Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not calibers, but guys who recommend magnums for elk to newbs.
They need to die

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
223 WSSM

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
No, none, a bunch of us bassturds here are getting old and will be dead soon enough, I will show no disdain or disgust to anyone wanting to hunt or shoot any damn cartridge, I don't want the sport to die.
Also don't give a rip if a guy showed up here with a Sharps rifle in 22 Hornet he wanted to shoot black powder in, I'd set him up with machine shop Bud to cut him a wad punch and turn down a powder compression die, hell, I bet I could even find him a mold maker for casting his own bullets, the anits love and feed off our bickering and judgmental infighting, don't give em any!

BAM! My brother from OK speaks my thoughts! Shoot em all!

I like how you 2 guys think.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I get so tired of all the droning on over the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't do anything the old 6.5X55 has done for a century.

Except it does it with optimized and standardized pressure, chamber, throat and brass dimensions which make it an "easy button" solution for precision with off the rack rifles and this is particularly true for those who don't handload.

They don't even load there own ammo? Are they some kind of Communists?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, none, a bunch of us bassturds here are getting old and will be dead soon enough, I will show no disdain or disgust to anyone wanting to hunt or shoot any damn cartridge, I don't want the sport to die.
Also don't give a rip if a guy showed up here with a Sharps rifle in 22 Hornet he wanted to shoot black powder in, I'd set him up with machine shop Bud to cut him a wad punch and turn down a powder compression die, hell, I bet I could even find him a mold maker for casting his own bullets, the anits love and feed off our bickering and judgmental infighting, don't give em any!

That's right Big B, damned old crusty and opinionated old men are killing the sport and turning potential shooters and hunters off with their negative BS quicker than the antis, they need to chill and grab a fuc-kin grip! smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I like how you 2 guys think.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^cool^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Contempt? No, that's a pretty strong word to use for someone who simply uses a different cartridge or one I have absolutely zero interest in or use for. Now, if he opens his mouth and shows arrogant ignorance then....still not contempt but they quickly become a person I have no desire to be around or whose opinion carries any credence.

There's enough cartridges we don't need that would fill a full size pick-up bed. Most of them hit the market after about 1940 and of those that came out after 1940, the really good ones were already wildcats or their counterpart had been developed in Europe or Great Britain and most prior to 1900. The real improvements have been in propellants, metallurgy and tolerances. The one thing that annoys me most, nothing contemptuous, is when any cartridge reaches new heights of popularity when it does absolutely nothing that wasn't already being done, sometimes well over a century ago. It's good for those who shoot factory ammo and the ignorant, uninformed and those who need an easy button, I guess, but it isn't fact.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
None, we diversify and age old debates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Contempt? No, that's a pretty strong word to use for someone who simply uses a different cartridge or one I have absolutely zero interest in or use for. Now, if he opens his mouth and shows arrogant ignorance then....still not contempt but they quickly become a person I have no desire to be around or whose opinion carries any credence.

There's enough cartridges we don't need that would fill a full size pick-up bed. Most of them hit the market after about 1940 and of those that came out after 1940, the really good ones were already wildcats or their counterpart had been developed in Europe or Great Britain and most prior to 1900. The real improvements have been in propellants, metallurgy and tolerances. The one thing that annoys me most, nothing contemptuous, is when any cartridge reaches new heights of popularity when it does absolutely nothing that wasn't already being done, sometimes well over a century ago. It's good for those who shoot factory ammo and the ignorant, uninformed and those who need an easy button, I guess, but it isn't fact.

No the really good ones were not pre 1900. The 30-06 and 375 H&H came later.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
I just have a disdain for legislated concepts.

3 inch slugs, sabot slugs and rifled slug barrels all came about because of legislation and ways to circumvent it. Muzzleloaders too. All useless and not in the interest of cleanly killing anything.

I nominate this as the WINNER!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That's right Big B, damned old crusty and opinionated old men are killing the sport and turning potential shooters and hunters off with their negative BS quicker than the antis, they need to chill and grab a fuc-kin grip! smile

For sure... if they’re burning any kind of powder I’m down like 4 flat tires.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by HawkI
I just have a disdain for legislated concepts.

3 inch slugs, sabot slugs and rifled slug barrels all came about because of legislation and ways to circumvent it. Muzzleloaders too. All useless and not in the interest of cleanly killing anything.

I nominate this as the WINNER!

Except for all the people that REMAIN gainfully employed in the Sporting Industry manufacturing those supposed disdainful products.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dre
Not calibers, but guys who recommend magnums for elk to newbs.
They need to die

I think that’s a little EXTREME !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

For sure... if they’re burning any kind of powder I’m down like 4 flat tires.

That's it, these opinionated idiots need to open their eyes and guess how that man and kid you helped get their chit up and running, [regardless if me/you/] like it or not is going to VOTE! some people have the hardest time seeing past their noses and looking down the GD road a bit. crazy

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

HEAR ! HEAR !

Wake UP fellow gun owners, shooters, hunters, afficianodos !!!
Thanks gunner.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't really care what another person spends their money on...............it's their money and their right to do so. Having said that, I could get by perfectly well with a 22 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, a 243 for deer and coyote hunting, and a 9mm Glock.............and an AR, for the SHTF scenario. But, I wouldn't want to, as I like to have a selection to choose from, and I like having different cartridges to shoot and reload for.

Yet, to be honest, there are a lot of cartridges that don't make sense. But, killing them off is a job I wouldn't want, as I wouldn't have a clue where to start. While I think it's overkill, not to mention downright silly for someone to use a 300 magnum rifle to whitetail hunt with, it may very well be that's it the only rifle that person owns. If that's the case, then it not only makes sense, but you have to admire someone who doesn't need a safe full of rifles. Every single one of us could get by on a lot less than we think we could.......and that covers everything we do, including the number of hunting rifles we own.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwall

HEAR ! HEAR !

Wake UP fellow gun owners, shooters, hunters, afficianodos !!!
Thanks gunner.

Jerry

You bet J, far be it from me to have EVER bad mouthed a mans setup, he'll go park that rifle in the closet never to hunt or anything else, go pick up some brochures on gayass prius battery powered vegicles, Jr. wont be getting a rifle or fishing pole either, he'll get enrolled for piano and ballet lessons, guess how they'll both vote till we're fu-kin dead and gone? crazy

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hold on. Let me don my Nomex suit and Kevlar and climb into my bunker in an undisclosed location......

Okay, .257 Roberts, .250/3000, .280 AI, .275 Rigby AND 7x57, .358 Win., .223 AI, .338 Fed., .260, 6.5x55, .22 Hornet, .300 H&H, .35 Whelan (deliberately misspelled to add to the outrage), .30/30, all the Kreedmires, and finally the .30 Sneezer, just for Dan.

I'm with you on all except .257 Roberts, 30-30, and 22 hornet. I own all three. I know there are 22 cals that can do it all better than my little hornet but I have had it for years and its made many trips on the trapline. I have a couple 30-30's because they are great for my kids. They have all had one. Lower recoil but enough power that I wasnt chronically worried when they would go hiking alone. Then the .257 Roberts. I have no excuses. I just like it. Its a hand-me-down pre 64 that Ive had for decades.

Obviously, my subtle humor has plumb evaded at least a couple of the other kids. I tried to pick as many of the rounds that have small, but very enthusiastic (rabid?) followings as I could bring to mind, and threw in a couple extra to target specific campers. I don't want to see any disappear; all are useful to some degree, even "just because". "Just because" certainly generates a lot of activity around my house. There's a couple of those wending their way here right now in fact.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Dump the .300 Whelen!!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The only thing a fishing lure has to do is catch a fisherman. It's the same deal on most cf cartridges just got to catch the shooters interest held right, placed right ,in an adequate range of suitability for the job at hand they all work. I don't like these type of arguments over what's best , sheeit might as well rule out a woman for her hair color and all she has to be really is willing for what you want. Same as beer, cold , wet, free that's all that's important . Winter getting long for some of you? MB

You mean Mann’s purple-grape worms won’t catch fish? Dang. I hope my ‘06 still works.

I’ve caught a bazillion bass using an 8 inch Mann’s Jelly Worm. Purple, with a paddle tail.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.