-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So far, I'd say I'm on the plus side of the ledger. I've at least tried not to be too much of a burden.

I've raised 3 good sons and I've got a granddaughter who says hunting with Grandpa is her favorite thing in the whole world.

My 91 year old mother still talks to me.

My wife still smiles when I come home.

Most people smile when I show up in their office.

I've got my name on a map. It's a small place, and it's a few hundred feet underground, but I was probably the first vertebrate to get there. It isn't exactly Ed Hillary, but at least I got to push the envelope a little.

There are about a half-dozen people who will say I saved them from suicide. So far no one has claimed I'm responsible for their attempts, so I guess that's a win.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An unintentionally snarky philosophical question.

If the majority of people have left the world a better place, after tens of thousands of years and billions of homo sapiens why hasn't their cumulative betterment made the world a literal paradise?

In a hundred years, who will remember your name or what you did in your life? In two hundred...?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My boomer inlaws are going to leave me a hell of a mess to sort out.

2-3 million in assets, no estate planning, nothing surveyed, no long term care insurance, 3 tons of hoarded magazines, newspapers, pickle jars, flower pots.

I‘ll start with a 20 yard dumpster

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds like your going to have fun when the time comes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hard to say, but I hope so. Like others have said, proudest thing is my two sons and the men they turned out to be. Both are married with great wifes, one is making me a grandfather in a few more weeks! Both love spending time with Mom and Dad and we talk routinely on the phone (we've moved 2300 miles away from them!)

We spent years coaching youth sports, staying involved with out kids and putting the values into them we felt where right. Sometimes happiness comes from unexpected places. One young kid we coached in soccer, at about age 12. He was very good. Found out a few years later that he only played that year cause he parents pushed him a bit, he was good, but wasn't having fun. By sheer luck we got him, we focus on having fun and learning the game, we found out when he was graduating form HS with a full ride soccer scholarship, that we turned his soccer love around from wanting to quit to loving it again. He's now a doctor, we had a small bit to do with that, at least helping get it paid.

Had a chat with my wife one night, she was a bit bummed because she always wanted to make a difference in life and didn't feel she was. I essentially told her "how do you know? You may not personally cure cancer, or any humanity altering thing like that, but what if your purpose is to raise a kid who does that, or a grand child. You never know how the plan all plays out"

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 02/20/20.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
callnem: You are just talking out your ass now - and making a fool of yourself publicly!
I am a baby boomer (born in 1947) and the son a wounded WW-II veteran and prisoner of war!
He and I are/were "entitled" to exactly NOTHING in our lives and worked industriously, honestly and intensely all our lives to attain all we have/had (small fortunes apiece!)!
Please illustrate any and all "entitlements" that you are under the misunderstanding of, that I took advantage of?
Keep in mind I lived the first several years of my life in a tar paper shack and used an outhouse - and I was 5 years old before I used a flush toilet at my "home".
Because, if there is ANY truth at all to what you are burping up, I would sure as hell like to know of them!
Sheesh, there seems to be a never ending supply of idiots around our country anymore?
Double sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I haven’t done much, I pretty selfish if truth was known. Made three kids that are good people, that’s about it. I haven’t taken a penny of government assistance. I’m very proud of that!!!

hanco I wish everyone that made kids were able to say the same thing. Good on ya

.... like tears in the rain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Made three kids that are good people,

That alone is bordering on a miracle in this day and age. Congratulations.

Lynn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
callnem: You are just talking out your ass now - and making a fool of yourself publicly!
I am a baby boomer (born in 1947) and the son a wounded WW-II veteran and prisoner of war!
He and I are/were "entitled" to exactly NOTHING in our lives and worked industriously, honestly and intensely all our lives to attain all we have/had (small fortunes apiece!)!
Please illustrate any and all "entitlements" that you are under the misunderstanding of, that I took advantage of?
Keep in mind I lived the first several years of my life in a tar paper shack and used an outhouse - and I was 5 years old before I used a flush toilet at my "home".
Because, if there is ANY truth at all to what you are burping up, I would sure as hell like to know of them!
Sheesh, there seems to be a never ending supply of idiots around our country anymore?
Double sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Nothing there extraordinary, entitled yes.

Last edited by callnum; 02/20/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
An unintentionally snarky philosophical question.

If the majority of people have left the world a better place, after tens of thousands of years and billions of homo sapiens why hasn't their cumulative betterment made the world a literal paradise?

I see it as an accumulative process.
we, as a species, are trending toward the better?
not that it doesnt go completely into the schitter every now and again.
but by and large, a lot of the planet has only "first world problems" to contend with.

I flush the toilet with better water than my father drank in Germany.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Double sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't sweat it VG, Cal-nut has free time on his hands[see the Antifa thread]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by callnum
Boomers are funny.

And desperate.

Millennials aren’t...Funny!

I’m XGen. I didn’t stand on the shoulders of others. I made my own way through life making, money, mistakes, learning from others, making more money, not having kids - figured there’s enough population without me adding to it.

I never considered who fücked up before me, I guess, it didn’t matter anyway, I was responsible for myself and making a life for me, and eventually my wife. Probably too busy making my life to blame a previous generation for anything.

Homes, cars/trucks, guns, toys, clothes, food, whatever else God or man made is available if a person makes a decision to go for it, knowing life mistakes are going to happen that set a person back, or make it hard to start, that is, unless someone gifted you a silver spoon in your mouth...Life is a work or art, and you’re your own artist.

Why you bitch about the mural you are painting is beyond all of us...If you don’t like it, repaint it. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How can I put this? Do you think you are making a better world by what you have done?

It depends on the yardstick. As I measure it, yes. I care about my peeps. I have a twisted view of the world, see things through weird eyes from abnormal perspectives, connect dots others miss. When I apply that to the problems people I care about are facing often I find solutions they've missed. Measured by their appreciation as I do, yes, I make the world better.

If you mean did I save the gay whales, find whirled peas, solve world hunger, fix pollution and global warming (hee hee), find a cure for cancer, whatever the glamorous thing are .. nope, I'm a failure. I'm ok with that. We can only do what we can reach to do. By chipping off our little piece of the big thing, the big thing gets smaller, maybe small enough for someone else to whip it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I guess so. I saved a little girl from drowing when she was about twelve years old. Later on two occasions I was told, "If it wasn't for you my address would be boot hill."

Also I was instrumental in bringing a few people to the Lord.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by centershot
Yes.

Voting for Trump again in November will help also.

I haven't done much for the world during my life but I can guarandangtee that one is in the bag unless I croak....in which case I might vote democrat through no fault of my own.

Last edited by RJY66; 02/20/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some of us can leave the world a better place just by getting on with leaving it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm curious why you think Boomers are more entitled than anyone else.

I'm not eligible for SS benefits even though I contributed over 12K to it.

Never did unemployment compensation.

So, why is my generation more entitled?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some of us can leave the world a better place just by getting on with leaving it.
True dat...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Callnum, I'm waiting......

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Ive done some things that I am not proud of. I like to think I'm slowly making up for them though.

Last edited by OAM; 02/20/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.