Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here is a pretty good video to watch. Proof as I have stated many times on here Heat Treat is not just Heat Treat! Protocol matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/vkV7oCSHkUM

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Haven't finished watching but like the video so far.
So what's a knife maker without a metallurgical microscope to do? Lots of bench testing varying heat treatments on same stock/profile?
I've checked in on kknives a number of times. I like that he is pushing the envelope.
MCH do you have any knives in Rex121? If so, do you notice much of a difference?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
121 has no peer! If you require Stainless then S125V.

I have two and another I am on the books for.

Lots of bench testing varying heat treatments on same stock/profile? YES

Roman is a very smart young man. He has sunk a ton of money into his shop. He isn't going to make you what you want, but if you get one of his knives you will see just how much he stands out in a crowd of top end makers. Don't quote me on this but I do believe he shares some information with a few other makers. Remember he has a lot of time and money invested!!!

There are not a lot of guys like myself that are willing to pay for such a high end user. But guys like Phil, Shawn, and Roman are out there catering to guys like myself. Their knives aren't for everyone! They are ground thin and are made for cutting not abusing. Their knives cost more, and for several reasons. 1) they are willing to work with the likes of 121. 2) they are grinding thin (requires time and expensive belts) and also grind wet. 3) They have spent the time and materials in heat treat protocol.

These guys are making quality knives second to none! With the finest steels currently available. I have owned knives from just about all the household (24hourcampfire) names, I have owned at least one from each of the biggest names in knife making (working knives, not art knives) past and present minus a William Scagel. I am not guessing here. By know means am I saying that the household (24hourcampfire) names are not worth of using and buying. They have their place. I would certainly like to see Menefee jump into the high end steels. I would be in line asap! Minus of course the swedge. smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
( Yet another STEEL WhatNot Tutorial, ...DNDF SelfIndulgence Aside )

COOL!

( YAWNS, ............Show Pics of UR Shat U Built/ or Vast Amount of Knowledge Commissioned , ...which there Aint None, ...Comment/ Berate , Insert PhiloHooker Pic, THANKS, am Impressed yet Again...[bleep]' Clown)

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
( then HelicopterPic, ...YO ...check Me out, Am on a Mountain, ...Note Me Cardio )

COOL!

( SelfIndulgent BackPatting [bleep] Clown, been Noted More than A Blatantly Obnoxious TimeFrame )

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
( ............................... and its Inevitable, ...just Shaved Me Head w ( InSert Steel of the Month ) X , Cucks on Watch, bet he Invented STEEL ( and PhilloHookers ) ... )

[bleep]' COOL!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who is Phil, Shawn, and Roman for us nobody’s?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Some m390 I had build a few years ago, by Dale....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Judman
Who is Phil, Shawn, and Roman for us nobody’s?

Im guessing Phil Wilson, Shawn from Triple B, and Roman from KKnives_Switzerland.
About your M390 blade, did you notice much of a difference between it and other steels? Nice looking buck!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a bit. But I work a critter up, then touch em up. Work several critters up a year, trick for me, is don’t let em get like a butter knife. 😆

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Not a bit. But I work a critter up, then touch em up. Work several critters up a year, trick for me, is don’t let em get like a butter knife. 😆

That’s why you need the Supa-duper knife steel! You could year after year without touching it up!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
121 has no peer! If you require Stainless then S125V.

I have two and another I am on the books for.

Lots of bench testing varying heat treatments on same stock/profile? YES

Roman is a very smart young man. He has sunk a ton of money into his shop. He isn't going to make you what you want, but if you get one of his knives you will see just how much he stands out in a crowd of top end makers. Don't quote me on this but I do believe he shares some information with a few other makers. Remember he has a lot of time and money invested!!!

There are not a lot of guys like myself that are willing to pay for such a high end user. But guys like Phil, Shawn, and Roman are out there catering to guys like myself. Their knives aren't for everyone! They are ground thin and are made for cutting not abusing. Their knives cost more, and for several reasons. 1) they are willing to work with the likes of 121. 2) they are grinding thin (requires time and expensive belts) and also grind wet. 3) They have spent the time and materials in heat treat protocol.

These guys are making quality knives second to none! With the finest steels currently available. I have owned knives from just about all the household (24hourcampfire) names, I have owned at least one from each of the biggest names in knife making (working knives, not art knives) past and present minus a William Scagel. I am not guessing here. By know means am I saying that the household (24hourcampfire) names are not worth of using and buying. They have their place. I would certainly like to see Menefee jump into the high end steels. I would be in line asap! Minus of course the swedge. smile

Thanks but CPM 154, s35v and A-2 is what I’ll finish the race using. Not worth figuring out and burning up thermocouples for me. I did help skin a elk with Phil Wilson’s first s125v knife. It worked wonderfully but so did my a-2 on my elk laying beside it. I understand very well the mindset and do respect it. Just don’t have a need or desire to spend time with other steels.

Thanks
Rick Menefee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks but CPM 154, s35v and A-2 is what I’ll finish the race using. Not worth figuring out and burning up thermocouples for me. I did help skin a elk with Phil Wilson’s first s125v knife. It worked wonderfully but so did my a-2 on my elk laying beside it. I understand very well the mindset and do respect it. Just don’t have a need or desire to spend time with other steels.

Thanks
Rick Menefee [/quote]

The gospel.

Prolly the same answer you get from most the “household campfire names” makers.

A solution looking for a problem.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I'm a simpleton, I'm very happy to work up a critter without sharpening, then running it 2-3 times through a lansky crock stick,to get razor sharp again... Hank, gene, rick, and cakes wares provide this for me, in several steeles, I'm happy... Since its on a first name basis now. Carry on...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the simpleton for me.

David, Gene , Charlie, Ken, Dale, Tim, Rick, Mike are some of the makers I’ll suffer with.

Do have a couple in s35vn in the works.

I’ll take GWB’s word for steel over a lab test day......

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dave, you name dropper you!!!!😂

There's a few I don't know there, but I could suffer the s35vn as well....

I'm such a simpleton, I texted Dale the other day for another Wyoming Skinner wearing ram horn scales, I specifically told him, "use whatever Steele you want" , as I trust whomever is doin the work....😁😎👍

Again, carry on.. Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fwiw, I probably worked up more elk last year than 85% of the member's here have killed in their lives.Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

specifically told him, "use whatever Steele you want

You gamblin’ SOB!

The 35super knives are being made by a couple guys i found on Instagram.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha, I must trust him?? 😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.