Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Uncovering actual history requires rigorous investigation, faith does not. Faith allows one to believe whatever happens to be appealing.

You show us daily your faith in non-rigorous investigation.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
It wasnt always this way in the good old USA, but, "There will be scoffers in the LATTER days".

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
If its clearly stated, how come no one can see it but you?

Ok, I'll play:

''But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.“ (Matthew 24: 25-34)

“Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven. Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place…“ (Mark 13:26-30)

You have a tough time with context. The generation that experiences the tribulation will not pass before Jesus returns.

That is a rather inventive interpretation, given that the words clearly state that this generation, some of those standing before Jesus, will be alive to witness the promised return in power as described. Which is precisely what the first generation of Christians believed.

Because they didn't get it any better than you does not make your interpretation correct.

It's not my interpretation. It is what the words and verses say. The verses describe an event and give the timeline for when that event is to happen.....within the lifetime of those standing there.

Simple as that. An event is described and a timeline given.

You are like pre-tribulation rapture folks. You want It to say something It doesn't and stick with it.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raspy

As for calling into question the righteousness or sovereignty of God...It first has to be established that a God exists.
In regard to righteousness of the God of the bible, that can be examined by reading what the bible says about its God.

God exist?....it's a fifty fifty chance....either God is or God is not...I do believe God does exist because when I die and then find out there really is something on the other side of the grave, whew, glory to God, as I tried to do the best I could all my life.[/quote]

Doing good to impress God is of absolutely now value. One need to accept God's Gift of His Son. Jesus says, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except by Me."

Everyday Hunter
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Uncovering actual history requires rigorous investigation, faith does not. Faith allows one to believe whatever happens to be appealing.

You show us daily your faith in non-rigorous investigation.

You make daily affirmations of your faith without regard to what is being said. Always focussing on the poster while studiously avoiding debate on the topic.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You good, but non believing folks have your work cut out trying to out do us stubborn Christians. Better get some hungry lions. laugh

Even then, I'll pray the God of Daniel will prop their jaws open. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
"How do you respond to a position such as this:-"God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find."It sounds like religious followers trying to shut down debate and discourage people from asking questions they can't answer. In doing so, they are claiming to know his mind, and speak for the alleged god. In order for a god to care, it must first exist, so unless the followers can produce sufficient evidence for their alleged god, why should anyone care about their self serving claims?
Well, good that you finally responded in that it can be helpful to understand what that condition "sounds like" to a person of your position - how a person like you thinks. It is telling that you immediately ascribe that very viable concept to a conscious negative agenda on the part of '"religious followers" - acting as if you know what those followers are thinking, claiming and trying to do - where you have absolutely no evidence of that - zero evidence. And, this by the guy/gal who preaches the alleged sacredness of evidence as the basis for "knowing". Is this glaring inconsistency a hallmark of your logic system?. Some would call this a "laffin" moment if it were not so sad. Since you act as if you can read minds (and maybe souls) over the internet, why not state your guess on what "religious followers" are thinking about your behavior there? I would guess that God is not interested in or concerned with such feeble human behaviors.

The whole premise of your argument is that no one is allowed to question your presupposition that your god exists, because he doesn't' want us to. It's a sophisticated version of "shut the phhuck up, theist don't care about your logic'. As such, it demonstrates the desperate nature of your argument.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

As for calling into question the righteousness or sovereignty of God...It first has to be established that a God exists.
In regard to righteousness of the God of the bible, that can be examined by reading what the bible says about its God.

God exist?....it's a fifty fifty chance....either God is or God is not...I do believe God does exist because when I die and then find out there really is something on the other side of the grave, whew, glory to God, as I tried to do the best I could all my life.

Doing good to impress God is of absolutely now value. One need to accept God's Gift of His Son. Jesus says, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except by Me."
[/quote]
I'm not trying to impress Him....I do absolutely believe in His gift to us...it just took time for me in starting out believing there is a God....it was the fifty fifty chance there was a God that initially drew me in and now I am ALL in.....

Last edited by Raspy; 02/28/20. Reason: fix

Illegitimi non carborundum

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

God exist?....it's a fifty fifty chance....either God is or God is not...I do believe God does exist because when I die and then find out there really is something on the other side of the grave, whew, glory to God, as I tried to do the best I could all my life.

I'm not trying to impress Him....I do absolutely believe in His gift to us...it just took time for me in starting out believing there is a God....it was the fifty fifty chance there was a God that initially drew me in and now I am ALL in.....
[/quote]

I believe 100% that God wants us to serve others, and serve I will.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

How do you calculate 50/50 chance? And why the God of the bible rather than Brahman the creative principle of Hinduism, for example?

Isn't it 50/50 between those two options without even considering any number of other possibilities?

Imagine a 6 sided die with an X on one side and the rest blank.

The only two possible results are X or blank, but the odd of getting an X are not 50/50, they are 1 in 6.

Bayesian analysis isn't just a combination of 50/50 outcomes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT

How do you calculate 50/50 chance? And why the God of the bible rather than Brahman the creative principle of Hinduism, for example?

Isn't it 50/50 between those two options without even considering any number of other possibilities?

The only two possible results are X or blank, but the odd of getting an X are not 50/50, they are 1 in 6.

Sorry...I don't get it....either there is or there is not a God...seems like that is 50/50 to me....

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Keep the attacks coming, our Boss just might give us all we need to guide the non's over. laugh

Not that anyone pays any heed to little old me.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Sorry...I don't get it....either there is or there is not a God...seems like that is 50/50 to me....

Either there is, or there is not a billion dollars in my bank account.

By your reasoning, because this is a binary choice, by chances of being a billionaire are 50/50.

However, there's only about 2,500 billionaires in a world of 7.5 billion people, so the odds are actually 1 in 3 million.

This is just one example of how a binary choice doesn't necessarily translate to even odds.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

If a god, which god? There are many versions to choose from. Plus, there are multiple possibilities that do not involve a God....countless quantum simulated 'universes' being generated by super advanced civilizations, for example.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Keep the attacks coming, our Boss just might give us all we need to guide the non's over. laugh

Not that anyone pays any heed to little old me.

Why is questioning seen as an attack?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

If a god, which god? There are many versions to choose from. Plus, there are multiple possibilities that do not involve a God....countless quantum simulated 'universes' being generated by super advanced civilizations, for example.

God is God....you fill in the blank as to who what you call Him....

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
At the end of this work week, I'll put an up olive branch. May it be a good safe weekend, and like it or not, may God Bless us all.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
At the end of this work week, I'll put an up olive branch. May it be a good safe weekend, and like it or not, may God Bless us all.

Yes, expecially as our needs may be, in the name of JESUS. Amen.

Wabi, just a thought. I wonder if Jesus ever offered an olive branch to the unbelievers or Pharisees.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/28/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

God is God....you fill in the blank as to who what you call Him....

It's not that simple.

The vast majority of Theistic systems are mutually exclusive. As an example Muslims and Christians each believe the other is going to Hell, as do Mormons and Catholics.

There's over 4,000 religions, with many subdivision. Christianity has over 30,000 sects. If all the other 4k religions were as fractionated as Christianity, your looking at 120,000,000 million, mostly mutually exclusive variants of potential afterlives.

So, by that math, your chances of choosing correctly are 1 in 120 million, not 1 in 2.

So you better hurry up and convert to Hinduism so you don't end up in Naraka.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Doc. I hope, and pray we can do some good works as we are told to do.
The non believers on this forum can't be any tougher than cannibals in dark Africa. laugh

Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1234, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,249
Posts18,504,670
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.