Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you think of the link I posted?

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
One must be balanced between law and grace for without one the other will inevitably fall.
A lot of churches, and a lot of ‘Christians’, seem to have an uneasy relationship with grace...when it comes to extending it to others. The Pharisees had the Law, and they lived by it, to extremes. They practiced it to the detriment of others. They were graceless. And Jesus called em’ out on it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by efw
One must be balanced between law and grace for without one the other will inevitably fall.
A lot of churches, and a lot of ‘Christians’, seem to have an uneasy relationship with grace...when it comes to extending it to others. The Pharisees had the Law, and they lived by it, to extremes. They practiced it to the detriment of others. They were graceless. And Jesus called em’ out on it.

Right; agreed, although I would say that’s a malady that infects all of humanity not just Christians.

So you do recognize that there are two ways to fall off the horse?

If there is no law and everything is ok, what’s the need for grace? Grace implies an offense that requires forgiveness does it not?

Or is grace merely libertarian minding of ones own business?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The presence of law requires that there be those who follow it as well as those who enforce it in order for it to actually be law.

Also law necessarily includes punishment, either by man or God.

Originally Posted by Romans 13:4
For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

So, obviously, punishment is not a bad thing.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I’d rather grace than the law but then again Jesus did away with the law with His grace.

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The presence of law requires that there be those who follow it as well as those who enforce it in order for it to actually be law.

Kinda... kinda not.

The beauty of the Gospel is that God has borne the penalty of our lawlessness upon Himself in the form of His Son.

The law keeping one does after he has received this gift is out of gratitude.

The reminding I do toward my brother is out of loving concern for his walk with our Lord. It’s God who enforces.

I consider attendance to worship necessary because I’m prone to rationalize all sorts of things and need faithful brothers & sisters to remind me when I’m off. Unlike Magnum Bob up above I have no qualms about who I’d be worshipping were I to keep company only with myself on the Lord’s Day.

Ps- I see by the reference you were getting at civil enforcement I get where you’re coming from now thanks

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
I feel it's my personal duty to be armed when I go to church, much, much too many young, old, blind and or inexperienced folk in the congregation, I don't ask or tell anyone, just do it.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw

Indeed he did. That's because they strained the gnat and swallowed the camel. In other words, they really didn't care about the morality underpinning the laws, but only cared about the details of it, i.e., they were legalistic, and ignored the spirit of the law. You would have us ignore both the letter and the spirit of the law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You would have us ignore both the letter and the spirit of the law.
No. You *are* placing much importance on the letter of the law. And you *are* placing little (if any) importance on the spirit of the law. You *are* gaggin’ at gnats and swallowing camels. You’re doing just what the Pharisees did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tyrone - My initial post to efw on this thread came from Mark 2:23 through Mark 3:6; and my commentary to TRH did as well. ‘If’ you think Jesus’ views are antinomian, then you can lump my views in with His. The Moral Law is not the Civil Law of Old Testament Israel, nor is it the Ceremonial Law of worship for the ancient Jew, but it ‘is’ the unchanging requirement of supreme love for God, and an equal love for our neighbor as ourself. I subscribe, wholeheartedly, to ‘this’ Moral Law.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
I’d rather grace than the law but then again Jesus did away with the law with His grace.
👊🏻

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Next thing you know somebody is going to pull out a rattlesnake and go to dancing around with, and then drink some poison, all because the Bible said it was okay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just like the Pharisees in Jesus’ day, modern day Pharisees have taken theology and they've twisted it to empower themselves
to do the very opposite of what God commanded them to do. His command was "Love one another”

One would think that those who proclaim to know Jesus would follow his two highest commandements.

Love thy God and thy neighbor. a tall order, hence why its said few will make it through the strait gate.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Next thing you know somebody is going to pull out a rattlesnake and go to dancing around with, and then drink some poison, all because the Bible said it was okay.

The Bible also said do not tempt me.
Use wisdom.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

If there is no law and everything is ok, what’s the need for grace? Grace implies an offense that requires forgiveness does it not?

Or is grace merely libertarian minding of ones own business?

Interested to hear your thoughts on these questions Antlers.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Saved by Grace, nothing else can save us.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
If one loves God, and accepts His gift of grace through Jesus, and loves others as Jesus commanded us to, and extends grace to others as He extended it to us...there ain’t gonna be no fallin’ off the horse. Especially for not following a ‘rule’.
Originally Posted by efw
It depends on what you mean by ‘the law’. If you mean the Civil Law of Old Testament Israel...I don’t give a flip about that. I’m not ‘under’ that. If you mean the Ceremonial Law of worship for the ancient Jew...I don’t give a flip about that either. I’m not ‘under’ that. But if you mean the unchanging requirement of supreme love for God, and an equal love for our neighbor as ourself...then yes, I’m all in.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Antlers, an example of being a modern day Pharisee would be to object to a woman announcing to the parishioners before the service that the ladies auxiliary is meeting in room 2A after the service. That would be comparable to the Pharisees objecting to Jesus grabbing a piece of wheat and popping the seeds in his mouth while on a walk with his friends because it broke the rule against labor on the Sabbath. Jesus didn't mean by his condemnation of the Pharisees that the prohibition of physical labor on the Sabbath needn't be observed. Likewise, we are not to disregard the teaching that women shouldn't speak in the church, and that they certainly shouldn't be leaders of men in the church.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRH

Do you go to church with a medical trauma kit strapped to your ankle like John Corriea tells you to do?

He dont go anywhere without it!...lol

I mean if you cant shoot straight in a crowd, at least you can then patch up your victims.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Starman
TRH

Do you go to church with a medical trauma kit strapped to your ankle like John Corriea tells you to do?

He dont go anywhere without it!...lol

That guy's ready for anything.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.