Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Our church has uniformed officers on the premises whenever the church is open and plainclothes in the congregation during services. The possibility of collateral damage from untrained folks getting involved in any shooting situation that may arise is something many including myself are not comfortable with. Dealing with a shooter in church is best left to professionals familiar/trained to deal with threats like this kind of scenario may present.

Some say the defense of our nation, our state, our family, our way of life, ourselves and on and on and on is best left to "professionals". I say they're full of chit. With an active shooter on site downside is minimal. I'll take my chances backing up Granny Bluehair anytime over being unarmed.

Gotta agree with that!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Anywhere you have the potential for emotions running high; that's where I want to carry.

Family reunion or a tractor pull around here.
Son's varsity basketball game Friday night, at least three cops, two in full paramilitary regalia. lolol Gotta protect the zebras.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
like many others above, I carry just about every time I'm at church. including funerals and weddings.

heck, I was carrying at MY OWN wedding. smile

our church has a robust security team, both formal and informal.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I carry in church. I also evaluated my normal seat and decided that center aisle, 3 pews forward of the main entrance wasn't the best spot to sit. So I moved to an outside aisle, right in front of a large pillar. Solid cover behind me and

We also had our local police chief do a walk through of the building, he made several suggestions to make the building somewhat more secure. We also gave the cops a set of blueprints to our building, they put them into their computer system. Should a problem arise, they have some idea of the building layout.

We also had a breakfast meeting with our ushers and an officer gave a presentation on perpetrators and what to look for. We have also discussed other emergencies like a fire, a heart attack, or tornado to name a few.

We referred to it as emergency preparedness, not 'a church shooter' since the other stuff is more likely to occur.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll start over, I won't lead off with the choir this time.

Our minister spent a fair amount of time this morning on safely issues. A car was stolen from the church parking lot last Sunday. She also gave a code word to alert all of us to danger.

I asked on my way out if I should bring my handgun with me. She quickly said yes.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Yes, do so. I have done so since I got my first CHL. Used to pack pocket or ankle pistols. Went to a 1911 ltwt cdr in .45ACP some time back, in an IWB holster + 2 mags.

I assume you have a concealed carry permit or live where one is not needed. If not, jump through the hoops and get you CHL. Like, soonest.

The two handguns I have are the Ruger Single Six, 22 long rifle, and a S&W Shield 9mm.

I'd rather someone else was at the rear with a 12 gauge pump.

Leave the Ruger at home, bring the S&W. I am dead-set against mandatory training requirements, but training is not a bad idea. Several different sorts of training, but one cost-effective way to get some quality hands-on gun time is IDPA or USPSA. Some say it is not training, but they are wrong(1). You may get into the gamey part of it, but be sure to use what you carry every once in a while to see how easy it is to draw & fire and suchlike with the gun you actually carry. At first, you'll be like, "WTH, way too much to learn and I have all the WRONG gear!!"

This is the Shield, and holster. a couple of you folks are welcome join us, and sit behind me, try to sing on key, and not too loud. (small smile) https://i.imgur.com/Z2vFTMF.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, but that holster is one manky nylon POS. You need to replace it with something a serious man would use.

Get a real rig:
1. Real gun belt, made for purpose.
2. Quality holster (IWB or OWB).
3. Quality mag carriers, total 1 or 2 capacity.

Hard to find the right gear in a gun shop, keeping quality leather or kydex is expensive to stock. There are a LOT of good gun rig makers nowadays. Here is the one thing you need to know: high quality custom carry gear usually only costs a bit more than barely-suitable mass produced gear. But custom takes longer to get delivered. Another thing: good and bad gear is made in leather and artificial materials (nylon, kydex, etc). I prefer leather, but kydex works great for many folks, too.

You can use your upcoming IDPA shoots to learn from fellow competitors what might work and then use that (or use all the same gear but switch to an IWB holster for carry out & about).

You could buy a quality rig right now if through El Paso Saddlery. I own plenty of their gear. Other makers of quality gear out there, but El Paso Saddley can do it all and get it to you in 4-8 weeks.
epsaddlery.com

Call them during business hours after doing your homework on the website.
915-544-2233

Dress Belt
https://epsaddlery.com/product/20-dress-belt/
(Follow fitment instructions)
1.5" wide, double thick belts will fit most all khaki & suit pant belt loops. 1.75" wide will fit most all blue jean belt lops. I run 1.5" and an IWB holster.

If you always wear blue jeans, even to church, may want to move to 1.75" wide Garrison Belt with lining (making it double thick) and specify 1.75" loops for holsters. Double-thickness belts use two pieces of leather, with grain orthogonal. Makes for a stiffer belt.
https://epsaddlery.com/product/75-garrison-belt/

Friction Mag Pouch
https://epsaddlery.com/product/friction-mag-pouch-2fd/
A nice, simple, effective 2x mag carrier. Works great for 1.5" and 1.75" gun belts.

Tortilla OWB Holster
https://epsaddlery.com/product/77-tortilla-holster/
Good OWB holster with thumb snap.
Get std 1.75" loops or 1.5" loops.

Border Boss IWB Holster
https://epsaddlery.com/product/border-boss-holster/
A good copy of the Milt Sparks VM2 holster, the Holy Grail of IWB for heavy guns. 1.75" loops standard and will work for 1.5" wide belts, too.

Good luck.

(1) Did my time in Uncle Sam's pay, did plenty of live fire and other sorts of training. Against OPFOR, as OPFOR and all that jazz.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I hope we can get younger men to do the job. Thanks all for the serious replies.

We have a meeting Tuesday night, I'll think we will spend some time on this topic.

I'm also thinking about talking to our county Sheriff about it, not asking them to guard out church, just thoughts on the topic.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would just pray, and he will answer them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are in the process of organizing a emergency response team. We will handle fires, weather, health and heaven forbid active shooters. We are learning there is a lot of things to consider. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hope we can get younger men to do the job. Thanks all for the serious replies.

We have a meeting Tuesday night, I'll think we will spend some time on this topic.

I'm also thinking about talking to our county Sheriff about it, not asking them to guard out church, just thoughts on the topic.

Might even request a male pastor as the current one is all wrong according to the Bible.
IF you actually believe the Bible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264

Might even request a male pastor as the current one is all wrong according to the Bible.
IF you actually believe the Bible.

Tom, I was raised in a Southern Baptist church, one grandfather a pastor, the other a deacon. My wife was a Methodist, not the modern day UMC kind, but the old fashioned kind. We've attended both churches during the past 50 years, mostly the Methodist, currently the Baptist. The Methodist church had a woman pastor, and I refused to go for several years because of that very reason. I am 100% certain she was a very good Christian person, and eventually I did go back to church where she was. Having said that, she was a poor leader, and that is part of what a good pastor should be..........leader of the flock.

Baptists don't have female pastors, and the church I attend is very much male dominated. I believe that there will be as many women in Heaven as there will be men, most likely more because women are usually more religious. I also believe that while the Bible tells us that a man should be the head of his household, I believe that it was not meant for a man to relegate a woman to second tier status. I believe that should apply in church as well. I believe a woman can pray for my soul just as well as man can, and I also believe that there are many places in the church where a woman can serve just as well as any man can. Having said that, I believe that just as a man is the head of his household, provided he is fit to be, I believe a man should also lead the church family.

That does not mean that a woman cannot be a church leader, or even a pastor, it just means that in an ideal situation, men should lead. As I age, I see things a lot more clearer than I once did, and in particular, religion and my relationship with God. I have my opinions, and they're probably not always right, but I also am beginning to realize that it's not always in my best interest to pass judgment on things that I have no business sticking my nose into. That would probably include a church that has a woman as pastor.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Without Pastor Missy, I strongly doubt if either the Presbyterian. or our Methodist church would have the doors open.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Tom, I was raised in a Southern Baptist church, one grandfather a pastor, the other a deacon. My wife was a Methodist, not the modern day UMC kind, but the old fashioned kind. We've attended both churches during the past 50 years, mostly the Methodist, currently the Baptist. The Methodist church had a woman pastor, and I refused to go for several years because of that very reason. I am 100% certain she was a very good Christian person, and eventually I did go back to church where she was. Having said that, she was a poor leader, and that is part of what a good pastor should be..........leader of the flock.

Baptists don't have female pastors, and the church I attend is very much male dominated. I believe that there will be as many women in Heaven as there will be men, most likely more because women are usually more religious. I also believe that while the Bible tells us that a man should be the head of his household, I believe that it was not meant for a man to relegate a woman to second tier status. I believe that should apply in church as well. I believe a woman can pray for my soul just as well as man can, and I also believe that there are many places in the church where a woman can serve just as well as any man can. Having said that, I believe that just as a man is the head of his household, provided he is fit to be, I believe a man should also lead the church family.

That does not mean that a woman cannot be a church leader, or even a pastor, it just means that in an ideal situation, men should lead. As I age, I see things a lot more clearer than I once did, and in particular, religion and my relationship with God. I have my opinions, and they're probably not always right, but I also am beginning to realize that it's not always in my best interest to pass judgment on things that I have no business sticking my nose into. That would probably include a church that has a woman as pastor.

So you disagree with the Word of God on this point?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without Pastor Missy, I strongly doubt if either the Presbyterian or our Methodist church would have the doors open.
I’ve heard some women that could flat out preach...! They were certainly capable of advancing the Gospel, that’s for flippin’ sure.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antlers
Without Pastor Missy, I strongly doubt if either the Presbyterian or our Methodist church would have the doors open.
I’ve heard some women that could flat out preach...! They were certainly capable of advancing the Gospel, that’s for flippin’ sure.

So the Word of God should be disregarded on this point?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JamesJr

So you disagree with the Word of God on this point?

TRH...........you're twisting it around, just like you do about the Holocaust. What I'm saying it is that I have enough worry with keeping myself on course to worry about what someone does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laffin’
Nobody’s salvation depends upon whether or not they agree or disagree with the Apostle Paul on ‘this’ point. He also said that women shouldn’t wear gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I didn't twist your words. I asked for clarification. See the question mark? Not asserting anything. Asking.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
laffin’
Nobody’s salvation depends upon whether or not they agree or disagree with the Apostle Paul on ‘this’ point. He also said that women shouldn’t wear gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

We can't have a meaningful discussion about that unless you provide citations like I and others have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll start over, I won't lead off with the choir this time.

Our minister spent a fair amount of time this morning on safely issues. A car was stolen from the church parking lot last Sunday. She also gave a code word to alert all of us to danger.

I asked on my way out if I should bring my handgun with me. She quickly said yes.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Several local churches have parishioners that are legally carrying concealed. This at the request of the local partors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't twist your words. I asked for clarification. See the question mark? Not asserting anything. Asking.

The word of God is very plain..........men should be the head of their household and the head of their church. But, does that mean that women should have no role, or not even be allowed to open their mouths in church.........and there are churches that believe that.

I know what Paul said about women in the church, but I also know that some of the first supporters of Jesus were women. Mary Magdalene, Joanna, and Susanna all accompanied Jesus and helped in his early discipleship, and we know it was women who went to the tomb and discovered He had risen................so to dismiss the role women played is wrong.

My whole post was to simply say that I believe it's better for one to concentrate on taking care of themselves than worrying about what another person or another church does.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,783
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.