Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jcon72
So maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the niche use for a fixed-power 6x scope?

I have hunted fixed 6X scopes for most of my hunting career, 50 years. I sight them in 2.5 inches high at 100 yards & hunt them reliably out to 400 yards. Has worked quite well for me. I have variables because the price was right, all of which are set on 6X and never move. I have never found myself in want of more power.

For shots out to 600 yards I have two rifles topped with turret scopes.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by mathman
I look at what I want to hit, shoulder the rifle, and the 6x scope is pretty much right on it.
You should put a 6x scope on your grouse gun and get back to me on how effective you found it. I bet you wouldn't find many 6x scopes on the guns of the guys running deer with dogs down South and I know you won't find them on the rifles of the guys driving deer in the cedar swamps and regenerating clear cuts here.

Oh my gosh. I am rolling on the floor here.

You would not believe how many blue grouse I have killed with that aforementioned 30-06 and Weaver V7. It might as well have been a straight 7 because it never got turned down. Put the crosshair on the neck and pull the trigger.
I'm talking ruffed grouse on the wing idiot. Now I'll roll on the floor for awhile. You should put down the bong and get rid of that can of paint chips.

Your grouse gun for wing shooting is a scoped rifle?
No and that's the point. Shooting running deer in heavy cover can be akin to shooting grouse on the wing. I guarantee you a 1 or 2x scope is far more effective than a 6x scope for such endeavors. I know this to be true because I've done it many times with various rifles and scopes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Turret on a 3x Big Bore is the cat's azzz for those longer close shots.... grin

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 02/27/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
I look at what I want to hit, shoulder the rifle, and the 6x scope is pretty much right on it.
You should put a 6x scope on your grouse gun and get back to me on how effective you found it. I bet you wouldn't find many 6x scopes on the guns of the guys running deer with dogs down South and I know you won't find them on the rifles of the guys driving deer in the cedar swamps and regenerating clear cuts here.

You would not believe how many blue grouse I have killed with that aforementioned 30-06 and Weaver V7. It might as well have been a straight 7 because it never got turned down. Put the crosshair on the neck and pull the trigger.
I'm talking ruffed grouse on the wing idiot. Now I'll roll on the floor for awhile. You should put down the bong and get rid of that can of paint chips.

By mistake, I once sent two punkin balls after one. Didn’t work out, and I’m kinda certain a scope wouldn’t have helped.
I sent a charge of 00 buck after one by mistake one time. Worked out well for the grouse.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You had a better chance of success than I with punkin balls....along with a better chance of eating anything if successful....

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No and that's the point. Shooting running deer in heavy cover can be akin to shooting grouse on the wing. I guarantee you a 1 or 2x scope is far more effective than a 6x scope for such endeavors. I know this to be true because I've done it many times with various rifles and scopes.

You lost me when you called Idaho an idiot and told him to put down the bong. You know, when everyone else was talking about scoped rifles and you said you were talking about ruffed grouse on the wing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

By mistake, I once sent two punkin balls after one. Didn’t work out, and I’m kinda certain a scope wouldn’t have helped.

I've potted a few on the ground with deer rifles. You've gotta aim for the head.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You lost me when you called Idaho an idiot and told him to put down the bong. You know, when everyone else was talking about scoped rifles and you said you were talking about ruffed grouse on the wing.
I'm not surprised. You obviously ain't too bright.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've potted a few on the ground with deer rifles. You've gotta aim for the head.

I knew it, I knew it!!!!

I thought with all those well composed slams on me that perhaps you were at least an ethical upland hunter....But NO, (a negative response) (not to be mistaken for know) you are a heathen in the uplands!!!!

I just knew (could be confused with KNOW) it.....

Addition: Bear (Not the animal Bear, that i referred to previously. He has NOTHING to do with this.) with me, I'm still trying to get a handle on this being sure what I mean (to MYSELF only) writing....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jcon72
So maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the niche use for a fixed-power 6x scope? I totally get why someone would want a fixed 3x or 4x for hunting purposes but a 6x just seems odd to me. Too powerful for close shots, yet easily surpassed by a decent variable power for longer shots. What gives?

Shot a mature WT Buck at 15 yds with a 6x...........Put the chest in the FOV, 3 leaps, down for the count.......

How close are you shooting?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Think you could have pulled it off if he was an immature WT Buck???? He should have been smaller....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'm not surprised. You obviously ain't too bright.

You're the one who brought up a "grouse gun" in a thread about rifle scopes, chief. But it's everyone else who either isn't too bright or needs to put down the bong. Got it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I knew it, I knew it!!!!

I thought with all those well composed slams on me that perhaps you were at least an ethical upland hunter....But NO, (a negative response) (not to be mistaken for know) you are a heathen in the uplands!!!!

Addition: Bear (Not the animal Bear, that i referred to previously. He has NOTHING to do with this.) with me, I'm still trying to get a handle on this being sure what I mean (to MYSELF only) writing....

Well, I don't go grouse hunting with a deer rifle, but if I'm walking through the woods and I get a chance to add one to the pot, I go for it. I will admit, I've fished for trout with worms too. Put that in your Meerschaum and smoke it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Uncle Herman killed a horse with a knife....Since it happened at spitting distance, I just thought I would throw that in....

Addition: Took awhile for the horse to die, but die it did....Of course Unc was having his own issues at the time. But he eventually came out on the bright side....

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KISS theory for me. Have used both the Leupold 6x36 and 6x42 with LR duplex. Marks line up nicely with my 270's. Both boys were started with 6's, simply to keep it simple.
I have never felt handicapped using a straight 6. From the plains of western SD, to the more timbered Black Hills.

It may be different if I hunted the thick nasty stuff down south. But if I would go on such a trip, I would probably have a variable on the rifle anyway.

When I hunt with my variables, they are typically set on 5-6 power. I can then change up or down as needed.
I have never been much of a fan or 3x or less, although I have some variable that go that low.

I had a 1-6 on my 404 Jeffery when I shot my Cape Buffalo, and it was set on 4.5. Shot was 40 yards and I had no problems.

Last edited by CRS; 02/27/20.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I knew it, I knew it!!!!

Well, I don't go grouse hunting with a deer rifle, but if I'm walking through the woods and I get a chance to add one to the pot, I go for it. I will admit, I've fished for trout with worms too. Put that in your Meerschaum and smoke it.

How did you know that I prefer a pipe while walking around in my LaChameau's? Especially when in the mood to wear tweeds. However, the Brits frown on my straight billed cap....Screw em....I'll wear what pleases me....

Oops forgot...🖕🖕🖕

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's not at all hard to shoot them at close range with higher X's if they're standing still. Not even hard if they're running away from you and there's no intervening trees/bushes/brush. The problem comes when it's a crossing or angling shot and because of obstructions you can't shoot as soon as the rifle hit's your shoulder. Then the trees at 8,10 and 20 feet look huge through the too high magnification as you swing with the deer looking for an opening through which to send a bullet and suddenly it appears as if you're trying to kill that running buck at 30 yards while shooting through a picket fence 5 feet in front of you. Doesn't matter that you have both eyes open, the magnification fuucks with the depth perception through your aiming eye anyway. I can say without reservation and through much experience that it's many times easier to make that shot with a 1x scope than a 6x scope. Probably 6x easier actually.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You're the one who brought up a "grouse gun" in a thread about rifle scopes, chief. But it's everyone else who either isn't too bright or needs to put down the bong. Got it.
No it's your stupid ass that couldn't keep up with the conversation nor comprehend the reason I said to try putting a 6x scope on your grouse gun. As usual you're just a great big stupid ass hole who should learn to STFU when you don't know WTF you're talking about .

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Won't disagree and one of the reasons these guys use flash dots....Still, a will practiced shot can make do with a 6x....

And most of us here would be rookies compared to these boys..... laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man I love that video ! Would love to give that a try sometime. Some of the footage reminds me of some of our deer drives. If I were ever to go, I'd not be taking a rifle with a 6x scope.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.