a low tire. Sometimes they manage to get stopped in time.
Jerry

I hate lane-splitters on bikes and motorcycles.

That said, if you try this again, I hope you get a good beating and then tossed into oncoming traffic for your behavior.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76
Yup, slow learner and a dumb a$$! I live in NJ and went to school in Jersey City, you take your life in your hands riding a bike there! One thing that pisses me off is bikes don't pay a registration fee like a car.

Gee, someone wanting more TAX on people.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I love bicycles. In my mis-spent youth, I rode a Peugot 10 speed from Georgia to Steamboat Springs Colorado.
I have a real nice Trek mountain bike and haven't ridden in years. I need to get new tires on it again and start riding, for exercise.
But, up here in the NC mountains, the locals, aka "hillbillies" think that a grown man has no business riding a bicycle. They won't cross the center line to pass you I tell you it is taking your life in your hands to ride a bike around here.

I don't wear that spandex crap, or a helmet, I wear a white t shirt and a baseball hat and tennis shoes.
I do have a rear view mirror that clips to my baseball hat, and when I have a car coming up from behind, I just pull over onto the shoulder and stop and let the car go by.

Like the New Jersey Yankee said in the OP, bicycles are quiet, they don't cause pollution, they get the rider in good shape. We ought to have bicycles all over the place.
They just don't mix well with cars. I don't know what the solution is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love bicycles. In my mis-spent youth, I rode a Peugot 10 speed from Georgia to Steamboat Springs Colorado.
I have a real nice Trek mountain bike and haven't ridden in years. I need to get new tires on it again and start riding, for exercise.
But, up here in the NC mountains, the locals, aka "hillbillies" think that a grown man has no business riding a bicycle. They won't cross the center line to pass you I tell you it is taking your life in your hands to ride a bike around here.

I don't wear that spandex crap, or a helmet, I wear a white t shirt and a baseball hat and tennis shoes.
I do have a rear view mirror that clips to my baseball hat, and when I have a car coming up from behind, I just pull over onto the shoulder and stop and let the car go by.

Like the New Jersey Yankee said in the OP, bicycles are quiet, they don't cause pollution, they get the rider in good shape. We ought to have bicycles all over the place.
They just don't mix well with cars. I don't know what the solution is.

My solution is when I ride a bike on the road, I do so with regard for the motorists. When I drive on the road I do so with regard for the cyclists. When polite attentive motorists meet polite attentive cyclists, they do seem to mix well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Smart cyclist dont ride in traffic.

It is done all around the world. Despite the way they act sometimes, drivers in America are not especially retarded so ought tot be able to manage an occasional cyclist who is there by choice or necessity.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Smart cyclist dont ride in traffic.

It is done all around the world. Despite the way they act sometimes, drivers in America are not especially retarded so ought tot be able to manage an occasional cyclist who is there by choice or necessity.

People will absolutely lose their schidt over having to lift off the gas or ease over to accommodate a cyclist.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My solution is when I ride a bike on the road, I do so with regard for the motorists. When I drive on the road I do so with regard for the cyclists. When polite attentive motorists meet polite attentive cyclists, they do seem to mix well.

That is the way I do it. Part of my "Try not to be an jerk" philosophy in general. It has served me well most of my life.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
----Fred Rogers
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I did also until up in high school often going many blocks in town without ever touching handlebars, even going around city blocks.

It's nice to see young folks out bike riding and seeing how few incidents they have with autos.

Gee, I wonder why.

We had a pediatrician dr join our big multidisiplinary clinic.

He was a cyclist and an asswhole. I dont know which came first. He came from a very wealthy family.

He got grilled by a high school chick one night and they buried him.

I think the family got more money out of that.

We got rid of an asswhole.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/06/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Smart riders do not ride in the door zone. In some of the videos there wasn't a good place to pull over. I am going to make a bold guess on two things here. Traffic density is greater today and motorist are less polite today than they were 4 or 5 decades ago when you were there. I rode in city environments when I was growing up too. It ain't the same.

Paul,

You’d be wrong on those guesses. Yes there are places where traffic density is greater but not on the streets I’m talking about. And no they aren’t less polite.

I’m going to hasten and guess they are more polite today because back then bicyclists weren’t given the status they have today. Hence the common sense necessary to ride those streets. What it comes down to like I said before is common sense and courtesy.

Yes, you would have to be willing to inconvenience yourself by pulling over to the side of the road or between two parked cars to let backed up traffic by every now and then but that’s what it takes to keep the motor traffic flowing.

I understand people aren’t willing to do that when they feel entitled but that’s the way it is. I quickly learned a a NJ kid to watch for car doors opening in congested areas by keeping an eye out for people getting in or out of their cars. Never hit one. I moved over when cars were behind me on congested streets . Never felt entitled to have them crawl along behind me.

Common sense and courtesy....

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/06/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You need to learn how to play nice with others.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
These entitled snowflakes who think they can ignore the traffic flow and do their own thing are the ones who chap my crotch. Lane-splitting, for instance. If I see one soon enough when I'm sitting stopped in traffic, I've been known to open a door to check to see if I've got a low tire. Sometimes they manage to get stopped in time.
Jerry

I hate lane-splitters on bikes and motorcycles.

That said, if you try this again, I hope you get a good beating and then tossed into oncoming traffic for your behavior.

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. Read the studies instead acting on gut reaction they they are somehow taking something away from you.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"I've been sent to the ER FOUR TIMES"... lesson there...
He's a slow learner - must be a democrat..

LOL, well, if I set the park brake and walk around to see what's left of a face squished out from between my duals, that 5th lesson will be the last. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by slumlord
Roll coal!!! 😐

Roll coal on me ya punk and I will kick yer a$$ mad

......or look for someone who can........

Anyhoo, I cannot remember the last time I was yelled or cursed at (‘cept on here, of course) and I ride in the big city all the time. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Didn’t you post something about looking like a homeless person when you ride? They probably feel sorry for you.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to live in Southern Indiana, in the hilly ground next to the Ohio River, and every Sunday morning, a gang of bicyclists would be riding down the narrow country roads around there. The hilly parts slowed them down, which slowed the motorists down, BUT, they did their best to stay out the way and let us pass by without incidents. I thought they all looked silly in Spandex and helmets, but they had enough sense to get out of the way when they got their first opportunity.

It's too bad some of the entitled dipsticks on bicycles don't do that now. My BIL and my nephews are dedicated cyclists now, but they are also conscious of other and stay out of their way, mostly on trails.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. Read the studies instead acting on gut reaction they they are somehow taking something away from you.

Not so much. Re-read the post I was responding to and then re-read my post. I think you have misread and then responded to a misreading.

================

1. Looked around and there are no studies worth mentioning on lane splitting safety in the USA. One of the big ones claimed to show increased safety has the author specifically refuting that claim. One in Europe is inconclusive.

2. Most the claimed safety-related benefit seems to come from the delta between MC rear-end collisions in CA (legal) TX (no law for/against) and FL (illegal). The delta is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 30%, depending on the year. Again, no good studies pointing to cause. Riding SEASONS in CA/TX/FL may be similar, but CONDITIONS surely are not. FL has much more rain and many more wet road conditions. Also, FL has a much higher proportion of elderly drivers who really have no business being on the road. I am not anti-elderly driving, but FL's driver license exam back in the day required a fee and a pulse. TX has its own issues vis a vis CA.

3. Lane splitting is explicitly legal in only CA and explicitly illegal in many more states. MC and bicycle riders need to ride IAW the law if they want to be treated like grown-ups worthy of their place on the road operating vehicles.

4. There are not enough bicyclists and MC riders for explicit, legal lane-splitting to impact/improve traffic. Maybe in east asia. But not in the USA and not in Europe, according to the studies over there.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
----Fred Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
" I hope you get a good beating and then tossed into oncoming traffic for your behavior."

"Go ahead- - - - - -make my day!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 58 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.