Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mine (22 lr) has been great it is an average half inch (some better some worse) gun with most everything else under an inch (50 yds). CCI Standard Velocity shoots 3/8 to 1/2 inch. And I have shot a lot of brands through it.

Steve..........

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by se3388
Mine (22 lr) has been great it is an average half inch (some better some worse) gun with most everything else under an inch (50 yds). CCI Standard Velocity shoots 3/8 to 1/2 inch. And I have shot a lot of brands through it.

Steve..........

Pretty much the same here. An honest 1/2 group at 50 with the CCI standard velocity. Solid and hollow point. I really like mine. A good rifle for the money.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mine has been returned to Ruger three times for failure and eject, accuracy issues and a bad chamber. Ruger replaced the barrel during the last trip. I shot it today, still trying to get it to shoot with reasonable accuracy. I tried three brands of ammo today and the best it would do was about 5 inches at 50 yards using a bench and bags.The barrel is free floated. It has been restocked. Three different scopes and mounts have been tried. The trigger has been replaced. The machining on it is so rough that you could convince me that it was turned from a used Mac truck axle. The bolt feels like it is traveling across sandpaper. The first trip to the range the front sight fell off it. No thanks Ruger! I am moving on to another brand. I have a 60 year old J C Higgins 42DL that will out shoot the RAR every day using any ammo.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mauser12: I simply have a VERY hard time believing your "experience"!
Again YOUR "experience" is the EXACT opposite of MY experience (and I have NO "loyalty" or connection with Sturm Ruger & Co. what so ever!) with my batch of Ruger American Rifles and those of several of my friends that also own them!
I am chomping at the bit to get back afield this spring with my three Ruger American Rimfires - among the reasons I am so eager to do so are their accuracy, reliability, smooth function, and good handling (short stubby barrels!), flush mounted magazines and great looks.
IF.... there is ANY malfunction or "loss of accuracy" amongst any of them in the future I will immediately relay that to you, and the other CampFirers here on this forum.
And this, NONE of my Ruger American Rifles have/came from the factory with "front sights" so that "bizarre" affliction will certainly not befall me.
I shake my head - only thing I can think of is maybe YOU got a lemon (a rare one at that!) but that lame attempt at rationalizing the difference you have had with your lone Rifle and my and my friends experiences with our Rifles does nothing to alleviate your concerns.
None of my Rifles, nor those of my friends, "required" a trigger replacement like you say yours did - again I must invoke WTH?
IF... that Ruger American Rifle had poor machining and the bolt travel was as you describe it "I" would not have bought it to begin with.
That is also no solution for you but maybe a lesson learn't?
I once bought a Smith & Wesson revolving pistol, NEW, from a gunshop and that Smith & Wesson pistol had NO rifling in its 8 3/8" barrel!
The resulting difficulty of the bullet travelling down that "under-sized" barrel caused me some minor injuries and MUCH consternation.
I did not write off the Smith & Wesson Company over that instance - I owned many dozens of Smith & Wesson pistols prior to that and I have bought a couple dozen more Smith & Wesson pistols since!
By the way the "replacement" pistol the head of Smith & Wessons repair service sent me shoots as accurately as some Rifles in that caliber (17 HMR)!
I am tempted to suggest that you go try another Ruger American Rifle - look it over carefully before you buy it and go forth with a moderately priced and probably very accurate and reliable Rifle - try again.
But it sounds like that suggestion would fall on deaf ears?
Better luck in the future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I think I saw where Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the American.22 on sale for $189. I have one for the girls to use for open sight practice and it's been a good little rifle.

*Edit* Found the link: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/130219

Last edited by SockPuppet; 03/07/20.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mauser12
Mine has been returned to Ruger three times for failure and eject, accuracy issues and a bad chamber. Ruger replaced the barrel during the last trip. I shot it today, still trying to get it to shoot with reasonable accuracy. I tried three brands of ammo today and the best it would do was about 5 inches at 50 yards using a bench and bags.The barrel is free floated. It has been restocked. Three different scopes and mounts have been tried. The trigger has been replaced. The machining on it is so rough that you could convince me that it was turned from a used Mac truck axle. The bolt feels like it is traveling across sandpaper. The first trip to the range the front sight fell off it. No thanks Ruger! I am moving on to another brand. I have a 60 year old J C Higgins 42DL that will out shoot the RAR every day using any ammo.

Try working with amount of torque being applied by the bedding screws. If you need more help, Google will help.

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/28287/torque-value-on-ruger-american-22-lr-stock-screws

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845377

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mauser12: I simply have a VERY hard time believing your "experience"!
Again YOUR "experience" is the EXACT opposite of MY experience (and I have NO "loyalty" or connection with Sturm Ruger & Co. what so ever!) with my batch of Ruger American Rifles and those of several of my friends that also own them!
I am chomping at the bit to get back afield this spring with my three Ruger American Rimfires - among the reasons I am so eager to do so are their accuracy, reliability, smooth function, and good handling (short stubby barrels!), flush mounted magazines and great looks.
IF.... there is ANY malfunction or "loss of accuracy" amongst any of them in the future I will immediately relay that to you, and the other CampFirers here on this forum.
And this, NONE of my Ruger American Rifles have/came from the factory with "front sights" so that "bizarre" affliction will certainly not befall me.
I shake my head - only thing I can think of is maybe YOU got a lemon (a rare one at that!) but that lame attempt at rationalizing the difference you have had with your lone Rifle and my and my friends experiences with our Rifles does nothing to alleviate your concerns.
None of my Rifles, nor those of my friends, "required" a trigger replacement like you say yours did - again I must invoke WTH?
IF... that Ruger American Rifle had poor machining and the bolt travel was as you describe it "I" would not have bought it to begin with.
That is also no solution for you but maybe a lesson learn't?
I once bought a Smith & Wesson revolving pistol, NEW, from a gunshop and that Smith & Wesson pistol had NO rifling in its 8 3/8" barrel!
The resulting difficulty of the bullet travelling down that "under-sized" barrel caused me some minor injuries and MUCH consternation.
I did not write off the Smith & Wesson Company over that instance - I owned many dozens of Smith & Wesson pistols prior to that and I have bought a couple dozen more Smith & Wesson pistols since!
By the way the "replacement" pistol the head of Smith & Wessons repair service sent me shoots as accurately as some Rifles in that caliber (17 HMR)!
I am tempted to suggest that you go try another Ruger American Rifle - look it over carefully before you buy it and go forth with a moderately priced and probably very accurate and reliable Rifle - try again.
But it sounds like that suggestion would fall on deaf ears?
Better luck in the future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Another for the record, I encountered a shooter with a new rifle. The rifle was shipped a target showing a group under a MOA at 100 yards. His results were all over the target. After much examination, it was discovered that the rifle had no rifling. I would love to know how the sample target group, shipped with the rifle, made its way into box with the rifle. The target even had the rifle's serial number on it.

Humans can be humans. The people doing things at the factory may have been earning an A- grade. When I was in high school, it would have made my parents very excited and happy if I had brought home report cards with an A- average grade.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I know it's been hashed over, ad naseum on other forums, but I sure would like to put a 'premium' 22 rimfire barrel with a match chamber on a a RAR RF Target or LR Target. Since no one is making barrels specifically for the RAR RF, it seems the consensus it to take a 'premium' 10/22 barrel, cut the shank off, turn the barrel down, rechamber and cut the extractor slot. Little bit more that I want to bite off myself.

That's kind of what I did to my old 77/22M. Went with a Walther 10/22 bull barrel, the 22l.r with tighter bore. Had the action and barrel threaded. Spec'd a tight 22Mag reamer by Pacific. The whole thing wasn't cheap but with Win 40JHP it shoots about like a match 22lr, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,033
Posts18,481,900
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.