Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've seen lots of good reviews on these guns. They seem reliable and well made. I guess the low price is attributable to the low cost of skilled labor in Turkey.

Link

[Linked Image from grabagun.com]

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The same company makes the Turkish service pistol, their own version of the Beretta 92, and they also make a stainless Hi-Power that got a favorable review in The American Rifleman last summer.

They get a lot of happy reviews on FB pages, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the only thing worse than schitt from China is schitt from Turkey...............do some bidness there, so ask me how I know.

But rock on if that spins yer prop..................

Too many other good products on the market to go that route.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Time will tell.

I remember when the Norinco 1911's started coming in from Chiner. We wondered, but most turned up their nose.

Then Bill Wilson announced that he had inspected several & deemed them good enough that he would accept them to build into customs. The race was on, I missed the boat on 2 or 3 shipments...... then slik willie banned them. cry

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunzo
Time will tell.

I remember when the Norinco 1911's started coming in from Chiner. We wondered, but most turned up their nose.

Then Bill Wilson announced that he had inspected several & deemed them good enough that he would accept them to build into customs. The race was on, I missed the boat on 2 or 3 shipments...... then slik willie banned them. cry

Yep, it kills me that Canadians can get these (along with M14s from China) and we in the land of the free and home of the brave cannot.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Time will tell.

i always laugh about that, as i did buy one at the time, from memory less than 200dollars. i replaced the trigger, put different sights on it, and it still holds up against most anything else.
I have heard rumors they had soft barrels, but after shooting the poop out of it, no issues.
supposedly they used some pretty good steel in them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think it's great. This pistol is in actual military configuration which is something very few have made through the years. So many make a GI-esque pistol (and sometimes even call it GI), yet the safety, ejection port, and sights are typically wrong. There are very few who actually make a proper analog for a WWII ear 1911, and this appears to be exactly that.

If I were them, I would have taken it one step further and added the "US PROPERTY" as well as the patent dates....but that's just me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GunGeek
. . . So many make a GI-esque pistol (and sometimes even call it GI), yet the safety, ejection port, and sights are typically wrong.
There are very few who actually make a proper analog for a WWII era 1911.

<> https://tacticalgunreview.com/springfield-armory-gi-45-1911a1/ <>

- - Springfield Armory U.S. G.I. 1911 A1 WWII 45

(Not to be confused with the retro Springfield Armory - Mil-Spec' Model 1911.)

The US GI WWII model has the original shallow ejection port and the small GI sights -
It is of high quality construction, dependable, accurate - and I love it.

My model is identical to the above 'link' except mine has a parkerized black finish
instead of the olive-drab finish.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Springfield still has the wrong safety and wrong grips.

One thing the Springfield gets right that I wish more makers would pay attention to is the radius of the front strap. Most makers (the Turkish gun in question included), use the same radius cutter they use for the dust cover to radius the front strap of the grip; this is not correct. Sadly there are some big names that commit this sin. But the Springfield gets this cut right and uses the same radius that Colt uses...That is a very nice attention to detail. Now if they would just use the correct safety (I can live with the grips).

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Time will tell.

Actually, I think Bush banned them before Slick even got into office.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Time will tell.

That's what I thought, too. I know he did all sorts of shenanigans with gun imports from China, and even domestically made guns. It was under his presidency that Congress banned bayonet lugs, for example. I used to have an H-Bar AR-15 made during his presidency that had the bayonet lug milled off by the Colt factory before it was shipped out for sale.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not too far off topic - Some years ago COLT made a 'Model of 1911' - WWI - Carbonia Blue replica pistol, authentic in every detail.

I had wandered into Scheels looking for my 1st 1911 - This pistol was laying on a display shelf along with other 1911s
with only a price tag. I asked a salesman about it and he just said, "Well it's what you see - Just a basic 1911".
I liked it and put it on layby.

Some months later I returned to Scheels to pay-off my new pistol. A different salesman went into the backroom to
retrieve it. He returned and asked me "What in the world did you buy? - This handgun is in a box-in-a box-in-a-box" ...

I told him I didn't have clue - But I was sure glad I did!

<> https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/3054/944757665/wm_7181418.jpg <>

~ 'Colt Model of 1911 WWI

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought one of their stainless steel Hi Power clones this summer. Very well made handgun and has proven to be reliable with everything I have shoot thru it except some steel cased Winchester that I bought by accident. Didn't know at the time that Winchester made steel cased 9mm ammo. I also bought a Turk made Tri Star 28 gauge shotgun. Appears to be a copy of the Winchester SX2 auto, but gauge specific action. It has also proven to be a very well made gun for the money. Bought it because not many 28 gauge autos out there on a 28 gauge frame that is reasonably affordable.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The entire era was a cluster fugg. Sorry for not getting the banners correct.

I had an HK-91 & was into it for about $500, first ban, I sold it for $1100.
Things settled down & I bought a FAL for a grand. Another ban & I sold the FAL for $1300.
Bought an MIA for about the same cash cause they skipped a few ban list due to no pistol grip, etc.

My M1A has yet to meet the cash I paid value wise, but that was the BS of the day.

Huh!!!!!!!!! shooting USPSA during slick willie, needed Hi cap mags to be competitive, about $75 a piece cause they were..... BANNED!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Time will tell.

That's what I thought, too. I know he did all sorts of shenanigans with gun imports from China, and even domestically made guns. It was under his presidency that Congress banned bayonet lugs, for example. I used to have an H-Bar AR-15 made during his presidency that had the bayonet lug milled off by the Colt factory before it was shipped out for sale.
The actual AWB was during Slick's presidency whereas the import bans were during the Bush Admin. The AR may have came that way due to Colt's cooperation prior to the AWB. The AWB specified only so many restricted items could be on a rifle that was non-LE. My wife's AR made during this time period and called a "carbine" by Colt, has no flash hider or bayonet lug and had a fixed stock. Before this same gun would have been termed a CAR-15 and had all those features. I think it also came with only five or ten round mags...At the time they were twenty round mags that had been blocked, IIRC. Of course, this created a huge demand for "pre-ban" guns. When the AWB sunsetted, thanks to Bob Dole, none of this mattered any more and it was a free-for-all. I would expect most of the AWB guns have been re-configured mostly by now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an AK during this time period that had a thumbhole stock. It was a Norinco and called a "MAK 90". It was just as good as a regular semi-auto AK. The thumbhole stock really wasn't a handicap though IMO it didn't look as cool as a regular AK. Then I also had an FN FAL or whatever the Australian version was, that was set up with a thumbhole stock to do an end run around the AWB. It was pretty cool too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really like the looks of the Turk 1911. I expect it will be the new Norinco if they can keep prices down. I never did think the Phillipino guns were as good as the Chinese ones, FWIW.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Listed as currently out of stock.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257Ackley, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 67 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,694
Posts18,534,578
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.