Snowboardguy: I very much enjoy my Ruger American Varmint, rimfire, Rifles!
I own three of them.
One is in 17 HMR (heavy barrel, blued, laminated stock) and the other two are in 22 L.R. (one in the heavy barrel blued with laminated stock and one in stainless with a custom stock).
I also own some Ruger 77's in 22 L.R. and 17 HMR for long term/first hand comparisons.
I am more than happy with the accuracy of my Ruger Americans - I have top quality scopes on them and use better 22 hollow-point Hunting ammo in them and Hornady V-Max ammo in the 17 HMR (so keep that in mind).
The triggers on my three Ruger Americans are very pleasing to me and very conducive to accurate shot placement - including afield.
I am NOT the type of person who would own/take a savage Rifle out in public so I have NO large amount of experience with the "savage" Accu-Trigger. I have a few uncouth friends who are able to look past the aesthetics of the savage line and I have on rare occasion shot their "rifles", with the Accu-Trigger! Similar I would surmise in that regard.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Ruger American "Varmints" - I have not warmed up to their "savage-like", plastic stocked, sporter barreled, standard model.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy