Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't think oldelkhumper is a rookie bullshytter. He seems very experienced but just not very good at it. Kind of like with his shooting skills. Now Beaver10 is a real pro in the bullshyt arena. You can tell by those beady little, close set, weasel eyes he has.

Laffin...Blacky, you know I love you...But, putting my picture on the ceiling above your bed for your spank bank material isn’t necessary.

🖕🏾🦄😬😎
Good one. At least you're a funny bullshytter, I'll give you that !

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Blackheart: Gentlemen, gentlemen lets not get out of hand - I am trying to learn something here and not observe an insult fest - I am still trying to see/hear a rational, reasoned, reason to "give up" my variable power Hunting scopes (on my arsenal of Varmint and big game Rifles!)!
To date I have not read a single reason to switch!
Oh well as with so many threads here reason and rationality give way to insults, name calling and immature burp-ups.
Last scope I mounted on a new Rifle (just this week in fact!) was/is a 4 to 16 power variable type - chose this over both a fixed power 4x and two fixed power 6x scopes I have on hand.
To answer the OP question (whats the draw for 6x fixed power?) - NONE!
There are just to many reliable and more useful variable scopes out there today.
Like someone said above - it's NOT 1962 anymore.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Almost agree and not a fan of powerful variables. Most of my stuff is 10x or 12x on the top end. I usually have them set to 6x when hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the record...I’ve always hedged my bet that Blacky can shoot, and shoot well...

Now, if I was ever to find myself hunting alongside Mr. Deliverance and he started whiff’n away on easy off hand shots...I’d have to beat him to death with the buttstock of his lever action for making me look bad...😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
For the record...I’ve always hedged my bet that Blacky can shoot, and shoot well...

Now, if I was ever to find myself hunting alongside Mr. Deliverance and he started whiff’n away on easy off hand shots...I’d have to beat him to death with the buttstock of his lever action for making me look bad...😬😎
On the flip side I'm sure you and many others here would make me look bad at extended range. Shorter range, off hand there are a few who can out shoot me. But most can't.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackheart: Gentlemen, gentlemen lets not get out of hand - I am trying to learn something here and not observe an insult fest - I am still trying to see/hear a rational, reasoned, reason to "give up" my variable power Hunting scopes (on my arsenal of Varmint and big game Rifles!)!
Oh well as with so many threads here reason and rationality give way to insults, name calling and immature burp-ups.
Last scope I mounted on a new Rifle (just this week in fact!) was/is a 4 to 16 power variable type - chose this over both a fixed power 4x and two fixed power 6x scopes I have on hand.
There are just to many reliable and more useful variable scopes out there today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well, if that video didn’t show you the possible rational and reasoned application of a low powered, fixed lightweight scope then nothing will.

Forget they are using aim points and place them in the Northwoods stillhunting. What do you think they would most likely choose? Your fat beluga 4x16 variable or perhaps something LW and fixed with a fat reticle?

Those Benoit fellows also ended up with Trijicon scopes. Wonder why they are not using your Leupold 4x16?
Answer, it wouldn’t be the best scope for the type of work they do.

Last edited by battue; 02/27/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well, if that video didn’t show you the possible rational and reasoned application of a low powered, fixed lightweight scope then nothing will.

Forget they are using aim points and place them in the Northwoods stillhunting. What do you think they would most likely choose? Your fat beluga 4x16 variable or perhaps something LW and fixed with a fat reticle?

I really liked the old Weaver k 1.5 and k 2.5's with post and crosshair on my woods guns. My 1- 4x20 VX-11 is just about perfect for the drives and still hunting I do but would be even better with a bit bolder reticle. A 4-16x anything would be close to useless to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We all have our likes and dislikes. I tend to like what the people who are experts at a given task have proven to be the best equipment for job.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
We all have our likes and dislikes. I tend to like what the people who are experts at a given task have proven to be the best equipment for job.
Any idea what the magnification range is on those Trijicons the Benoits use ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These threads that turn into who’s full of shît running a gun are always fun...Some members here are beyond compare in their shooting skills - just amazing men with a rifle or shotgun...Who doesn’t appreciate hunting with a guy or group of pards that can shoot? Not many of us.

Sometimes it’s easy to determine who’s got the goods and who doesn’t...But, then there’s some members who are sneakers, that could go either way...Maybe good with a weapon, maybe not.

Most of us are excellent in a certain shooting style and situation based solely on our hunting environment we grew up with. Most of us didn’t start out as young hunters traveling the USA gaining different shooting skills that are required to be successful in a certain geographical area...The latter typically came later in our lives as time, money, and opportunity presented itself.

Personally, having had the opportunity to hunt in several states with different hunting environments presented challenges for me, I had to adapt to fill my tags...

I believe it’s much easier to take a skilled hunter who’s spent most of his hunting life in thickets and dense growth plantations where hitting game on the move is the norm “Not talking about whacking an animal at a feeder” and bringing them into the vast open spaces of the West where a shot can go north of 750 yards, and he’ll probably do alright, if his gear is up to the task.

The reverse isn’t as easy, in my experience. Being a Western hunter, and facing quick shots on game moving through dense surroundings is, and was challenging...I knew my limitations.

With that said, I’ve been with old dogs who reeked of whiskey in the morning. Grumpy, broken bodied, unimpressive sorts who wanted-needed whiskey in their coffee before loading up in the truck to hunt. They’d throw on a lightweight rain jacket covering their wool shirt and step out into a downpour of coastal rain and high wind...Looking to cut tracks on elk, then heading down into the timber. Minutes, hours later....Boom...Sometimes boom, wait, boom, wait, boom...Dead bull with all rounds accounted for inside the bull with only ever an occasional loss of a shoulder...

Old, broken dudes are never discounted in my eyes hunting...I’ve seen them change by simply putting a rifle or shotgun in their hands.

😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thought about that when I was typing. Don’t know, however I do know that some are a relatively trim scope with an excellent highly obvious aiming point for quick use. I hunt with the guy who sent the Rabbit pic and he uses one and it is not all that huge. At least the one he has isn’t. He is better than good when things are happening quick.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And I have a large appreciation for those that consistently connect at 700. And also acknowledge there is a reason they choose gear I have little need for.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
And then there are guys who really aren't good shots at all who kill game every year anyway. My long time hunting partner is one of those. Decidedly mediocre shot but he kills multiple deer every year like clockwork because he's an exceptional hunter. Another guy that lives on top of the mountain across the valley from me is the same way. I've shot with him on the range and his marksmanship skills are nothing to brag on. Go look at the antlers in his house and barn and you'll be amazed. The guy is a far gone deer hunting lunatic, has never understood the meaning of bag limits too well and has killed well over 200 bucks here in 40 some seasons of hunting. Both are better, more successful deer hunters than many of the "experts" who are top tier riflemen who you read about in magazines or on the innanet. They just don't get, seek or want the fame and notoriety for various reasons so nobody knows about them ceptin a few locals who've seen their results.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And I have a large appreciation for those that consistently connect at 700. And also acknowledge there is a reason they choose gear I have little need for.

You mean everyone doesn't have a crew of six helpers that carry spotting scopes, rangefinders and wind indicators? Oh and locate game, I forgot that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

In the video, did some notice they were not going light on the firepower?...

Looked like about .30 caliber bore. But the shell kinda resembled a Swede.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DollarShort

30-06 is pretty popular over there. They are hitting most of these boars high shoulder which makes it even more amazing. I am loving those SAUER 404 rifles but seriously doubt I would put an aim point on it though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We all want to be good. Af far as shotguns, I’ve had the frequent opportunity to hang around some of the best. Enough to know, how mediocre I am.

Another observation, is it is rare for the best of the best to be spending much time on the internet arguing about what they know or what another doesn’t. Something for us all there?😀

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

30-06 is pretty popular over there. They are hitting most of these boars high shoulder which makes it even more amazing. I am loving those SAUER 404 rifles but seriously doubt I would put an aim point on it though.

I thought I saw a 7mm Mag being used. Will go back and look later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all want to be good. Af far as shotguns, I’ve had the frequent opportunity to hang around some of the best. Enough to know, how mediocre I am.

Another observation, is it is rare for the best of the best to be spending much time on the internet arguing about what they know or what another doesn’t. Something for us all there?😀

Laffin...Tru-dat.

I making ammo right now because I shoot and miss a lot. I always feel better knowing a bucket of ammo is with me. Seeennnnd it! 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I thought I saw a 7mm Mag being used. Will go back and look later.

I think they are popular there as well. Perfect shot placement on a beast running 35 mph thru the woods is pretty damn impressive.

Of course an off day of hunting there would involve at least 50 boar if not more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Neither of the exceptionally skilled hunters I told of in my previous post spends any time on internet talk forums. One doesn't even have a computer so there is that. My hunting partner has looked in on here a few times and asked me "why do you waste your time on there with those bone heads ? " I don't really know the answer to that one myself.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.