Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
OK, since I'm the OP, I think wild turkey sucks, end of wild turkey discussion..........love shooting them though. 3 with one shot is my personal best.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sourdough44
I rate moose about near the top, slightly better than Elk, which is a lot better than venison.

This...I fondly remember FRESH Moose tenderloins..grilled ..
In AK...after 2 weeks in the bush eating freeeze dried @$$%..
Most likely the finest protein I have ever savored....

Elk is a close second...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Moose is excellent!

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
OK, since I'm the OP, I think wild turkey sucks, end of wild turkey discussion..........love shooting them though. 3 with one shot is my personal best.

I’ve caught three with my bare hands.

You don’t hang on to them very long, I can tell you.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

I wish butter would take away their rank

Woogie boogie, mfers !!!! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hahaha is that Rene running rogue there??

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Big Game: Elk, whitetail, Mule deer, Pronghorn in that order.
Birds: Mallards,Wood ducks, Mourning doves, Pheasant, Turkey, Chukars, Quail, Woodcock, and way behind geese, fish ducks
Small game: Squirrels, cottontails, swamp rabbit, raccoon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JTman
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

Yeah

Those bovines wanted to stomp our deke sets, they came in to a series of calls. Lol

There are real turkeys in that pasture all day long. But noooooooooo they had to be nosey. lmao

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I told ren, Mrs Opal was gonna beat him with a wooden spoon for running weight offa them cattle. 😃

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JTman

Yeah

Those bovines wanted to stomp our deke sets, they came in to a series of calls. Lol

There are real turkeys in that pasture all day long. But noooooooooo they had to be nosey. lmao

Haha, that's the way shiet happens!! You guys sure seem to have fun down there! I'm jealous.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dall sheep
Sand hill cranes
Sitka blacktails
Moose
Berry bears
North slope caribou

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnn
Dall sheep
Sand hill cranes
Sitka blacktails
Moose
Berry bears
North slope caribou

There is absolutely no suckage on that list!

Last edited by Sitka deer; 02/19/20. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its worth what you paid...

And I've not had them all but have eaten enough of each I list to like my list. I have never been to Africa or eaten African game.

Dall Sheep
Moose
Elk/Nilgai
Axis

I'm not sure I wouldn't flip the last two, pretty close...

I'll never turn down moose. One of the few I've never had anyone say a single bad thing about even if its straight hamburger... which is often the way we eat it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Think I posted these recipes last year but I'll do it again.

Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
Particular parts of the turkey used for a batch are one each leg, thigh and wing along with half whatever trimmings can be had from the back. Ingredients as follows:

Wild turkey as stated, with leg and thigh cut to the bone in multiple places to speed cooking.
1 cup each of the following:
Fresh sliced carrots,
Fresh sliced celery,
Frozen English peas,
Frozen whole kernel corn,
Dry wild rice or blend.

Half a small to medium sweet onion, chopped,
Half a head of garlic smashed, bashed, or chopped
Half teaspoon +/- of black pepper as desired,
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of salt also as desired,
2 or 3 large bay leaves,
a tablespoon or two of Worcestershire.

Place turkey pieces in a large pot with lid and cover well with water. Add bay leaves along with some powdered garlic for aroma. I like to add a good surface sprinkle of meat tenderizer at this point to aid in separating meat from bone as later required. Cook at an energetic simmer for around 4 hours. Additional water will need to be added to keep meat submerged as it cooks. After allotted cooking time remove turkey from pot and set aside to cool. Add wild rice and an additional 2 cups water to stock along with the prepared garlic, salt, and black pepper. The wild rice blend I used called for a cooking time of 45 minutes. I set my timer for 30. While rice cooks and after meat cools a bit, remove meat from bones, tendons, and excess connective tissue, and cut into desired sized pieces. After 30 minutes cook time for the rice add celery and onion and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add carrots and simmer an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Add de-boned meat and whatever additional water is needed for desired broth level and bring to roiling boil for a minute or two. Add peas, corn, and Worcestershire, stir, and remove from heat. Sample the broth and add seasoning if desired. Replace cover and let stand 10 minutes or so if you can. It's now ready to eat and will thicken just a bit as it stands.

Dad’s Chicken Soup
“To heal the sick, strengthen the weak and fortify the strong.”

1 chicken cut into pieces easy to boil. Remove skin but leave some fat.
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups frozen English peas
1 cup corn
1 small/medium onion diced or sliced
1 head of garlic crushed or equivalent
8 oz. egg noodles
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 ½ tablespoon salt
3 large bay leaves maybe more
Place chicken pieces and bay leaves in strainer tub of large spaghetti pot and cover well with water. Sprinkle with garlic powder or add some crushed garlic for aroma. Cook about 35 minutes or until fork tender. Remove strainer tub with chicken and set aside to cool. Make sure bay leaves are left in the broth. When chicken cools debone and cut meat into desired size. Add onion and remainder of garlic to broth, bring to boil and cook 5 to 10 minutes. Add carrots and celery to broth, bring to low boil and cook 5 minutes. Add noodles and cook 8 minutes. Add chicken, peas and corn, add water to fill remainder of pot, return to boil and turn off heat. Let sit half an hour or so if you can. Enjoy and share with the love of Jesus.

If you're sick with some kind of kroop that keeps you snorting and coughing and just feeling bad, chicken soup is one of the best feel good foods I can think of. In this recipe just substitute plus or minus pound for pound the turkey parts and chicken. Daughter has always called it Dad's chicken soup thus the name. Good eatin' to all y'all.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Bull moose in late rut can be gamey, especially when its an older bull. I love moose and always have. There is alot of meat on a moose so once he is face down your stuck eating him for months. Thats why I tend to pass on big old gnarley bulls. But a young bull or cow thats killed quickly is second only to caribou in my opinion.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,656
Posts18,474,665
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.