Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 62 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 61 62
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by efw
My experience is that God calls to those with open minds and hearts who know they’re deeply flawed and want to know Him.

I’ve met many people who didn’t believe but didn’t NOT believe and who asked God to show Himself to them and none were ignored.

But in the interest of fairness, if you’d prefer to shake your fist or wave your bird at Him instead you’ll also get the answer you seek.

That was not my experience. I tried. The more I learned about it, about the Bible, about science, about religions in general and about the world the less it made sense. I could lie to everyone else of course but if He is real then I figured I wasn't fooling Him. You reckon he'd be more pissed at trying to pull one over on Him or not pretending to be faithful?

Well, you were right in not fooling Him. Now, learning science, the apparent contradictions in the Bible, about other religions and then making your "intelligent" deduction and thus relying on your own understanding rather than having faith is a losing proposition.

How many years did you ask Him in prayer to give you faith and help you overcome your unbelief, not saying I'm an expert or good example or very well versed in this.

Numerous years, off and on. And I wasn’t asking to overcome unbelief, I was asking for asking for conviction on what I assumed must be true but had never felt truly and didn’t figure He would appreciate me lying about it to Him

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A lot of Atheist deconverted by reading the Bible.
Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned a Bible, never read a Bible...because there was no Bible to be had or read. But these men and women turned the world upside down; they’re the reason that people worship Jesus today; and they never held a Bible because there was no Bible until the fourth century.
Not really, Christianity most likely would have remained a small cult had it not been for Paul's promotional work and Constantine adopting Christianity as his state religion.
Yes really. “These men and women” that I mentioned above actually saw Jesus die, and later they saw Him alive. They witnessed the very event upon which Christianity is founded. And ‘that’ event is what sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been gone from home all day. Has this issue been settled? One side convinced the others? Jesus' simple message of salvation through repentance evidenced by a changed life and good works sure has gotten twisted up by some of those who claim to be his best friends. By the way, Jesus message wasn't anything new. He was just pointing out that those of his day who claimed to be God's representatives had run off the rails. If he came back preaching the same message today's church would not let him live three years.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned a Bible, never read a Bible...because there was no Bible to be had or read. But these men and women turned the world upside down; they’re the reason that people worship Jesus today; and they never held a Bible because there was no Bible until the fourth century.

Parts of the old Testament date to around 500 BCE and most of it predated the early Christians and proto-christians so they had religious texts reflective of at least parts of the OT.

If your do not believe The Bible is at least the "inspired word of God", than yours is a minority position among Christians. Marcion allegedly put together the first cannon sometime in the second century, which supposedly included six of the original letter of "Paul" and a variant of Luke. It's still debate if Marcion's luke was a proto-Luke or an abridged version of Luke.

It's true, the variouis pre-christian sects didn't have any of the modern cannons, but they did have texts, of and were very skilled at forging new ones. Heck, there was at least 60 gospels that we know.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Not really, Christianity most likely would have remained a small cult had it not been for Paul's promotional work and Constantine adopting Christianity as his state religion.
Yes really. “These men and women” that I mentioned above actually saw Jesus die, and later they saw Him alive. They witnessed the very event upon which Christianity is founded. And ‘that’ event is what sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible.

And upon what do you base this claim?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Religion would otherwise say the same, oh, and where did god come from?

If God exists He has no beginning being Infinite, Intelligent, Energy. It might be a cute question to foolish people but it like asking, "To whom is the bachelor married?"

Originally Posted by DBT
Nobody is claiming that we came from nothing.

Apparently you don't understand the theory of evolution. You ever hear of The Big Bang? Nothing became something and that something became intelligent people.

All of this has been explained to you numerous times...did you not read what was said? Perhaps you didn't understand?

Does it have to be repeated....only to have the same fallacies raised?

Please explain the fallacies of the Big Bang.

Originally Posted by DBT

I guess you never heard about the other disciples who went out and taught others to go out.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

“These men and women” that I mentioned above actually saw Jesus die, and later they
saw Him alive.

How many verifiably saw such?
A ballpark figure will do, and how
you arrived at such figure.

Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT

Christianity most likely would have remained a small cult had it not been for Paul's promotional work and Constantine adopting Christianity as his state religion.

I guess you never heard about the other disciples
who went out and taught others to go out.

You sound unaware of the pivotal role Roman emperors
sympathetic to Christianity, played in the spread of
Christianity.
Scholarly books on the Romans usually have
A good solid chapter on religion\Christianity
from which you can gain better understanding.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT

Are you denying it...? Are you claiming it didn’t happen...?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
I guess you never heard about the other disciples who went out and taught others to go out.
You sound unaware of the pivotal role Roman emperors sympathetic to Christianity, played in the spread of Christianity. Scholarly books on the Romans usually have a good solid chapter on religion\Christianity.
You attributed the above quote to me...a quote I clearly did not make.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes my mistake on that(and corrected)
but there's still this...

“These men and women” that I mentioned above actually saw Jesus die, and later they
saw Him alive.

How many verifiably saw such?
A ballpark figure will do, and how
you arrived at such figure.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Do you not believe that sources matter?
Are you afraid to have that discussion?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saw Him alive.
How many verifiably saw such? A ballpark figure will do, and how you arrived at such figure.
Why is ‘this’ question of interest to you...?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
saw Him alive.
How many verifiably saw such? A ballpark figure will do, and how you arrived at such figure.

Why are you afraid to answer it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you not believe that sources matter? Are you afraid to have that discussion?
Again, are ‘you’ denying it...? And again, are ‘you’ claiming it didn’t happen...?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Do you not believe that sources matter?
Are you afraid to have that discussion?
Again, are ‘you’ denying it...? And again, are ‘you’ claiming it didn’t happen...?

You are the one claiming it happened,

Let's hear your evidence, or do you not have any?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/19/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Curious minds want to know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are the one claiming it happened.
Are ‘you’ claiming it didn’t happen...?
If ‘you’ are claiming it didn’t happen, let’s hear ‘your’ evidence, or do ‘you’ not have any...?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

We don't have eyewitnesses telling us what they saw. What we have is anonymous authors giving their accounts on the basis of hearsay decades after the described events with copying a high degree of copying, Mark as the earlier version, etc

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You are the one claiming it happened.
Are ‘you’ claiming it didn’t happen...?
If ‘you’ are claiming it didn’t happen, let’s hear your evidence, or do ‘you’ not have any...?

You are the one making the claim.

I just asked you to provide your sources and evidence for it.

If you don't have any, just admit it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

We don't have eyewitnesses telling us what they saw. What we have is anonymous authors giving their accounts on the basis of hearsay decades after the described events with copying a high degree of copying, Mark as the earlier version, etc

What?

The Gospels are anonymous copies of copies of copies of copies of copies, with our earliest version put to parchment centuries later?

Really?

Say it isn't so!!

I wonder if that's why Antlers doesn't want to discuss sources, especially after making such a big deal about no {mostly) bibles existing until 400 years after the alleged events?

Page 25 of 62 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,947
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.