Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t care, I have magnums I don’t need, just wanted them. I know I’m over gunned watching grandkids blast deer-pigs with a 243.

Yep my thoughts too. I didn't need them either, just wanted them and wanted to be different. Got tired of all the talk about the thutty -thutty, the thutty awt 6 , 270 and the 243. Even though I have one of each of those too.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm going to say "It depends."

For instance, I knew a fellow years ago that hunted whitetail out of club down in GA and said he'd bought a 300 WIN MAG for the deer in the swamps. That just didn't make sense to me. A coworker finally filled me in on the rest of the story: he was the camp drunk.

On the other hand my buddy, SuperCore, had a 300 WIN Mag that he loaded down to 30-06 levels and shot 165 grainers from and it was both pleasing to look at and a joy to shoot.

270 WIN is one of those cartridges that put me in an evil mood just thinking about it. On the other hand, I've never met a 270 WIN shooter that didn't seem sincere. Most of them were women, so I guess that maybe the reason I cut them slack.

People who shoot 35 Whelen are my brothers. I keep a 35 Whelen round next to my chair in the family room. I find it soothing to hold.

223 REM. Look, if you want to shoot deer with 223 REM, I'm all for it. I'm 223 REM- curious myself. On the other hand, if you show up in black tactical gear and have a M92 on a drop leg holster, I'm going to strongly suggest you hunt on the next ridge over.

People who shoot expensive 12 GA shotguns have my respect. People who hunt turkey with cheap 12 GA shotguns have my admiration. People who hunt turkeys with $1200 shotguns for turkey have my disdain. $8/round turkey loads double the disdain.

People who shoot Skeet with a deer barrel with rifle sights I know I'll be fast friends with.
People at the range who shoot full-sized torso targets with 12 GA birdshot at 10 feet are folks I want to stay away from.

I'm neither here nor their on a .300 Winchester. I suppose its a great round judging by all the people that like it. I prefer the Weatherby for its longer neck and It out runs the Winchester about 100 FPS, which is not earth shaking. Actually, I have the Weatherby because I got a good deal on a used Mark V Lazer Mark and took it.

As for the .270 Winchester, I'm no woman and I love the cartridge and I know lots of other men who love it besides me. Most people I know who bitch about it probably never shot one. All I can say about it is that it has worked very well for me for 53 years. With the right bullets it's a bang flop killer of game. I don't shoot at game over 400 yards but it will kill Medium game and elk DRT at more traditional hunting ranges. There is a move on to make barrels with tighter twists and there are some longer higher BC bullets coming out for it, so if you want to shoot to the next Zip Code I'm sure it would do that well. I don't need it and the more traditional bullets for it make me happy. There's lots of people on these forums that use it for elk. I say that even though I've never been elk hunting. But the volume of people here that claim to have killed elk with them makes me believe they are effective for that.

I agree on the Whelen. I know at least 100 people that shoot a Whelen and kill big animals with them and love it. I have a 9.3x62 that fills that niche for me, but I could have gone the other way and built a Whelen just as easily. I just got talked into building the 9.3, and I'm satisfied with it.

I feel the .223 Remington has its place. I have two, a Savage bolt gun and an AR. I haven't used it for hogs yet but know it will work on them and plan to use the AR on some this Spring. I too get cranky when I see some clown dressed like a Ninga using it on elephants. I think it has it's place but anything bigger than deer and hogs should get something more appropriate. However, you hunt your cape buffalo and I'll hunt mine.

I love 12 gauges and own 3. I don't care how much yours cost. Last time I checked my particular Citori was selling for around $1500. If you can find one cheaper good. I also have an express 870 that probably goes for less than $400 new. I don't care how much yours costs. I also have a nearly 80 year old Model 12 Winchester. I have no idea what one goes for today, and if you can find a grass sack full of 'em for $100 good for you.

And finally, I don't care how you kill your skeet. i kill mine with an improved cylinder or skeet choke tube. If you kill yours with a .270 thats fine with me. just warn me if you're doing it around where i am so I can dodge those flying bullets.

Now I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I'm just having a little fun with the OP. Actually, I'm pretty easy to please. However the only pet peeve I have is people touting the 6.5s over other diameters. There's nothing magical about them. Any caliber you can find a barrel twist that will stabilize the bullet that will make it happen for you will make it happen for you. If you can get a barrel for your .270 or hell, your 257 Roberts for that matter that will allow you to shoot your 170 grain (.270) or 130 grain (.257 Bob) that will allow you to shoot into the next zip code then go for it. I'm outta here for now, "Say good night Gracie!"

Last edited by Filaman; 02/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I always wondered why a caliber was invented in the first place. We have so many that are not different enough to matter. We had a 300 Weatherby . The bullets were expensive so the 300 Win. mag. made sense . But then a 300 Win. Short Mag and a 300 Rem. ultra mag. didn't seem to make much sense. I only buy calibers that I can find easily so the 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. is out. I have a .270 Win. , a 243 Win. and a .223 Rem. and a 22 lr. All easy to find. What I dont like is people that despise my calibers cause they think there's is better. If I had to do it all over , I think a dumb old , stupid , old mans, boring .308 Win would be fine, but then make a .35/08 Win. , a 270/08, 250/08 Win, and 24/08 WIn. Do the same with the 30-06. That would make sense cause you have the .473 case, not that I care.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/12/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And after all these many years nobody has put the B29 into production.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by paint
Growing up, I think I got a giggle out of some friends and relatives who swore that their cartridge and rifles of choice were the absolute best, and “an absolute Death Ray” if you will. They’d get pretty cocky about it, and years later, I realized that I’d attached their personalities to those cartridges.

Bingo! I do the same thing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The only thing a fishing lure has to do is catch a fisherman. It's the same deal on most cf cartridges just got to catch the shooters interest held right, placed right ,in an adequate range of suitability for the job at hand they all work. I don't like these type of arguments over what's best , sheeit might as well rule out a woman for her hair color and all she has to be really is willing for what you want. Same as beer, cold , wet, free that's all that's important . Winter getting long for some of you? MB

You mean Mann’s purple-grape worms won’t catch fish? Dang. I hope my ‘06 still works.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m still trying to figure out how a person could be so shallow or judgmental as to hold a man he doesn’t know in contempt because he chooses to hunt with a $1200 shot gun or use $8 shot. . .

SMH... 🤨

IDGAS what another man chooses to hunt with whether it be the cheapest Mossberg he got from the clearance rack the local Walmart or the most expensive custom he had handfitted from a boutique gunshop in England. It’s his money. I tend to just automatically assume - at least until proven otherwise - that he’s gonna be alright just cause he hunts...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/12/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Btw, there aren’t any calibers that should die. They’re all good as far as I’m concerned. In this day and age when all guns and their owners are under attack, I’d prefer to see even more introduced...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/12/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OAM
You guys ever meet someone and they tell you what their main rifle is and you automatically feel contempt for them? See their factory box ammo on the dash and think- what a dipshit? Maybe I'm just getting sour...

I have had those moments. Usually it is when the gun or cartridge mentioned doesn't match their persona. I have grown to understand that is a flaw of mine and not theirs. It is really just me stereotyping them. I do admit that I used to have a hate for the 22 Hornet, but it grew on me. I started with a 218 Bee before the Hornet and I couldn't understand why someone would choose the Hornet over the Bee. If I am being honest with myself I really don't like the 220 Swift or the 270 Winchester either. I had to neck turn for the first time with the Swift I owned and I hated it. The 270 kicks just enough that it is not exactly light, but just hard enough you have to hold onto it. Plus it seems like every other owner of one has to start quoting O'Connor or someone else to justify their choice. I would be a hypocrite if I did not fess up to owning a 270 Winchester and shooting two deer with it. It is one of the classics. I guess it comes down to this... I really don't care anymore what someone else uses, but I do know what I won't use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my youth once or twice I looked down my nose at some guy with a Fudd rig, or rather his rig and choice of chambering made me think he was a real Fudd, but soon learned the error of that.

Still have some reactions to two kinds of folks.

1. Disdain for those whose cartridge choice exceeds their ability to shoot it. Won't name names and it was almost 20 years ago anyway, but hunted with a guy who had a .300 Win. Mag that he had no business shooting since it made him flinch like an abused dog. Watched him blow multiple non-lethal holes around the periphery of animals, broke both front legs of one, just miserable shooting that made for miserable kills.

2. Amusement at those who try to buy skill instead of learning and earning it, I see them at sight in days every year. But hey, it keeps the gun stores profitable.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The only thing a fishing lure has to do is catch a fisherman. It's the same deal on most cf cartridges just got to catch the shooters interest held right, placed right ,in an adequate range of suitability for the job at hand they all work. I don't like these type of arguments over what's best , sheeit might as well rule out a woman for her hair color and all she has to be really is willing for what you want. Same as beer, cold , wet, free that's all that's important . Winter getting long for some of you? MB

You mean Mann’s purple-grape worms won’t catch fish? Dang. I hope my ‘06 still works.

Hell yeah they will.... but not as well as a Bagley's Springtail Magnum..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Btw, there aren’t any calibers that should die. They’re all good as far as I’m concerned. In this day and age when all guns and their owners are under attack, I’d prefer to see even more introduced...

Yep, bring back some obsolete ammos too so we can shoot some of these dead chamberings!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would pay gladly for a .44 RF ammo and a levermatic to shoot it. Last time I saw one at a gun show it was an original Henry in very good condition. Wanted $125,000 for it....no ammo. No shoot, no buy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hold on. Let me don my Nomex suit and Kevlar and climb into my bunker in an undisclosed location......

Okay, .257 Roberts, .250/3000, .280 AI, .275 Rigby AND 7x57, .358 Win., .223 AI, .338 Fed., .260, 6.5x55, .22 Hornet, .300 H&H, .35 Whelan (deliberately misspelled to add to the outrage), .30/30, all the Kreedmires, and finally the .30 Sneezer, just for Dan.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only one I can think of is the WSSM series.
From what I've understood the action sizing on them is so odd you largely can't even rechamber them to anything.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Okay, .257 Roberts, .250/3000, .280 AI, .275 Rigby AND 7x57, .358 Win., .223 AI, .338 Fed., .260, 6.5x55, .22 Hornet, .300 H&H, .35 Whelan (deliberately misspelled to add to the outrage), .30/30, all the Kreedmires, and finally the .30 Sneezer, just for Dan.

I could live without 10 of those easily. However it DONT MATTER to me
what anyone else saddles themselves with, I ain’t gotta live with em.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You go to a deer hunting sight and the 223 is one heck of a good deer cartridge specially for youngsters. You go to a predator hunting sight and there is a big problem with the 223 and runners when using it on coyotes. There must be some tough coyotes out there, I'm glad I shoot a 222 Rem and don't have those problems.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
In my youth once or twice I looked down my nose at some guy with a Fudd rig, or rather his rig and choice of chambering made me think he was a real Fudd, but soon learned the error of that.

Still have some reactions to two kinds of folks.

1. Disdain for those whose cartridge choice exceeds their ability to shoot it. Won't name names and it was almost 20 years ago anyway, but hunted with a guy who had a .300 Win. Mag that he had no business shooting since it made him flinch like an abused dog. Watched him blow multiple non-lethal holes around the periphery of animals, broke both front legs of one, just miserable shooting that made for miserable kills.

2. Amusement at those who try to buy skill instead of learning and earning it, I see them at sight in days every year. But hey, it keeps the gun stores profitable.

I love the metaphor- "flinch like an abused dog". I know a guy like that aswell.

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hold on. Let me don my Nomex suit and Kevlar and climb into my bunker in an undisclosed location......

I'm with you on all except .257 Roberts, 30-30, and 22 hornet. I own all three. I know there are 22 cals that can do it all better than my little hornet but I have had it for years and its made many trips on the trapline. I have a couple 30-30's because they are great for my kids. They have all had one. Lower recoil but enough power that I wasnt chronically worried when they would go hiking alone. Then the .257 Roberts. I have no excuses. I just like it. Its a hand-me-down pre 64 that Ive had for decades.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I just have a disdain for legislated concepts.

The 38 Super is adequate for deer, but the 9mm and 38 Special arent.
The 350 Legend is only a great idea because certain legislators created its existence, but the 351 Winchester Self Loader of over a hundred years ago is supposedly anemic turd and NOT legal.

3 inch slugs, sabot slugs and rifled slug barrels all came about because of legislation and ways to circumvent it. Muzzleloaders too. All useless and not in the interest of cleanly killing anything.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 50 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.