Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Birdie, are blow jobs part of ghetto transactions in Texas?

I would think that might be a freebie included anywhere in any State when one asks $2,000 for a Norinco (along with three extra mags and a box of Wolf ammo of course).

It does explain your level of comprehension of economics and capitalism.

My level of comprehension of economics and capitalism is pretty good, hence my assumption of the possibility of the inclusion of sexual favors in the deal you stated. Most everyone I know might feel taken if they were paying $2,000 for a used Norinco otherwise.

Look up Jim Fuller Rifle Dynamics and see what can be done w/ an AK.

Ya, but what did he do to those $2,000 Norincos? Or was this another case of using a name to promote a product?

The fact that you don't get out much and observe the world is no ones fault but your own and could explain why you are broke

In recent years I’ve observed quite a lot of the world from a bicycle 🙂. Other than that it’s mostly been the usual urban problems stuff

Americans have the opportunity to achieve a modest success or become billionaires w/o compromising either their integrity or dignity. Hard work, constant striving to improve and risk taking are a proven formula.

Been telling that exact thing to my students for more’n 30 years cool.......

Give it a try.

.....while avoiding actually working for a living all that time....

We have a saying in education; “Do as I say, not as I do.”

You define yourself, and "educators" in general exactly as would I. You do not seem to understand the fundamentals of market capitalism if you fail to recognize that those buyers were not misled or coerced. Nor were the products misrepresented. Those buyers were happy to indulge in a purchase that was no longer easily acquired.

I do find it disturbing, though not surprising, that you equate [bleep] w/ capitalism, do you get a better rate in the ghetto? And where do BJs fit in your definition of integrity, kind of scary from a schoolteacher.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think i just heard recently of a norinco ak selling for 2500bucks.
they ain't importing them anymore.
some broken down chinese s.k.s.s are currently going for about 400bucks.
i also remember east german 7.62x39 going for 70bucks for 1200 rounds.
like you could find that at that price today.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Norinco AKs have always been well regarded. There was a time when folks could buy the goofy thumbhole stocked version for $200.00-$250.00 each. Some bought them, others invested in bicycles and old kettles. The beauty of America is that everyone is free to make their own decisions.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 10/31/19.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You define yourself, and "educators" in general exactly as would I. You do not seem to understand the fundamentals of market capitalism if you fail to recognize that those buyers were not misled or coerced. Nor were the products misrepresented. Those buyers were happy to indulge in a purchase that was no longer easily acquired.

You sold ‘em at an 800% markup because you could. OK. It’s legal. But you’re right, implying you used a name to misrepresent a product was a cheap shot.

I do find it disturbing, though not surprising, that you equate [bleep] w/ capitalism,

I find it disturbing but not surprising you fail to recognize the absurdist humor in the premise.

....do you get a better rate in the ghetto?

Strictly speaking, San Antonio ain’t big on ghettos, and no one calls it that anyway. I came here looking to be a good teacher in an inner city Hell. Turns out San Antonio only does inner-city lukewarm. Friendliest big city I’ve ever seen.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i think i just heard recently of a norinco ak selling for 2500bucks.

Damn, and I gave mine for a song to a friend, didn’t have much use for it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The most important decision one can make is what you are paying to acquire some product.
another case in point
few years ago imported from germany some sig p6's, which were basically the police version of the 225, single stack.
some other than being test fired, were brandnew, in the box, test acceptance target from the police, and manual in german.
along with a rather trick holster.
$220dollars for a new sig sauer? absolutely a no brainer. Going for about double that now.
lets say i wanted to sell one for 350bucks, wouldn't take long, and thats still 100profit over the 220..
it isn't rocket science.
Military 1911's were at one time going for about 20bucks through the nra. anybody want to buy one for 100bucks? Yeah, i thought so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Even with polished magazines, they are still just SKSs.

Chinese SKSs for $340 today

We paid $90 for a Chinese SKS in 1992.

2019 - 1992 = 27 years [ have I really had it that long in my gun safe?]

$340 / $90 = a ratio of 3.77

27th root of [3.77] = 1.05 -> 5% return interest compounded annually for owning and SKS for 27 years

That means SKSs from China beat the background inflation 3% compounded annually of average Guns, Guitars, and Gold.

End my SKS investing calculation
===============================================================================
Start stock investing calculation

I got Google stock at the IPO when it was $100 in 2004. Now after a split the equivalent of $2526.

2019 - 2004 = 15 years
$2526 / $100 = a ratio of 25.26

The 15th root of [25.26] = 1.24 -> 24% return interest compounded annually for owning Google stock for 15 years.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I stumbled across this and thought I'd contribute, as there is a lot to learn here for a guy in his mid-30s. I love old guns. There is something special about an old Parker or an old Abercrombie & Fitch--we have a couple of these in the safe. The reality is that my generation is not too nostalgic. A "fancy gun" is a wooden Benelli with some gold to my generation. Automatics are deemed much more practical.

The reality is that old rifles are not going to hold their values, as others have stated. I don't want a pre-64. I can only use 1 rifle at a time and don't want to have something that I have to clean and worry about rust and wood warping on a backpack sheep hunt. I am not a huge gun collector. I have a couple of very accurate custom rifles with very high dollar S&B scopes in my arsenal. Each of these guns would retail new for $8,000+. I would never get that out of these today on here or Gunbroker. They are killing sticks, plain and simple. They do their jobs very well. One of them was used last month on a Coues at 500 yards and performed flawlessly. I didn't worry about banging the gun around in the field, as it's not an investment--it's my weapon.

As for the shotguns, it's fun to take some of the old ones out for a field hunt at a shooting preserve or for a round of clays. However, your automatics are a one-and-done gun that will do it all for clays, ducks, geese, dove, and turkey. Simple, something my generation likes about them. Oh, and you don't have to wipe down the whole gun when someone puts a finger print on the barrel accidentally. I will still get a few old shotguns here and there but I would rather have a handful of really nice guns that I use versus a gun safe full of queens that are taking up space.

Simply stated, tastes have changed. The flat-brimmers have no problem spending $10K on a Gunwerks setup. I'd love to have a Drilling somewhere down the line and I'm sure I will. I just know I'll hear some snarky remarks from my peers--similar to the remarks I heard when I took out the pre-war Parker and proceeded to kick their butts on the clay course.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Did some reading a while back after reading about Harley Davidsons future business plans - things are changing at a fast pace with the younger generation . Happened across an article/blog saying that things like the rock climbing walls in shopping malls were mostly gone - other stuff due to lack of interest etc. .
I know quite a few lads from 35 years old down to 20 years olds and basically none of them have any interest in nice rifles - firearms in general - one has an AK-47 the other M1A that his Dad gave him .
I'm in two leases and the number of youths has dropped off a lot in the last ten years - Dads say their kids just aren't interested in anything outdoors . The ones that do come live on their phone the whole time - 9-10 years old on a phone constantly - no interest in hunting or gun talk .

That leads me to believe that many will inherit firearms or dad/grandad will try to sell them off and all of us ''mature'' guys will be full up on guns . That will lead to a huge surplus of unwanted firearms .
You reckon ?

Mike, I don't have time to read the whole thread so please excuse if this is repetitive.

I think you'll run into more problems "getting rid" of guns due to changes in firearms law POTENTIALLY, than you will on the straight-up market, including demographics. Thus far, the model has been for restrictions to be threatened and stuff to go through the roof-which is essentially good for those who already have guns but might want to get rid of them for whatever reason. That could change though if we see even one example of a state doing widespread confiscations/prosecutions, etc.

Generally, run-of-the-mill semi-auto AK's, etc. are not really collectibles. They certainly can yo-yo in value though. Also certain variants can get collectible really quick.

I think firearms as an investment overall is a sucker's bet. If you like them, collect them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brand new FN FAL
[Linked Image from ]

Some Colts and Brownings

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

70s
[Linked Image from ]

21’s
[Linked Image from ]

94’s
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by Toddly; 02/12/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People buy guns as an investment vehicle?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I buy what I like, never thought of mine as an investment. Mine aren’t worth a hell of a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as you only want to match inflation, I guess they are a pretty decent investment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
As long as you only want to match inflation, I guess they are a pretty decent investment.

err if you wanted to buy guns, you can kinda rationalize it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as of right now i could sell almost every one of my guns for what i paid. most more, some two to five times. i enjoy owning, shooting, hunting with and fondling them. i figure theres not a whole hell of a lot of things you can do that with. i would be more concerned about how gun law changes could affect the black gun market. could go either way. might make the price go up like the "pre-ban" thing of the 90's. might make them illegal in some states and you would have to jump through hoops to unload them. as i approach retirement i am going to turn most of them back into money to fund some other stuff. my kids have picked out the ones they want and the rest will be sold while i am alive and can get top buck.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any collection is only worth what someone will pay for it--

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think a sound investment if one sticks with really high end gear like European doubles and maybe American Sharps. Considered it, but with no vault handy would be afraid to leave the house unattended. Also, it would likely take considerable time to liquidate.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think they're a great investment.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The cultural change brought on by millennials and younger is profound. Their interest in anything rugged is almost nonexistent. Small game hunting is taking a particularly hard hit. As goes small game hunting, goes small game guns. No interest whatsoever. Old Ithaca 37s and Winchester Model 12s will be a dime a dozen someday, IMHO. I hope I’m wrong. It appears to be a pretty pathetic situation at this point. I can’t relate at all. Luckily, my 12 kids are crazy about hunting/shooting.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I remember when those straight pull Swiss K31 rifles came in in large numbers in very nice condition. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting one at the time. Today, I'd love to go back and pick up a couple of nice ones for $100.00 each.

and if i wanted to, i don't, i could sell them to you at 100dollars and still make money.
from memory, i think they were about 400bucks at cabella's last week, and they were at the low end of the condition spectrum.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/12/20.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.