-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 62 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 61 62
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello again antelope_sniper, did your eyesight fail again - did you miss this reply and inquiry? Or, are you avoiding it?

Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Instead of weasel worded hypotheticals about what your position might be, why won't you just plainly state it.
It looks as though you don't grasp the potentially exquisite subtleties of the subjunctive case. Too bad. So, as you suggest, here it is in your face. How do you respond to a position such as this:-"God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find."

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by NH K9
I’m curious why you figure that anyone who sees the hypocrisy of ‘some’ (note some) of the more outspoken’christians’ here and speaks up is an atheist?

Is hypocrisy, as you see it, unforgivable?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hello again antelope_sniper, did your eyesight fail again - did you miss this reply and inquiry? Or, are you avoiding it?

Instead of weasel worded hypotheticals about what your position might be, why won't you just plainly state it.
It looks as though you don't grasp the potentially exquisite subtleties of the subjunctive case. Too bad. So, as you suggest, here it is in your face. How do you respond to a position such as this:-"God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find."

I missed nothing.

I called you out for the game you were playing, what you call the "exquisite subtleties" where you attempt to state a position, but claim it's not really your position, so you can play gotcha games later on.

Let me know when you are done with that tactic, and we can continue your discussion.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Absolutely not.
It does, however, lend itself to how much credibility I give to the individual in question.
I don’t mind a guy like TLee (notice how he isn’t around much anymore) or Dogszapper or Wabi taking me to task on certain moral issues. I’m damn sure not going to listen to a whole bunch of other folks on this thread.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
...so the Bible cannot be entirely inerrant... Can anyone explain...
Good afternoon. My thoughts on the above... I do not believe that Jesus is bound by the covers of a book. Nor do I believe that following Jesus requires an inerrant Bible. The Bible is ‘not’ the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century Christians (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. The Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity, Christianity does ‘not’ exist ‘because of’ the Bible. *Jesus’ Resurrection is ‘the’ foundation of the Christian faith.* Christianity would ‘still’ be true even if there were no Bibles and no manuscripts. Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned a Bible, never read a Bible...because there was no Bible to be had or read. And they never held a Bible because there was no Bible until the fourth century.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
Good afternoon. My thoughts on the above... I do not believe that Jesus is bound by the covers of a book. Nor do I believe that following Jesus requires an inerrant Bible. The Bible is ‘not’ the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century Christians (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. The Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity, Christianity does ‘not’ exist ‘because of’ the Bible. *Jesus’ Resurrection is ‘the’ foundation of the Christian faith.* Christianity would ‘still’ be true even if there were no Bibles and no manuscripts. Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned a Bible, never read a Bible...because there was no Bible to be had or read. And they never held a Bible because there was no Bible until the fourth century.

In your view was the Crucifixion and Resurrection a literal historical event on this Earth, or does it matter if it wasn't?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IndyCA35 - I ‘do’ believe that the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus are literal historical events on this Earth. And to me, the faith of Christianity is anchored to, and based upon, the ‘event’ of the Resurrection.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't mean to be argumentative but Hitler was a Catholic, not an atheist. He said so many times. And he just didn't murder all those people by himself. He had a lot of help, mostly from various Christians, if they even knew what Christianity was.

Here's the stuff I don't understand.

If God was an all-powerful god, creator of all the universe, etc., why would he torture his own son to death to remove the sins of he world anyway. Seems very evil and cruel. He just could have snapped his fingers instead. Ok, ok, "God moves in mysterious ways." If that's true, why does anyone call God a loving god?

And if the crucifixion is such a big deal, what about the tens of thousands of other people that the Romans crucified and otherwise murdered? Why was that?

And if the purpose was to "take away the sin of the world," why did the sins apparently go on just as much as before? Consider, for example, the sack of Rome in 1527 AD and torturing civilians to death. The German Landsknecht (Protestants) teamed up with Catholics from Spain to do that.

And why did the authors of the New Testament (Acts, etc.) repeatedly claim that the second coming would be in their own lifetimes? It wasn't, so the Bible cannot be entirely inerrant.

Not accusing anyone of hacking or trying to dis your beliefs, but these inconsistencies bother me about Christian theology. Can anyone explain them?

I can try.
Christians worship a Triune God. That means He is made up of 3 parts: God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit. There was a huge amount of sin in the world , always has been and always will be until He returns and it will be dealt with then. So God needed a way to cover up the sin by giving people something simple to believe in. In the past with the Jews, God allowed them to cover their sin with sacrifices. Different sins required different sacrifices with the most serious ones requiring a blood offering from doves, lambs and bulls, to name a few. They had to be without spot or blemish. Jesus had no sin, and He would be the sacrifice. Believing in Him earned Grace from the Father and the sin was covered. Some people find that belief hard, others don't. One thing is, is free. So God the Son became flesh. Flesh He would surrender to the cross and show those what He was prepared to do to win our salvation from sin. The evil and cruel was not due to God but to mankind who put Christ on that cross. God loved us so much He was ready to suffer and die as a total innocent, so we might live with Him forever. Sorry I couldn't handle that one with a few words. I've pared it down about as much as I could. There are many things worth knowing to understand how God laid this all out.

As to why the Romans crucified people, it was the worst death they knew of and did that to keep people in line. Humans are evil when left to do whatever they will.

It was to take away the sins of the world, but the way it was done was to blot them out. God knew humans were incapable of never sinning again. But by believing in Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross as the blood covering for your sins and you can go through life essentially sinless as far as God is concerned. You will still sin. We all do and will, but the blood of Christ covers that sin so it can no longer been seen by God.

The Apostles, authors of the New Testament, believed Jesus was coming quickly because Jesus said he was. Thing was, they operated from the standpoint of time in this world and He operated in Eternity in Heaven.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In your view was the Crucifixion and Resurrection a literal historical event on this Earth,
or does it matter if it wasn't?

most scholars agree the cross symbol was not used by early christians.
so raises the question did such event happen as described.

The Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity, Christianity does ‘not’ exist ‘because of’ the Bible...
...Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned a Bible, never read a Bible...

To people that never witnessed such a Jesus, he became real/implanted in their minds
only because of oral tradition and creeds, some which found way into Bible.

Originally Posted by RickyD

As to why the Romans crucified people, it was the worst death they knew of and did that to keep people in line.

As you do with others things Roman, You lack proper knowledge and give poor explanation
of why Romans crucified.

Unlike Roman citizens, the status of an ordinary Jew in a Roman province was rather low.
Crucifxion woud be meted out to non-Romans rather commonly and with relative ease.-
basically -- those without civil rights; be it a slave, criminal, political or religious agitator,
pirate, ...could qualify for crucifixion

JC received the legal punishment for capital offenses against the state by a non-citizen.
ie: had he been born to a Roman citizen, Christians woud have needed a different narrative
as to his fate.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Splendidly put Ricky.

Thinking today about the two thieves on either side of Jesus, one asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom.
Even at that last moment, just asking while believing was enough for Jesus to promise the thief Paradise.

I'll pray for all the we are living with Our Lord in Paradise when the day comes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman

You apparently never read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are filled with eyewitness testimony.
According to William F. Albright the entire New Testament was finished prior to the year 70.

Except the Gospels are all anonymous, written in the third person, and none claim
to be eyewitness accounts.

Ringo also needs to consider average life expectancy in 1st century Judea.
and how old any such puported witnesses were at the time of alleged events.

No christian seems able to come up with an impartial reliable source detailing
how many actual verifiable witnesses there were of worthwhile repute.

Further; Romans were constantly very watchful of events in insurrection prone Judea
and they were meticulous record keepers...iF a man that had been killed by crucifixion
was then found/widely reported to be walking around the province for 40 days after
his death , surely it would arouse much interest and investigation by the Romans?

I had a friend who was a fanatical Christian. She claimed she could see auras around people.

Do you have an independent verification of her claims that you can provide?

We well know what 'fanatical' grade CF christians claim to see and hear.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Starman

You apparently never read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are filled with eyewitness testimony.
According to William F. Albright the entire New Testament was finished prior to the year 70.

Except the Gospels are all anonymous, written in the third person, and none claim
to be eyewitness accounts.

Ringo also needs to consider average life expectancy in 1st century Judea.
and how old any such puported witnesses were at the time of alleged events.

No christian seems able to come up with an impartial reliable source detailing
how many actual verifiable witnesses there were of worthwhile repute.

Further; Romans were constantly very watchful of events in insurrection prone Judea
and they were meticulous record keepers....iF a man that had killed through crucifixion
was then found/widely reported to be walking around the province for 40 days after
his death , surely it would arouse much interest and investigation by the Romans?

Josephus records the trials and tribulations of several Jewish Messianic figures of the time. It's interesting to note that several of alleged Gospel accounts see to be lifted from these accounts in Josephus.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

IndyCA35 - I ‘do’ believe that the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus are literal historical events on this Earth. And to me, the faith of Christianity is anchored to, and based upon, the ‘event’ of the Resurrection.

Antlers,

I will give you this. Yours is an uncommon understanding of Christianity. You're skeptical enough of the recorded human claims that you are willing to question moral proclamations that see silly, or overly self serving to the authors. This is a good bulwark against you blindly following your religion down an immoral path. Additionally, I don't think you can be accused of blindly following some religious leader, since I'm now aware of any preaching your personal brand of your Faith.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Josephus records the trials and tribulations of several Jewish Messianic figures of the time.
It's interesting to note that several of alleged Gospel accounts see to be lifted from these
accounts in Josephus.

Josephus wrote in 75 and 93-94 AD, but Ringo claims
the entire N.T. to be completed prior 70 AD.

Josephus has the death of James being by stoning
Acts 12:2 has the death of James being by sword
2nd-century church chronicler Hegesippus,..has
James being clubbed to death.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I will say, you gentleman have a zeal for religion.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
...at first I was doubtful of posting on religious threads because of the vitriol and hate displayed by Christians on the forum...

Originally Posted by DBT
Idiot.
Originally Posted by DBT
Grow a brain.
Originally Posted by DBT
What a moron you are...
Originally Posted by DBT
Coming from a coward and a cretin...
Originally Posted by DBT
For the sake of explaining the obvious to the idiot...
Originally Posted by DBT
...your opinion is less than worthless...
Originally Posted by DBT
A genuine La La Land, padded room candidate.
Originally Posted by DBT
...they are A Grade Idiots.

Originally Posted by DBT
The hypocrisy of some Christians knows no bounds.
’still laffin’ and smh

So in your book the aggressor is the innocent one...and anyone retaliating in self defense is the guilty party?

Good Christians are always the hard done by innocent victim regardless of how reprehensible they act, obnoxious, spewing hate, but innocent and pure as little lambs.....God forbid that anyone calls them an idiot.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Christianity is based on the words of the gospel authors who wrote about what they heard, and Paul based on his subjective conversion experience.

Christianity is based on legal historical evidence of a risen Jesus Christ. Both protagonists and antagonists wrote about Him. I remember one Caesar claimed Jesus tricked people into believing He had been killed and raised. The problem with that is there were Roman government eye witnesses who saw Jesus dead; and in frustration stabbed Him with a spear. That's why the early manuscripts spread so much. They were read by someone who was a witness or knew someone who was a reliable witness.

I think you may be defining 'legal' somewhat loosely, to put it mildly.

Nobody would define the new testament as a legal document.

You are showing ignorant prejudice here. Do a little reading about Simon Greenleaf. He wrote the rules for evidence that are still being used in courts.

Testimony is a form of evidence, but witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Which is why independent corroboration and physical evidence is indispensable, otherwise it's one person's word against another with no way to determine what actually happened.

We don't even have eyewitness accounts in the gospels, nor was Paul aware of some of the gospel stories about Jesus, apparently being later additions.

You apparently never read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are filled with eyewitness testimony. According to William F. Albright the entire New Testament was finished prior to the year 70. He was not a Christian. So, again you are mistaken.

Actually they are not....the authors are not eyewitnesses, they simply write about the things they were told.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I will say, you gentleman have a zeal for religion.

And it's a good thing - all the facts are coming out.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Christianity is based on the words of the gospel authors who wrote about what they heard, and Paul based on his subjective conversion experience.

Christianity is based on legal historical evidence of a risen Jesus Christ. Both protagonists and antagonists wrote about Him. I remember one Caesar claimed Jesus tricked people into believing He had been killed and raised. The problem with that is there were Roman government eye witnesses who saw Jesus dead; and in frustration stabbed Him with a spear. That's why the early manuscripts spread so much. They were read by someone who was a witness or knew someone who was a reliable witness.

You are showing ignorant prejudice here. Do a little reading about Simon Greenleaf. He wrote the rules for evidence that are still being used in courts.

Testimony is a form of evidence, but witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Which is why independent corroboration and physical evidence is indispensable, otherwise it's one person's word against another with no way to determine what actually happened.

We don't even have eyewitness accounts in the gospels, nor was Paul aware of some of the gospel stories about Jesus, apparently being later additions.

You apparently never read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are filled with eyewitness testimony. According to William F. Albright the entire New Testament was finished prior to the year 70. He was not a Christian. So, again you are mistaken.

Actually they are not....the authors are not eyewitnesses, they simply write about the things they were told.

Pray tell, how do you know this? You read this from someone who was knew those guys? Your blind faith is most impressive!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Pray tell, how do you know this? You read this from someone who was knew those guys? Your blind faith is most impressive!

I read the history of the gospels from reputable academic sources. You should try it.

Page 52 of 62 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,724
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.