O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
An easy answer, the bible is a collection of books written by man, not God, and compiled by man, not God, in order to meet the needs of the people in power, Constantine, et al, as a way of controlling the masses, providing a value system and identity, ie, being a Christian.

Of course, the Jews disagreed. Jesus was not their promised Messiah, the Muslims have their own prophet... to mention a few problems with faith.

When is an answer not an answer?

Did you fail to understand what I said? It appears that way.

Oh no.
I am not saying you are not citing valid points
Perhaps even undeniable truths....

I am just not certain it is an answer. Not a "why" if you will ..

But I wasn't going to put additional untyped words into your response.
I might suggest that that just because you don't necessarily agree with the promulgators of the story, doesn't mean that you cannot derive any enjoyment nor value from the story.

Just my take..

The OP question was - why are you not a Christian - and I gave an outline of the reasons why the bible and its claims are problematic.

If you don't agree with what I said, you should address the outlined reasons instead of dismissing it with a flippant comment.

If you’ve not read Mark Taylor’s “The History of The Bible “, pick up a copy. You’d probably enjoy it.

OT,

Mark Taylor's a common name.

This this the Mark Taylor you are talking about?

https://www.bibleconcepts.com/erics...y-others/prophetic-words-by-mark-taylor/

“Mark Taylor, a retired fireman from Florida began to receive messages supernaturally from God in 2011. The first one was that Donald Trump would be raised by God to become President of the United States. The prophecy detailed as to why God was going to do that. Since then, Mark has received about a dozen more prophetic words, many of which have begun to unfold on target. Examples are that the USA would become energy independent, the elimination of ISIS, and the replacement of 5 Supreme Court Justices. We have posted his prophecies here with his name and a few brief comments in brackets to aid in understanding the prophecies. He has also co-authored a book with Mary Colbert called, “The Trump Prophecies”, which details the background of all of his messages up to the date of publication. It is a very encouraging “must read” to help get a good grasp on what God is doing at this time. It is very different than the traditional religious gloom & doom that we’ve been taught.”

No, Sniper, I don’t think that’s him.

Btw, I have to say that I believe there’s a couple of categories of non believers, those being absolute atheist and those who are yet to believe BUT are truly searching for answers.

Those that are searching for proofs and are the ‘Questioners’ of most all things concerned with faith are the ones who break new ground and give others cause for introspection of their own beliefs. For lack of a better description, that’s the category that I place you in and I have an abiding respect for those like you. They study, they are well read and they make their cases in a clear, concise and understandable fashion . They are also very hard to refute. Again, I respect those folks and consider myself as having learned from them. Human nature and curiosity is a marvelous thing by my reckoning.

Anyhow, Sniper, that’s just my.02 cents on the matter.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
An easy answer, the bible is a collection of books written by man, not God, and compiled by man, not God, in order to meet the needs of the people in power, Constantine, et al, as a way of controlling the masses, providing a value system and identity, ie, being a Christian.

Of course, the Jews disagreed. Jesus was not their promised Messiah, the Muslims have their own prophet... to mention a few problems with faith.

When is an answer not an answer?

Did you fail to understand what I said? It appears that way.

Oh no.
I am not saying you are not citing valid points
Perhaps even undeniable truths....

I am just not certain it is an answer. Not a "why" if you will ..

But I wasn't going to put additional untyped words into your response.
I might suggest that that just because you don't necessarily agree with the promulgators of the story, doesn't mean that you cannot derive any enjoyment nor value from the story.

Just my take..

The OP question was - why are you not a Christian - and I gave an outline of the reasons why the bible and its claims are problematic.

If you don't agree with what I said, you should address the outlined reasons instead of dismissing it with a flippant comment.

If you’ve not read Mark Taylor’s “The History of The Bible “, pick up a copy. You’d probably enjoy it.

OT,

Mark Taylor's a common name.

This this the Mark Taylor you are talking about?

https://www.bibleconcepts.com/erics...y-others/prophetic-words-by-mark-taylor/

“Mark Taylor, a retired fireman from Florida began to receive messages supernaturally from God in 2011. The first one was that Donald Trump would be raised by God to become President of the United States. The prophecy detailed as to why God was going to do that. Since then, Mark has received about a dozen more prophetic words, many of which have begun to unfold on target. Examples are that the USA would become energy independent, the elimination of ISIS, and the replacement of 5 Supreme Court Justices. We have posted his prophecies here with his name and a few brief comments in brackets to aid in understanding the prophecies. He has also co-authored a book with Mary Colbert called, “The Trump Prophecies”, which details the background of all of his messages up to the date of publication. It is a very encouraging “must read” to help get a good grasp on what God is doing at this time. It is very different than the traditional religious gloom & doom that we’ve been taught.”

No, Sniper, I don’t think that’s him.

Btw, I have to say that I believe there’s a couple of categories of non believers, those being absolute atheist and those who are yet to believe BUT are truly searching for answers.

Those that are searching for proofs and are the ‘Questioners’ of most all things concerned with faith are the ones who break new ground and give others cause for introspection of their own beliefs. For lack of a better description, that’s the category that I place you in and I have an abiding respect for those like you. They study, they are well read and they make their cases in a clear, concise and understandable fashion . They are also very hard to refute. Again, I respect those folks and consider myself as having learned from them. Human nature and curiosity is a marvelous thing by my reckoning.

Anyhow, Sniper, that’s just my.02 cents on the matter.

Thanks OT.

I couldn't find the book you described on Amazon. They guy above was the most references on Amazon. I did locate a different Mark Taylor with a PHD in a related field with about 20 publications, but nothing matching your description.

Thanks again.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He is a PhD and has published works. He leans towards the Anglican side of the equation.

My book is out there somewhere among friends and unknowns. My name and address are in it so it might show up someday.

I think that the proper title is:
The History of The Bible

The interesting parts for me were the sequential developments of it and the modifications procedures to allow for manuscripts later discovered or for the better understood meanings of specific words that were later defined differently according to later manuscripts, etc.

Meantime, You stay well and press on with the search.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Lol.. I dont need to read a book or join a team to have values or ethics, its basic human nature. Specifically when the overwhelming evidence shows the over all Christian religion is riddled with horrible ethics and values.

Heres what I think. If I live a good, honest and productive life with only displaying 1/2 the hate and bigotry the average intolerant Christian does, God will give me a cut the line pass to heaven if there is such a place.

My Uncle In-Law was a pastor in the Methodist Church for 30+ years. The group his area used to manage their retirement accounts, mismanaged the funds and he was left hanging. Theres a man that served “god” for his entire career, and got bent over backwards. I guess him needing to keep working is all part of gods plan hahahaha...

Snake oil and fools gold. Theres always a catch with whatever someones selling.... and theres a lot of gullible buyers in this world.

Your first sentence, you couldn’t possibly be more wrong than that.

What specific proof do you offer to your first sentence beyond mere conjecture ?

How about it Ejp1234 ?

Your support group here should be able to lend you some amount of assistance beyond that of your Webster’s Dictionary that you pack around with you.

Hint:
Pick up a copy of Mr. Rogets Thesaurus and keep it with you too. Might even have a calming effect on those heavy emotions that you exhibit so well and frequently.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People have been searching for gods for a long, long time.... believing in the existence of countless numbers of them along the way, each generation of believers convinced that their own beliefs are true. That is the truth. I hope it's not too harsh.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DBT
People have been searching for gods for a long, long time.... believing in the existence of countless numbers of them along the way, each generation of believers convinced that their own beliefs are true. That is the truth. I hope it's not too harsh.

Yet one remains and ever shall til the end of time.

What started as a small brotherhood in Judea and then went on to Greece to become a philosophy , later moved on to become an Institution,,,,,and so it remains, warts, charlatans and all.

Chr*stianity is here to stay, like it or not.

That is the Truth. I hope it’s not too harsh.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

What started as a small brotherhood in Judea and then went on to Greece to become a philosophy , later moved on to become an Institution,,,,,and so it remains, warts, charlatans and all.

Each and every believer confirms their conviction by stating what they believe, this alone doesn't prove that what they believe is true, is in fact true, no matter how sincere the conviction.

That takes objective evidence, a body of information that anyone can access and evaluate and draw a similar conclusion.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Each and every believer confirms their conviction by stating what they believe, this alone doesn't prove that what they believe is true, is in fact true, no matter how sincere the conviction.

That takes objective evidence, a body of information that anyone can access and evaluate and draw a similar conclusion.

Be that as it may, what I wrote is fact .

You are, of course, quite free to draw your own conclusions and believe what you will.

I wish you well in your search.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You are, of course, quite free to draw your own conclusions and believe what you will.

Believe what you like, it doesn't matter as long as it harms no one....however, facts are established with evidence, which is something accessible to all who care to look.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Believe what you like, it doesn't matter as long as it harms no one....however, facts are established with evidence, which is something accessible to all who care to look.

The big difference being that your way never helped anyone.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any sensible Christian in need would prefer
a non-Christian life saving surgeon over just
A bunch of faith/prayers from a church group.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by texasbatman
The above function is devine for ignoring the ignorant.

This is priceless from a Christian in a god thread.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
According to Wikipedia Christianity is on the decline and Islam is on the rise

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

Except this a non-God thread.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

Except this a non-God thread.

Allegedly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allegedly your God exists, at least in the
Imagination of men.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Starman
Allegedly your God exists, at least in the
Imagination of men.

I think your post is misdirected.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only misdirected if you don't believe in any one
of many Gods to chose from.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

If that is the truth what criteria did you use to rule all the other gods out? This should be an easy question, so how about actually answering it?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

The big difference being that your way never helped anyone.

What do you mean by that? More detail please.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.