Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Your individual results may vary! LOL! I still tend to be a little heavy handed when wielding a blade.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Your individual results may vary! LOL! I still tend to be a little heavy handed when wielding a blade.

I have had good luck sharpening the so called disposable blades. Best thing is to replace them before they are really dinged up. If you can see flat spots with bright light and reading glasses then they need to be stoned, use a hard stone to see how it works. If you start with a soft or coarse stone you will be starting over increasing the difficulty. Any of the hard stones over 2,000 grit should work and 10,000 is not too fine if it is only a touch up.

If you catch them before major edge damage then just stropping can be enough to re-align the blade and bring back a scalpel type edge. I had lots of practice sharpening inserts for broad heads, lost a lot of blood on the learning curve.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/26/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a lot of info on the intermojet.

http://www.ceaserlake.com/moose-hunt-equipment-list

https://sashunts.com/moose-hunt-gear-list/ This is Saskatchewan so different terrain

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...12628712/newfoundland-moose-hunting-gear

http://www.nfbiggame.com/whattobring.htm

https://www.tuckamorelodge.com/index.php/about/what-to-bring

Here is enough to get your started, they have many similar recommendations which helps. Also almost all recommend knee high boots instead of hip boots like in Alaska, this is good they are easier to walk in.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks guys, good stuff. Yes, the guide will probably do most of the knife work, but I'll have an Outdoor Edge and Puma folder there to help out.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Is 65* and overcast with no rain too much to ask for.....?????

Subtract 20-30 degrees from that to get them on their feet to feed. Warm weather is your mortal enemy. You can always put on more/different clothing to stay warm, but, warm weather will have Moose lazing the day away somewhere you can't see/find them. 65 degrees humping bogs in knee-boots/hippers and rain gear will make you miserably sweaty and hot. 35-45 degrees and you'll be able to pace yourself for warmth and not get soaked from the inside-out by your own sweat.

Absolutely. I don't want anything to do with Moose hunting in warm weather. I like it to be in the 20's.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I used rubber boots that I got from Gander Mountain on my Newfoundland moose hunt, as long as their comfortable (for you, not what feels good for anyone else) you should be fine. I hunted pretty much everyday in rain pants, I took a heavy Cabelas coat for early in the morning when it was cold, but usually either just put it in my pack and exchanged it for a light rain coat or just wore whatever sweat shirt I had on. One day it got cold enough to put some Cabela’s thermals on underneath (the high was in the low 20’s with 25 mph winds all day), but other than that, I was comfortable the entire trip like I just described.

However, I don’t get too cold- I was hunting with a guy from GA and the poor guy wore every ounce of clothing he brought with him. It was 85 in Atlanta when he left the airport and he just wasn’t accustomed to cold weather, so your mileage may vary. Don’t be afraid to pack some heavier clothing than what’s been suggested, I’m just saying because I felt bad for the fellow from GA, but he was a trooper and ended up killing a great bull on the last day.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OAM
Order a pair of insulated non steeltoe xtratuf boots. They will become your new favorite boot anytime its wet. Very comfortable. A good shell like sitka and a fleece base layer. A small pack that stays tight to your back. Rope and game bags. A small sharp knife and a couple razor blades. A small bone saw or hatchet. I sometime bring a cheap wire and loop saw because the come in really handy seperating joints and weigh about 10 grams. Use the rope to rig up the quarters to carry them. I would even consider ditching the optics. The guide will have them and know what a legal bull is. I always carry cotton balls with some Vaseline rolled up tight in a ziplock for fire starter. An extra pair of socks. A really small tarp like 5x6'. I like neoprene gloves. I know it sounds like alot but its really not. Pack as LIGHT as possible. Ive carried countless quarters and cursed myself for being 10 pounds overweight. I never carry a pack frame because they are so bulky. I'm always jumping across creeks and weaving through alders. Light and tight.
Good luck

https://www.xtratuf.com/collections/men/products/mens-15-in-legacy-boot-copper-tan

As much as I love my Xtratuf's for any real walking forget it. Order a pair of La Chameau's, they are pricey but worth every penny. A 100% better walking boot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was thinking of bringing breathable stocking foot waders and light hiking boots as back up to my rubber boots. I figured they would offer higher protection and might even walk better than the rubber boots.

Any one try something like this? I really have no experience with hip waders. I see some folks roll the hip waders down to the knees when walking on hard ground.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by moosemike
Is 65* and overcast with no rain too much to ask for.....?????

Subtract 20-30 degrees from that to get them on their feet to feed. Warm weather is your mortal enemy. You can always put on more/different clothing to stay warm, but, warm weather will have Moose lazing the day away somewhere you can't see/find them. 65 degrees humping bogs in knee-boots/hippers and rain gear will make you miserably sweaty and hot. 35-45 degrees and you'll be able to pace yourself for warmth and not get soaked from the inside-out by your own sweat.

Absolutely. I don't want anything to do with Moose hunting in warm weather. I like it to be in the 20's.

The only unsuccessful moose hunt I have been on was on a week where it was unseasonably warm, give me the cool/cold any time. I will second that 35-45 as perfect temp. cool enough you can walk, not so cold you suffer.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, I wish I was going!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been on 5 Moose hunts. Cold and or rainy weather has always produced good results. When the weather is mild they disappear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the process of booking a NF moose hunt with Mountain Top Outfitters for this fall . I don't know diddly squat about moose hunting even though I've been big game hunting for almost 40 years now. I obviously know the basics.....rifle, bullets, optics, etc that are necessary, but what about the rest of the gear? I live in the desert of West Texas, so know virtually nothing about hunting in wet, boggy climates. What do you experienced guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

Newfoundland varies a lot - You may be in some boggy areas as we were last time, but the last time and the time before we spent a lot of time climbing rocky hills. It's a bit different than where I've seen moose in Alaska. I felt no need for hip boots in either hunt and the Cabelas rubber bottomed neoprene top boots worked great. I tried several brands before I bought these as they all seem to fit a little different. I suspect they're all fine, just buy whatever fits as there's a bit of walking to do. I went with uninsulated and they're fine. Just add socks.

Pants-wise I've been wearing these for several years and been really happy with them - https://www.firstlite.com/products/obsidian-merino-pants Warm but breathable and if they get wet dry quickly.

Jacket-wise I went with a Bass Pro camo shell - ( this one is similar https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/frogg-toggs-toadrage-rain-jacket-for-men) and with some medium weight poly under it was fine.

Gloves - have an extra pair in your pack - they will get wet. I wore a waterproof pair when raining and an old pair of Nomex flight gloves when walking or dry (they make great hunting gloves)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
OK, my "is 65* and overcast" comment was tongue in cheek. Great replies guys.

I'm wondering if a guy could wear waterproof hunting boots and gaiters instead of knee high rubber boots? I've never worn gaiters either, BTW. If I go the rubber boot way, I can find nothing bad about the LaCross Alphaburley 800g boot ?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK, my "is 65* and overcast" comment was tongue in cheek. Great replies guys.

I'm wondering if a guy could wear waterproof hunting boots and gaiters instead of knee high rubber boots? I've never worn gaiters either, BTW. If I go the rubber boot way, I can find nothing bad about the LaCross Alphaburley 800g boot ?

I replaced some extra tuffs with lacrosse and been happy with them. Just as comfortable and slightly taller by a couple inches. Usually put some felt insoles in them and the neoprene lined ones are good to 10 below for me. Just checked and i have the burly, so cant speak for the alpha burley. I did manage to tear off both of the little straps on top. Still dont leak!

Last edited by johnn; 02/27/20.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The LaCross Burley 600's are what we use. A little warm for our NF hunt, but work well here in PA most winters.
They were easily high enough for the places we walked around in NF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
The LaCross Burley 600's are what we use. A little warm for our NF hunt, but work well here in PA most winters.
They were easily high enough for the places we walked around in NF.

Yeah when I recommended 1,000 gram boots I wasn't thinking that NF is an earlier season than I'm used to. I usually hunt them late October. 600 grams would be fine.

Last edited by moosemike; 02/27/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One item that is not very important, is whatever knife you take along. The Newfie guides take it as a point of pride in performing all that sort of work, and so far, the guides I hunted with, were really good at it.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by fishdog52
One item that is not very important, is whatever knife you take along. The Newfie guides take it as a point of pride in performing all that sort of work, and so far, the guides I hunted with, were really good at it.

In AB after pics I dig out my knives and tell the guide to grab a leg. He says he'll gut the moose. I told him I've gutted LOTS of deer and better than a dozen elk, no big deal. He then very pointedly told me that was part of his job that I'd paid for. So I stepped off, grabbed a leg and let him go to work. Took about 30Sec of watching until I request he use my knife as his wasn't as sharp as I like mine to be. He obliged and all went well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fishdog52

In AB after pics I dig out my knives and tell the guide to grab a leg. He says he'll gut the moose. I told him I've gutted LOTS of deer and better than a dozen elk, no big deal. He then very pointedly told me that was part of his job that I'd paid for. So I stepped off, grabbed a leg and let him go to work. Took about 30Sec of watching until I request he use my knife as his wasn't as sharp as I like mine to be. He obliged and all went well.

His probably started out sharp. I have to sharpen my knife in the middle of field dressing a Moose. They start dulling a blade quick.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
No experience moose hunting, I hunt a lot of Adirondack swamps I hate muck boots I bought them think they would be the ticket for the swamps the durability sucks on them. These boots here are catching on fast in my area. I guess the two guys that created muck had a falling out one guy left and started his own company. these boots are warmer, have better ankle support and in my opinion warmer. They have a rubberized coating 3/4 of the way up the boot for added protection and waterproofing. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.