Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think the RAR action is really better made than many of the classic rimfires that make us get all misty-eyed like Rem 580-series, old Marlins, the cheap old Winchesters, etc. Mine seems pretty solid. Apparently some have issues with extraction, but what the problem is a mystery to me. Mine works perfectly. JB just mentioned this a day or so ago.

Mine also worked flawlessly. It was on par with my Mossberg chuckster 640KD in terms of real world accuracy. These are great little rifles. 2 of my buddies loved mine so much, that they went right out and bought one for themselves. They also bought the 22WMR. One uses his religiously on yotes. Works like a champ. I also hate to admit it, but my other buddies RAR 22WMR outshoots mine, and mine isn't a slouch:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I cannot find one up here to save my life. I want a 22 mag, great for ptarmigan.

J, maybe look for a savage 93?

I will give one a look, just want a good shooting 22 mag. I was looking at the Marlins about fell over seeing the prices now days. Seeing groups like your 22 mag is what I want for head shooting ptarmigan and grouse.

J, I honestly can't say one bad thing about the RAR rimfire. I really like the Ruger rotary magazine. I'm glad they used that mag, instead of some cheap plastic crap like some manufactures try passing off as a suitable magazine. We all know the Ruger design is far superior with its flush mount and dependable operation. The reason I mentioned maybe looking at the Savage 93 is because I know you shoot left handed and they make a left hand model 93. I also shoot left handed, but like shooting right handed rifles off the bench. That allows for very quick manipulation of the bolt handle. One of the reasons I can almost keep up with the guys using Ruger 10-22's at the club's golf ball shoots. To be perfectly honest, the Savage rifles I've had generally out shoot the RAR rifles, but I've only had experience with the 22" model RAR's, not the predator models, which have a slightly heavier barrel profile. I think the OP would be very happy with the RAR, as I know I loved mine. However, with different rimfire shoots that I participate in I had to switch to the 17HMR and I also went to the Savage models, as they are know for their excellent accuracy. Here's a pic of 2 of my savage rifles and my RAR 22WMR:

Here's how my 93R17 shoots on a consistent basis. This target is actually a target that I shot at one of my clubs rimfire shoots. I believe it was a fall turkey shoot, where I walked away with 4 out of the 6 turkeys they were giving away that year:
That X-ring is only 1/2 in diameter....^^^^^

Also, here's how my Savage A17 shoots:

I actually sold my Ruger 10-22 Target model after I found out how well the A17 consistently shoots. Competing against 22lr 10-22's is like cheating when I'm using that rifle, but they say any rimfire can compete. The last competition was a bugger for the little 22lr's though, as whoever hot glued the strings onto the golf balls used too much and the 22lr's didn't want to take the ball off the string. The 17HMR, on the other hand, knocked them off with authority. If you are looking for something to head shoot ptarmigan's with, you may want to look into the 17HMR, as it has a slight edge in accuracy over the 22WMR. Good luck to you buddy and hopefully my post doesn't sway too far away from the OP's interest in the RAR rimfire rifle. Guys like varmintguy can hate savage all they want, but when it comes to downright consistent accuracy and precision, it's pretty hard to beat them....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA