Home
Posted By: JGRaider Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc. African antelope, antelope, nilgai. I'm really wanting to shoot a moose, and have found a Newfoundland outfitter that I like, and can get the meat back home to enjoy.

Question: Where does moose meat fit into the "best game meat" scenario?
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc. African antelope, antelope, nilgai. I'm really wanting to shoot a moose, and have found a Newfoundland outfitter that I like, and can get the meat back home to enjoy.

Near the top IMO....
Posted By: hanco Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Pussy. The ultimate wild game!!!
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Where does moose fit? Depends on who ya ask! Know a lady in Arizona that her and her boyfriend went to Northwest Territories and hunted Musk Ox. She said it was the hands down best meat she ever ate! I've always wondered what different meat tasted like and something I found out is it depends on how the meat is taken care of and cooked. I've had Moose ribs and don't care if I never see another, same with bear ribs! I think that handling the fresh meat and cooking it can make or break any meat. I recall stew an Aunt in Michigan made many years ago. Made it from deer and was some of the best meat I ever ate. First wife was the best cook I ever knew. She could work wonders with any game meat I brought home!
Posted By: hatari Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20

Dude! Moose ranks near the top!
One of the few game animals taht the fat marbles. T-bones out of a moose are something special. For me, only Eland is a rival.
Posted By: hatari Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by hanco

Careful! Quality and supply varies.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
It's up there but I like Pronghorn better.
Best: Pronghorn

Worst: Bear
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Moose, lean beef
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I rate moose about near the top, slightly better than Elk, which is a lot better than venison.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Time for the Alaska hands to chime in here. Dry (relatively anyway) land moose heap good. Swamp moose...potlatch to relatives and bad neighbors.
Posted By: JTman Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I've only had moose once and I thought it was fabulous; it was burger and I thought it was better than beef.
Posted By: Mike_Dettorre Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I am a huge fan of cow elk and I find moose to be just as good.
Posted By: GregW Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20

Thanks for your anticipated meaningful contribution...
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by hatari

Careful! Quality and supply varies.

We talking big game or dangerous game? Few things more dangerous, IMO....
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I really like moose meat but my family actually prefers caribou.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Near the top IMO....

Those Bighorn sheep sticks you had are second to none...
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Best: Pronghorn

Worst: Bear

Never had pronghorn but bear is one of my favourites. Anyone I’ve cooked it for has liked it.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
You can buy a bunch of steak for the price involved
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
MSG will make even orange tabby cat taste good.

Possum is still pretty nasty, it just ain’t me
Posted By: fester Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
MSG will make even orange tabby cat taste good.

Crockpots do the same
Posted By: Huntr Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
The moose I got in Alaska is simply fantastic. I think I would rate it above cow elk.
Posted By: JimR Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Moose is probably our favorite with caribou being least favorite. We also like cow elk and antelope but didn’t enjoy the Musk ox I shot.
Posted By: Couesdeer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I have never eaten moose. That being said, the best game meat I have ever eaten was a yearling bison. Every pronghorn that I have tried has been excellent too.
My favorite small game has to be squirrel (perhaps because I don't get an opportunity to hunt them as often as quail/dove /rabbit).
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
At one time, Safari Club listed them in this order

1 giraffe

2 mountain nyala

3 moose
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Appreciate all the guys that actually read the OP and answered the question. Maybe the rest can take some online ADD classes or something. I can't say I'm surprised though.
Depends on who and how it's cooked. I've had great and awful off the same deer ham.
Posted By: OAM Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc.

Miscellaneous meat is in your top 4? Its not even in my top ten...
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by OAM
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc.

lol, I think the misc. goes along with the African antelope
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by OAM

lol, I think the misc. goes along with the African antelope

I know. Lol
ahhhh. sailed over my head
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Near the top IMO....

I agree this would be my favorites
Sheep
Elk
Moose
Prong Horn
Posted By: las Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by moosemike

Nothing beats grass-fed pronghorn. Never had any that fed on mostly sage.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by las

Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

Excellent post.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
I have never eaten moose. That being said, the best game meat I have ever eaten was a yearling bison. Every pronghorn that I have tried has been excellent too.
My favorite small game has to be squirrel (perhaps because I don't get an opportunity to hunt them as often as quail/dove /rabbit).

Squirrel are better than quail, dove or rabbit. Sandhill crane are pretty darn good.
I like doe whitetails better than steak. It's getting hard to find even prime steak that really has good flavor.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Squirrel are better than quail, dove or rabbit. Sandhill crane are pretty darn good.
I like doe whitetails better than steak. It's getting hard to find even prime steak that really has good flavor.

“Prime deer”would be the ones caked in mud standing in knee-deep manure, nose to ass in a corral.
Mmmmmmmm,mmmmmm
Yeah, GJ. Theres no right answer. So I'm going with venison, elk, moose, antelope and squirrel. smirk

I like the sweetness of whitetail doe.

I have had squirrel twice and neither time did I enjoy it. I dont know if it was just a poor tasting sub-species of your local squirrels or if its was a matter of our squirrels diets. Either way, I feel like I am missing out. There is alot of people on this forum that seem to really like the little critters. Somebody send me some good squirrel and I will trade some good porcupine.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#1 = Whitetailed Deer (grain fed and harvested before the rut)
#2 = Elk (again harvested before the rut)
#3 = Mule Deer (grain fed before the rut)
#4 = Moose (avoid older bulls in this ranking)
#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#6 = Antelope (cared for properly and cleanly kill't)
#7 = Mt. Goat
#8 = Bear (Bear roast with onions, carrots and potatoes is really good!)
#9 = Cougar
#10 = Wild Turkey (can't figure out a "good" way to prepare these?)
#11 = Canada Goose (made into sausage!)

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

We are thawing out some filet mignon of Whitetailed Deer for dinner tonight!
I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by OAM

I have had squirrel twice and neither time did I enjoy it. I dont know if it was just a poor tasting sub-species of your local squirrels or if its was a matter of our squirrels diets. Either way, I feel like I am missing out. There is alot of people on this forum that seem to really like the little critters. Somebody send me some good squirrel and I will trade some good porcupine.

Hahaha. No thanks. I would send some but the fox squirrels and cat (grey) squirrels were scarce in E Texas where I hunt the last two years.

Hit me up next fall.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by las

I hear you las. Good stuff. The flip side is I've never ran across anybody who sampled Axis meat who said it was anything other than fantastic. There will likely be some pop up now though. Thanks.
Posted By: acy Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
I've had whitetail, caribou, elk, moose, mule deer, bear, antelope and bison here in North America. Several different species of antelope, wildebeest, warthog and zebra in Africa. My favorite was zebra loin cooked rare over a wood fire; but some of that could have been the tafel lager, the campfire and the overall experience. For North America, I put moose on top. So does my son. One daughter prefers whitetail, the other caribou. Wife prefers beef. It's all made out of meat, so it's all good.......as long as it isn't overcooked.
Posted By: acy Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
By all means, do the Newfoundland hunt. Been there twice. Beautiful country, great people and great hunting. Consider a bear tag if interested. Pretty inexpensive add on to a moose hunt.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by moosemike

Nothing beats grass-fed pronghorn. Never had any that fed on mostly sage.

Yup, only have experience with 3 bucks in NE WY. All three died quickly and were cooled reasonably fast. Like you said, nothing at all beats having to eat them. They were rank and nasty to the max.
wink
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20

We're talking seafood?
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil
Originally Posted by fester

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

#11= yuck
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Originally Posted by las

Good post with a couple thoughts... in the last four years alone I have had a part in butchering of over 20 bull moose and since i killed my first bull in '65 have had a part in a whole bunch of them. I have never seen even the first indication of marbling and have seen some ridiculously fat moose.

I agree totally on carbon at its best being as good as it comes, even from late winter animals.

The biggest problem with musk oxen is the fact if freezes almost immediately after expiring. It is hard to slow that down. Frozen solid it does not ever age properly and is incredibly chewy. Had some from a summer cow and it was awesome.

Since you mentioned sheep... I think they get a lot of credit for the mystique of being sheep. In virtually all blind tests I have done with sheep they seldom make the top two and carbon is often the meat picked when folks are certain they are eating sheep.
teach your voice thingy what caribou is....
smile
Posted By: BWalker Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20
Moose is the best I have had followed by antelope and then elk.
Carbon must be well done.
Posted By: shootem Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/17/20

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

Another simple option. Just cut the breasts in strips and fry like chicken thumbs. The running gear and wings we reserve for either soup with wild rice or noodle soup. Legs are tough as woodpecker lips is you don't simmer them long enough. I just put the legs, thighs, and wings in a pot with some fresh garlic and bay leaf and simmer it bout all day adding water as needed. That's the stock for either the wild rice or noodle version. Got the recipes somewhere around here.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20

Totally and completely wrong.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Since i read that as caribou, rather than carbon, you might be right. But caribou is not good overcooked. It dries out.
Originally Posted by shootem

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

Another simple option. Just cut the breasts in strips and fry like chicken thumbs. The running gear and wings we reserve for either soup with wild rice or noodle soup. Legs are tough as woodpecker lips is you don't simmer them long enough. I just put the legs, thighs, and wings in a pot with some fresh garlic and bay leaf and simmer it bout all day adding water as needed. That's the stock for either the wild rice or noodle version. Got the recipes somewhere around here.

My best results with wild turkeys has been flouring breast chunks and frying for a while. Then finishing off in a roaster or crock pot.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
I smoked a wild turkey breast. There wasn’t any left after the family got into it...

And I love me some elk steaks cooked in an iron skillet with some bacon grease.
Posted By: longarm Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20

Agree! I prefer my carbon in the C-12 state.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

We eat a bunch of bears regularly... cannot imagine comparing black bear to pork.
Originally Posted by longarm

Agree! I prefer my carbon in the C-12 state.

+1
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
I've eaten a lot of wild game, but my favorite by a long shot is dove, battered and deep fried for one minute, then covered in my special recipe of mushroom gravy and simmered real low for about 35 or 40 minutes.

I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

What in the hell kind of pork roast are you eating? Bear taste nothing like pork! I have eaten a lot of bear from a wide range of locations. Never a single one tasted remotely like pork.
A small group of us were butchering a bear. Mostly young men about 20. I stopped cutting and started cooking pepper steak with the back straps. Both sides and then the t-loins disappeared as those boys ate. It was fun to watch! They probably averaged 3 pounds apiece! Some years later they still talk about that meal as a truly great one!
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

What in the hell kind of pork roast are you eating? Bear taste nothing like pork! I have eaten a lot of bear from a wide range of locations. Never a single one tasted remotely like pork.

My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: EdM Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
In 2008 I hunted outside of Toad River BC and we had a tasting of tenderloin, mountain goat, Stone sheep, moose and elk and that is how the six of us rated them. I will give it all a try coming fall.
Originally Posted by EdM
In 2008 I hunted outside of Toad River BC and we had a tasting of tenderloin, mountain goat, Stone sheep, moose and elk and that is how the six of us rated them. I will give it all a try coming fall.

Mountain goat can be mighty good.
Posted By: las Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Yes, I forgot goat, but it is right up near the top. Hey, that might be a pun!

Whoosh...
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Shootem & Sitka deer: Thank you both for your suggestions - notes taken and again appreciated very much.
The Whitetail filet mignon steaks the VarmintWife and I had the other night were prepared "sheep-herder" style (dusted heavily in flour with appropriate salt and pepper then fried in a hot frying pan with butter and virgin olive oil just a couple minutes on each side served with fried potatoes and cottage cheese!) and it was "glorious"!
Every fall I hold a debate with myself over my buying "Whitetail doe tags" of which I think Hunters can purchase 6 or so here in SW Montana as I absolutely LOVE Whitetail steak!
And every fall (for 50+ years now!) I refuse to buy said "Whitetail doe tags" then every spring or summer (for 50+ years now!) when I run out of Deer meat I curse myself for not bagging one or two Whitetail Deer for the freezer and enjoyment throughout the year.
To compound the brevity in my enjoying my own Deer meat the VarmintChildren also LOVE wild game and Deer and Elk meat disappears from my freezers whenever they come, from out of state now, to visit.
When harvested correctly and cared for properly then prepared correctly Whitetail venison is simply SUPERB!
Mouth watering, again already.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Whoosh...

What's that roar?!
wink
Posted By: JTman Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by shootem

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

My best results with wild turkeys has been flouring breast chunks and frying for a while. Then finishing off in a roaster or crock pot.

I always just breast wild turkeys out and cook the breasts in a cooking bag with a little butter. I can't tell the difference between turkey I've killed and store bought.

Smoking turkey is probably the best way I've ever had it but I've never had wild turkey smoked, would have to think it'd be great.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

I wish butter would take away their rank

Woogie boogie, mfers !!!! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
I had Moose stew with cornbread and sweet onions once, damn good it was, but, Kudu and Eland loin on an open fire in an African bush camp has no competition imho.
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

That donkey's going to run up and bite your kneecap off! grin
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
I want to lasso that fugger
I want to lasso that fugger

I've had a rope on those little bassturds, STOUT as hell with granny LOW pullin power, shat I was tired!
Posted By: hanco Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Turkey breast is pretty good cooked with mesquite wood.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Moose steaks got my daughter to start eating wild game !

Just saying.

wink
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
I haven't had moose, but I've had axis, kudu, Dall sheep and elk and I guess the best one was kudu. I was really surprised at how good it was.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
OK, since I'm the OP, I think wild turkey sucks, end of wild turkey discussion..........love shooting them though. 3 with one shot is my personal best.
Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by sourdough44
I rate moose about near the top, slightly better than Elk, which is a lot better than venison.

This...I fondly remember FRESH Moose tenderloins..grilled ..
In AK...after 2 weeks in the bush eating freeeze dried @$$%..
Most likely the finest protein I have ever savored....

Elk is a close second...
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
Moose is excellent!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20
OK, since I'm the OP, I think wild turkey sucks, end of wild turkey discussion..........love shooting them though. 3 with one shot is my personal best.

I’ve caught three with my bare hands.

You don’t hang on to them very long, I can tell you.

P
Posted By: JTman Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/18/20

Hahaha is that Rene running rogue there??
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Big Game: Elk, whitetail, Mule deer, Pronghorn in that order.
Birds: Mallards,Wood ducks, Mourning doves, Pheasant, Turkey, Chukars, Quail, Woodcock, and way behind geese, fish ducks
Small game: Squirrels, cottontails, swamp rabbit, raccoon.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by JTman

Yeah

Those bovines wanted to stomp our deke sets, they came in to a series of calls. Lol

There are real turkeys in that pasture all day long. But noooooooooo they had to be nosey. lmao
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
I told ren, Mrs Opal was gonna beat him with a wooden spoon for running weight offa them cattle. 😃
Posted By: JTman Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by JTman

Yeah

Those bovines wanted to stomp our deke sets, they came in to a series of calls. Lol

There are real turkeys in that pasture all day long. But noooooooooo they had to be nosey. lmao

Haha, that's the way shiet happens!! You guys sure seem to have fun down there! I'm jealous.....
Posted By: johnn Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Dall sheep
Sand hill cranes
Sitka blacktails
Moose
Berry bears
North slope caribou
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by johnn
Dall sheep
Sand hill cranes
Sitka blacktails
Moose
Berry bears
North slope caribou

There is absolutely no suckage on that list!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/19/20
Its worth what you paid...

And I've not had them all but have eaten enough of each I list to like my list. I have never been to Africa or eaten African game.

Dall Sheep
Moose
Elk/Nilgai
Axis

I'm not sure I wouldn't flip the last two, pretty close...

I'll never turn down moose. One of the few I've never had anyone say a single bad thing about even if its straight hamburger... which is often the way we eat it.
Posted By: shootem Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/21/20
Think I posted these recipes last year but I'll do it again.

Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
Particular parts of the turkey used for a batch are one each leg, thigh and wing along with half whatever trimmings can be had from the back. Ingredients as follows:

Wild turkey as stated, with leg and thigh cut to the bone in multiple places to speed cooking.
1 cup each of the following:
Fresh sliced carrots,
Fresh sliced celery,
Frozen English peas,
Frozen whole kernel corn,
Dry wild rice or blend.

Half a small to medium sweet onion, chopped,
Half a head of garlic smashed, bashed, or chopped
Half teaspoon +/- of black pepper as desired,
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of salt also as desired,
2 or 3 large bay leaves,
a tablespoon or two of Worcestershire.

Place turkey pieces in a large pot with lid and cover well with water. Add bay leaves along with some powdered garlic for aroma. I like to add a good surface sprinkle of meat tenderizer at this point to aid in separating meat from bone as later required. Cook at an energetic simmer for around 4 hours. Additional water will need to be added to keep meat submerged as it cooks. After allotted cooking time remove turkey from pot and set aside to cool. Add wild rice and an additional 2 cups water to stock along with the prepared garlic, salt, and black pepper. The wild rice blend I used called for a cooking time of 45 minutes. I set my timer for 30. While rice cooks and after meat cools a bit, remove meat from bones, tendons, and excess connective tissue, and cut into desired sized pieces. After 30 minutes cook time for the rice add celery and onion and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add carrots and simmer an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Add de-boned meat and whatever additional water is needed for desired broth level and bring to roiling boil for a minute or two. Add peas, corn, and Worcestershire, stir, and remove from heat. Sample the broth and add seasoning if desired. Replace cover and let stand 10 minutes or so if you can. It's now ready to eat and will thicken just a bit as it stands.

Dad’s Chicken Soup
“To heal the sick, strengthen the weak and fortify the strong.”

1 chicken cut into pieces easy to boil. Remove skin but leave some fat.
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups frozen English peas
1 cup corn
1 small/medium onion diced or sliced
1 head of garlic crushed or equivalent
8 oz. egg noodles
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 ½ tablespoon salt
3 large bay leaves maybe more
Place chicken pieces and bay leaves in strainer tub of large spaghetti pot and cover well with water. Sprinkle with garlic powder or add some crushed garlic for aroma. Cook about 35 minutes or until fork tender. Remove strainer tub with chicken and set aside to cool. Make sure bay leaves are left in the broth. When chicken cools debone and cut meat into desired size. Add onion and remainder of garlic to broth, bring to boil and cook 5 to 10 minutes. Add carrots and celery to broth, bring to low boil and cook 5 minutes. Add noodles and cook 8 minutes. Add chicken, peas and corn, add water to fill remainder of pot, return to boil and turn off heat. Let sit half an hour or so if you can. Enjoy and share with the love of Jesus.

If you're sick with some kind of kroop that keeps you snorting and coughing and just feeling bad, chicken soup is one of the best feel good foods I can think of. In this recipe just substitute plus or minus pound for pound the turkey parts and chicken. Daughter has always called it Dad's chicken soup thus the name. Good eatin' to all y'all.
Posted By: OAM Re: Wild Game Taste Test - 02/21/20
Bull moose in late rut can be gamey, especially when its an older bull. I love moose and always have. There is alot of meat on a moose so once he is face down your stuck eating him for months. Thats why I tend to pass on big old gnarley bulls. But a young bull or cow thats killed quickly is second only to caribou in my opinion.
© 24hourcampfire