-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Sending your kids to most public schools nowadays is tantamount to child abuse. Our public school systems have been taken over by our evil ruling class. I pity those decent folks who have this as their only option. Some public school options in the hinterlands are still decent, as they have actively resisted the POZ(a).

2. Private school has become so expensive that parents have to bring down some serious bucks to afford it. Even religious schools with a tradition of schooling even their poorest parishioners have to charge the kind of tuition that requires serious sacrifice even for the upper middle class. Still, there are some big school problems. One being inefficient use of time. Another bing lying scum who lie about their religious affiliation (or lack) thereof. They bring POZ with them.

3. Home schooling is the most cost-effective option. Dad works like a madman and mom gets together with other homeschooling moms and makes it happen. Lots of resources/guided these days.

4. "University Model" schools are a home school/private school hybrid. Cost is 1/4 to 1/2 private school tuition. Kid goes to classes 2 or 3 days/week and does homework with mom the other school days.
(a) POZ is cultural AIDS, "HIV+ culture"

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Yeah, mom and dad both working full time to make ends meet allows sooo much time for homeschooling.

Whatever happened to the idea of husband and wife holding off on having children until they have the means (finances and time) to rear them properly?

Scrimping money on cheap rubbers would be my guess.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a sampling what they get in Texas public schools, at least by posted curriculum....

(1) Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits is the culmination of the economic content and concepts studied from Kindergarten through required secondary courses. The focus is on the basic principles concerning production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services (the problem of scarcity) in the United States and a comparison with those in other countries around the world. Students analyze the interaction of supply, demand, and price. Students will investigate the concepts of specialization and international trade, economic growth, key economic measurements, and monetary and fiscal policy. Students will study the roles of the Federal Reserve System and other financial institutions, government, and businesses in a free enterprise system. Types of business ownership and market structures are discussed. The course also incorporates instruction in personal financial literacy. Students apply critical-thinking skills using economic concepts to evaluate the costs and benefits of economic issues.

(2) Students identify the role of the U.S. free enterprise system within the parameters of this course and understand that this system may also be referenced as capitalism or the free market system.

(3) Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits builds upon the foundation in economics and social studies laid by the social studies essential knowledge and skills in Kindergarten-Grade 12. The course will apply these skills to current economic situations. The content enables students to understand the importance of patriotism, function in a free enterprise society, and appreciate the basic democratic values of our state and nation as referenced in the Texas Education Code (TEC), §28.002(h).

(4) Students understand that a constitutional republic is a representative form of government whose representatives derive their authority from the consent of the governed, serve for an established tenure, and are sworn to uphold the constitution.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only in a cursory manner.

The fact is that it takes too much time.
First off, you have to read the books the kids are using. That alone takes about as much time as the kids spend in school each day.
Then you have to get hold of the materials the teachers supplement their lessons with. A lot of that isn't planned very far in advance, so you have to stay on it all the time. Plus the teachers don't want to take the time & effort to get it to you even if it is innocent. If it's scandalous or at all controversial, to the left or right, they are loathe to give it to you and it would take a court order to get it.

The only group I'm aware of that has even a slight clue as to what's going on is Value Voters. They were able to get a few districts to comment on the presence of "Comprehensive Sexual Education" programs in their schools, promoted by Planned Parenthood.

This is a puzzle to me, I get contacts from parents all the time, I'm here every day after school and walk-ins are welcome. I ain't so unusual either.

There is however a whole subset of kids who's parents never bother.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Tyrone, you can also check their homework and spend quality time with the kids doing just that.
That worked in kindergarten and up to maybe 2nd grade, but since then almost all the homework has been online. Unless they have difficulty with something, you never see it, you have no idea what they are doing.

Ain't you the guy who sends his kids to expensive private schools? Someone around here said that recently.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like your kids are pulling the wool over your eyes, IME this is the case most of the time when a parent has these sort of complaints.

If they are doing online assignments you can access them from home with them, you can read the directions that came with those assignments, you can check the grades for those assignments as soon as they are posted, and since your kids generated the documents or responses online, they should be able to show you exactly what they submitted.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Has anyone else tried to find out the curriculum and textbooks used in your school district?

Here's the list of State Adoptions for History (Social Studies). A two minute google.....

http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/5574/urlt/1617AIM22018.pdf

What exactly a given school uses will vary, but its gotta be off this list of official adoptions.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Birdwatcher.
I dunno if this answers your question. Took five minutes, but I know where to look.

That seems to be the key. I have not been successful in getting local or State offices to give up much info. I did find the cpalms site, but it was not much help.

Thanks. I have some emails out for answers.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ain't you the guy who sends his kids to expensive private schools? Someone around here said that recently.
The private school was just as bad. All done on a Chromebook.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like your kids are pulling the wool over your eyes, IME this is the case most of the time when a parent has these sort of complaints.
When your 150 IQ kid is nearly flunking, they do everything they can to keep you out of it. Most of the time they (that one especially) won't even tell you what they have due. Teachers rarely sent out anything to parents even when asked. Sometimes they would for a bit and quit. We ended up getting info after the fact, public schools and private.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading the posts on this thread, it looks like some of you guys didn't do so well in English or grammar class yourselves. Maybe today's schooling really isn't any different than when you went there?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sackett
After reading the posts on this thread, it looks like some of you guys didn't do so well in English or grammar class yourselves. Maybe today's schooling really isn't any different than when you went there?

Dayoom!

Did I unspell that rite ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
History is still taught here in Alaska.....

Yup, if there was anything my kids learned in high school it was US History. The school my three kids went to in Fairbanks has a very good US History teacher who is a Fellow of the James Madison Foundation..... which has very rigorous requirements for the teaching of US History and Civics.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jim all one has to do is hit the highlights.

I loved History when i was a younger guy.

I still find it interesting.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
They teach them how to get on welfare, get free food, where to go to get abortions, how to print a nice sign to stand on the side of the road for money begging.

And their legal rights and, as usual, Rs bad and Ds good.

Oh yeah, and there is no good or evil because there is no GOD or Lucifer.

Also, dumbasses like la Roy and Gooschiet memorize how smart the teachers said they were.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/10/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Most kids/families could solve this by a simple thing: dinner as a family and chat. Ask them what they are learning about etc.

As for home work on computers, yup, but it's no different than homework on paper, is it done, check it, check grades, go to parent teacher nights. Be a parent not a friend.

I have a wife who was a teacher and a son who is. Things are not as bad as made out here. Yes the NEA is an issue, but they are locally run unions that are the key. NEA ignores that except telling them how they should vote. It's also 100% up to the individual teacher and the administration. Bad admin will overcome good teachers!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

#2 son sent this to me a couple years back when he was in HS.
He was told this was a class assignment,and not to bring it home...

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What in the actual??? I'd be contacting my local news stations to see who might be interested in talking about 1. The content and 2. The directive to basically not tell your parents what we're doing..

PS: Is the crotch supposed to look like a strain of DNA or a twist wrapped piece of candy? Could go either way at a glance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With regard your local public schools, knowing what is being taught in any or all of your child's classes can be quite easy to determine - IF THE PARENTS CARE ENOUGH TO SIMPLY GO FIND OUT. In the not too distant past, parents did care enough to do so and went regularly to parent/teacher sessions and school board meetings in order to be so informed and to make their wishes and concerns known to the school leaders - this was quite common in that local parents considered the local schools as direct servants of their families and the community.

Simply go talk with the teacher concerned and ask - and go up the supervisory ladder if you do not like the answers. Go to the school board meeting, get onto the agenda, and ask for the specific curricula and course syllabi in which you are interested. Use a little bit of the force of your tax dollars and votes, and whatever real interest you have in your child, to get the straight information. This once was common - why not now?

If you truly care about course content and emphasis, act and obtain it - much more effective that general carping on a forum like this. Whose kid is it, anyway?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Right now, my AK Studies students have just finished their Duffle Bag Problem of making a list with pictures of what they would need to survive that would fit in a duffle bag for three days solo at -30 F in the Whites. They are now watching and answering questions to Alone in the Wilderness by Dick Proeneke. This is the shorter 27 minute version. You would be surprised at how many liberal children really love real Alaskan material. Its part of the FNSBSD Global Studies curriculum as we are going through Russian Period and I explain students how the Russians lived differently than people living today.

One student honestly asked me if he would get suspended if he put a picture of a rifle on his page. I told him that with possible Brown Bears looking for easy food, he could possibly die if he didn't have one.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/10/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever the teachers union says--

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
History is the can be the best or worst subject you take in school.

I always loved history.....but never did have a good teacher.

There is much opportunity to throw your bias into a history class.

If its going to be taught by communists.......it should be elective. Why force a kid to endure such blatant indoctrination?

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,357
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.