Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Paul, were any of these rifles those that you found on close outs ?

I recall that you got some steals of a deal on a few rifles.

None of these were the closeouts.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Reason I ask is is that I put a buddy on to your post about the closeouts. He was headed up to his Mississippi lease, stopped at the Walmart in McComb to get a few things, saw a Ruger American Model in 30-06 and asked to clerk to scan it as it showed listed price on the tag . Scan showed 195$. He jumped on it and it is a very good shooter such that he invested in a cerakote job and put an upscale scope on it.

He doesn’t post here but asked me to thank you and so it is.

Hope your conundrums gets worked out to your satisfaction.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Reason I ask is is that I put a buddy on to your post about the closeouts. He was headed up to his Mississippi lease, stopped at the Walmart in McComb to get a few things, saw a Ruger American Model in 30-06 and asked to clerk to scan it as it showed listed price on the tag . Scan showed 195$. He jumped on it and it is a very good shooter such that he invested in a cerakote job and put an upscale scope on it.

That's great to hear about your bud's -06.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

That's great to hear about your bud's -06.

Part 2 that might bring a grin:

When he got to the camp and showed his cousin his find, the cousin called Walmart, was on hold for quite a spell and finally found that they had one left in .243. Cuz gave them his credit card # and drove back down to MCComb, got the rifle and back to camp. This one stays at the camp for guests to use.

Ya done good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That Walmart location sells more hunting licenses than any of their other locations in the lower 48.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Well I've had some good Rugers.

But I've had some that were cursed by gypsies before they left the factory and then again when they were sent back to me.

I consider you lucky.....the only good Ruger I have had was a pair of .44 mag Vaqueros. A M-77 in .243 and another in 7-Mag, a NO 1 in 6mm Rem, a single action convertible rimfire, and a 9mm auto were (IMO) junk. I won't buy another one!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have had Four 5Rs in the last couple of years... They have all been Flawless in fit and Finnish and function.....all were tack drivers .....I just picked up a New H&S model 7 It is Flawless...I must have good luck......

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last 2 purchases:

-Remington 700 VLS in .308
-Ruger 10/22 Satinless with 20" bbl

Remington went back for cracks in the laminated stock between layers. It was poorly attempted to fix at the factory and glue was obviously applied. Stock replaced at no cost.

Ruger the rail didn't align with the barrel. Receiver replaced. Obviously a new serial number was on the gun and they paid then FFL transfer fee too, no cost. Still waiting on the check. Should be here in a few days. Now the scope aligns with the barrel.

Once bought a BACO model 70 -06 and the rear ring was at 11 o'clock and the front ring was at high noon. Lemons happen. I figure 1 in 10 factory guns need warranty work based on my experience. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by viking
Has Remington QC gotten better lately, or is it a crap shoot yet?

Remington Quality is Better than it has ever been.......I am sure they put out a lemon every now and then...But so does every one else......

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I have had Four 5Rs in the last couple of years... They have all been Flawless in fit and Finnish and function.....all were tack drivers .....I just picked up a New H&S model 7 It is Flawless...I must have good luck......

I read a lot about them before I bought mine. I hope they get it sorted out and I find a good load or three for it. Do you have one in 223?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang PB, if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all. Hope they get it all fixed for ya.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by vapodog

I consider you lucky.....the only good Ruger I have had was a pair of .44 mag Vaqueros. A M-77 in .243 and another in 7-Mag, a NO 1 in 6mm Rem, a single action convertible rimfire, and a 9mm auto were (IMO) junk. I won't buy another one!

First Ruger was a Mk I .22 pistol. It was a good one. Sold it.

Second Ruger was a Security Six. Went back to the factory to fix a problem. Came back with that problem fixed but a whole new problem. Went back to the factory a second time and it came back with the second problem fixed but with a third completely new problem. (Gypsy curse.) Sold it.

Since then every Ruger 10/22 I've ever had was a jammomatic. I've currently got one but I had to send the bolt off to CPC to be fixed - by which I mean made the way it should have been made at the factory.

Had a Blackhawk .45 convertible that was perfectly fine. Sold it.

Have a Mk IV .22 pistol that is perfectly fine. Have an LCP Mk I that's perfectly fine. Have a No. 1 in 7x57 that's perfectly fine.

Have a 77 RSL in .243 that's really excellent but I bought it second hand so its possible somebody had to throw money at it to make it work.

So I've currently got five Rugers that work fine (now) and I'm happy (enough) with. That said I'm never surprised when the next Ruger is a POS.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In fairness to Burris I need to update this thread. I installed an aftermarket V-block on my 10/22. Apparently the factory one allowed too much barrel droop. With the new V-block I had enough adjustment. The scope is actually fantastic.

But now I can add the Christensen Arms Mesa I bought at the same time to the list of failures. I took it out for its second range session. It does not eject the empty brass. I called CA. It's a known problem. They got a bad batch of springs for their ejectors. They are sending me a return authorization.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The gun is obnoxiously accurate. With Factory Hornady match ammo it's do this. That's a 1" target dot. I measured .55 center to center. I shot 2 3 shot groups with 2 different handloads. In both cases there were only 2 holes in the target. two through damn near the same hole and another an inch off. They'll do better. I wasn't settling in good as I forgot my good shooting chair and had to make do with a chessy folding 3 leg stool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another follow-up. I sent the Remington back. It was sent back to me 2 months later with a new mag follower, a new stock and new bottom metal. I tried 5 loads with it over the weekend. Noting better than about an inch and a quarter. I am going to put a new scope on it and go back with a good shooting stool and try again.

This is making me dread trying my new Nosler.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a new Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 44 mag last year and it looked like a high school shop project. They did square it up, but it was sad they let something of that quality out the door. I also bought a Bisley 44 special, and the quality on it was far superior.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A dozen 1022, think the newest around '95.
No jams. But then I also dont run Remington ammo.

MK1,2 and 22/45.......zero probs.

A few OM revolvers. No probs.
Did have a NM and OM that looked great, reliable.....but not very good shooters.

Had others that were accurate.

Number 1's? Only had three, two of em shot great.
Have not tried the 3rd one yet. Just got a scope for it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another follow-up. I sent the Remington back. It was sent back to me 2 months later with a new mag follower, a new stock and new bottom metal. I tried 5 loads with it over the weekend. Noting better than about an inch and a quarter. I am going to put a new scope on it and go back with a good shooting stool and try again.

Dammit, Paul. That's crap for a bolt 223. Hopefully it was the setup, or maybe it's just picky with ammo. I hadn't seen this thread before today. Now I'm personally invested in how the Nosler rifle works out for you!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reliability?
One gun, Auto Ordinance pit bull that cracked bushings.

175 or so other guns over the years and they functioned fine.

Accuracy?

Two old 1022s sucked, both had some wood pressure on bbl issues. One responded favorably to minor sanding.one did not.

Winchester BB 94 in 307 was horrible shooter. Dunno why, it went bye bye.

Another Win, 9422M shot well but off to the side quite a bit.

Springfield Champion 1911......put em in two diff groups.
Think hood needed built up. Sold it and got a Colt Commander thats been stellar.

Scopes? 2 new Leupolds wouldnt adjust. One fixed one replaced. Redfield tracker had reticle ring come loose ( rattle ). It got fixed. Weaver v9 AO went back twice for fogging.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/11/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Dammit, Paul. That's crap for a bolt 223. Hopefully it was the setup, or maybe it's just picky with ammo. I hadn't seen this thread before today. Now I'm personally invested in how the Nosler rifle works out for you!

Those loads ranged from 55 grains all the way up to 70 and several different powders. My Savage LW Hunter 223 will easily outshoot it, and that shouldn't be. I will try some factory ammo to just to have that data point. I should check the torque on the action screws too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pay once cry once. Recently put this together. Sako paired with Nightforce.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.