Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 57 of 62 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 61 62
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy

God is God....you fill in the blank as to who what you call Him....

Not really. God is just a word to which people apply their own ideas. The God of Hinduism, Brahman, is nothing like the God of the bible. The two descriptions, the bible and the Gita, are not compatible.

You and I agree on this.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
You make daily affirmations of your faith without regard to what is being said. Always focussing on the poster while studiously avoiding debate on the topic.

You and I are exactly the same. You believe what you read is factual. I have been on both side and know I am right.

I have no belief about how the universe came to be. I am questioning those who do claim to know. The two are not the same. You are equivocating.

I don't believe you. Or your are insane. You come here and argue against Christians because you don't have a belief. You need help.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy

God is God....you fill in the blank as to who what you call Him....

Not really. God is just a word to which people apply their own ideas. The God of Hinduism, Brahman, is nothing like the God of the bible. The two descriptions, the bible and the Gita, are not compatible.

That is true but god is still what people call "their God or entity", their name of their entity as to how they were raised to believe....I was raised as Catholic...i believe in God and in Jesus Christ....that's all I meant.

Illegitimi non carborundum

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hey, fellow believers, all who want us to jump onto an atheist or Satanic worshipping or witchcraft website so we can derail their internet conversations and tell them how they are all going to hell, say I.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
I started reading this discussion believing that Yeshua (Jesus) was who he said he was, son of man , prophet, rabbi (teacher), savior. And that Paul was a fraud corrupting Jesus' teachings and directing people through the wide gate down the broad path to destruction. Jesus' purported friends accepting and promoting Paul's teachings do great damage. Paul and Jesus cannot be reconciled. Without Paul the "Christain" church would never have been able to justify its atrocities and power over the secular affairs of government. I'm still where I was in my original beliefs but I don't blame non believers for not accepting the Jesus represented here.

Hastings,

Consider this. Of the Canonical writings, best we can tell, those of Paul were written first. The Gospels can later, the simplest version with the most geographical and cultural mistakes, and simplest Jesus, Mark came first, followed by the later, more embellished versions.

By this measure, the "authentic" writing of "Paul" are more foundations to Christianity then the Gospels.

We also have later forgeries attributed to "Paul" which attempted to "correct: some of "Paul's" earlier writing, such as he egalitarian views of women.

And yes, there's much between the two versions of Christianity that cannot be reconciled. Paul was way more Gnostic than most Modern Christians realize.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am amazed that some nonbelievers can toss about Bible passages quicker than I. I just like it simple, straight, pure, and simple.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
The atheists have tried hard to promote “their religion” in this thread and have shown much truth to this scripture:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12)

You are equating us with "against the rulers of the darkness of this age", and "spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places"?

Really?

Are simple questions that threatening to you?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/29/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I am amazed that some nonbelievers can toss about Bible passages quicker than I. I just like it simple, straight, pure, and simple.

Wabigoon,

As I've said before, it was studying the Bible that turned be to Atheism.

What's more amazing is how many Christians don't know what's really in their Bible.

How familiar are you with Numbers 31 and The Slaughter of the Midianites?

You know, the slaughter where God was mad at Moses because he didn't murder enough women and children?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
"How do you respond to a position such as this:-"God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find."It sounds like religious followers trying to shut down debate and discourage people from asking questions they can't answer. In doing so, they are claiming to know his mind, and speak for the alleged god. In order for a god to care, it must first exist, so unless the followers can produce sufficient evidence for their alleged god, why should anyone care about their self serving claims?
Well, good that you finally responded in that it can be helpful to understand what that condition "sounds like" to a person of your position - how a person like you thinks. It is telling that you immediately ascribe that very viable concept to a conscious negative agenda on the part of '"religious followers" - acting as if you know what those followers are thinking, claiming and trying to do - where you have absolutely no evidence of that - zero evidence. And, this by the guy/gal who preaches the alleged sacredness of evidence as the basis for "knowing". Is this glaring inconsistency a hallmark of your logic system?. Some would call this a "laffin" moment if it were not so sad. Since you act as if you can read minds (and maybe souls) over the internet, why not state your guess on what "religious followers" are thinking about your behavior there? I would guess that God is not interested in or concerned with such feeble human behaviors.
The whole premise of your argument is that no one is allowed to question your presupposition that your god exists, because he doesn't' want us to. It's a sophisticated version of "shut the phhuck up, theist don't care about your logic'. As such, it demonstrates the desperate nature of your argument.
Indeed. you exhibit a sad case. You are still trying to pretend that you can dictate the thoughts and intent of another person in order to create some straw man against which you might argue. You attempt to tell someone else what they are trying to do and why, yet you do this without a shred of the precious "evidence" that is so key to your positioning. That is lame, and your description of my alleged "premise" is dead wrong. I have and make no argument here and you cannot identify any such argument. My purpose has been to ask cogent questions and to expose your posturing. Furthermore, you now have stooped to posting base vulgarity. Is this frankness frustrating?

CCCC,

Let's convert your argument into the form of a syllogism.

Premise one: God exists.

Premise two: God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find.

Conclusion: Therefore, humans should not apply the principles of reason and logic to Christian God claims and just accept that The Christian God exists.

This is your argument.

At best, it's a completely illogical circular argument, at worst, it's exactly what I called it. A dishonest attempt by Christians to prevent the asking of questions they cannot answer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"On February 13, 1633, Italian philosopher, astronomer and mathematician Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to face charges of heresy for advocating Copernican theory, which holds that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Galileo officially faced the Roman Inquisition in April of that same year and agreed to plead guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence. Put under house arrest indefinitely by Pope Urban VIII, Galileo spent the rest of his days at his villa in Arcetri, near Florence, before dying on January 8, 1642."

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/galileo-in-rome-for-inquisition

[Linked Image from cropper.watch.aetnd.com]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"How do you respond to a position such as this:-"God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find."It sounds like religious followers trying to shut down debate and discourage people from asking questions they can't answer. In doing so, they are claiming to know his mind, and speak for the alleged god. In order for a god to care, it must first exist, so unless the followers can produce sufficient evidence for their alleged god, why should anyone care about their self serving claims?
Well, good that you finally responded in that it can be helpful to understand what that condition "sounds like" to a person of your position - how a person like you thinks. It is telling that you immediately ascribe that very viable concept to a conscious negative agenda on the part of '"religious followers" - acting as if you know what those followers are thinking, claiming and trying to do - where you have absolutely no evidence of that - zero evidence. And, this by the guy/gal who preaches the alleged sacredness of evidence as the basis for "knowing". Is this glaring inconsistency a hallmark of your logic system?. Some would call this a "laffin" moment if it were not so sad. Since you act as if you can read minds (and maybe souls) over the internet, why not state your guess on what "religious followers" are thinking about your behavior there? I would guess that God is not interested in or concerned with such feeble human behaviors.
The whole premise of your argument is that no one is allowed to question your presupposition that your god exists, because he doesn't' want us to. It's a sophisticated version of "shut the phhuck up, theist don't care about your logic'. As such, it demonstrates the desperate nature of your argument.
Indeed. you exhibit a sad case. You are still trying to pretend that you can dictate the thoughts and intent of another person in order to create some straw man against which you might argue. You attempt to tell someone else what they are trying to do and why, yet you do this without a shred of the precious "evidence" that is so key to your positioning. That is lame, and your description of my alleged "premise" is dead wrong. I have and make no argument here and you cannot identify any such argument. My purpose has been to ask cogent questions and to expose your posturing. Furthermore, you now have stooped to posting base vulgarity. Is this frankness frustrating?
CCCC, Let's convert your argument into the form of a syllogism. Premise one: God exists.Premise two: God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find.Conclusion: Therefore, humans should not apply the principles of reason and logic to Christian God claims and just accept that The Christian God exists. This is your argument. At best, it's a completely illogical circular argument, at worst, it's exactly what I called it. A dishonest attempt by Christians to prevent the asking of questions they cannot answer.
AS - let's not, because it would be dumb to waste more time and effort on your phony game. You assume and try to state "my argument" even though I HAVE MADE NO ARGUMENT - for you need to stage an argument of your liking (a straw man) so that you can work your methods. No argument -I merely stated a condition and asked your response - thinking that you might try to reply based on "evidence" - your stated coin of the realm for your position and beliefs. Nope - no evidence came back from "Mr. Evidence" - just merely your own assumptions and assignations about "religious followers with no evidence to support your assertions about them. You are exposed. You abandoned your base. There is no point in one trying to have an honest discussion with a pretender. I don't know what or if God thinks about human efforts to prove or disprove His existence, and my ignorance of that does not bother me. Phonies trying to game others regarding God are not even entertaining, and certainly not worth my simple human time. Done here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
CCCC, Let's convert your argument into the form of a syllogism. Premise one: God exists.Premise two: God is not interested in the futile human process and search for evidence about God, and not interested in what evidence humans do or do not find.Conclusion: Therefore, humans should not apply the principles of reason and logic to Christian God claims and just accept that The Christian God exists. This is your argument. At best, it's a completely illogical circular argument, at worst, it's exactly what I called it. A dishonest attempt by Christians to prevent the asking of questions they cannot answer.
AS - let's not, because it would be dumb to waste more time and effort on your phony game. You assume and try to state "my argument" even though I HAVE MADE NO ARGUMENT - for you need to stage an argument of your liking (a straw man) so that you can work your methods. No argument -I merely stated a condition and asked your response - thinking that you might try to reply based on "evidence" - your stated coin of the realm for your position and beliefs. Nope - no evidence came back from "Mr. Evidence" - just merely your own assumptions and assignations about "religious followers with no evidence to support your assertions about them. You are exposed. You abandoned your base. There is no point in one trying to have an honest discussion with a pretender. I don't know what or if God thinks about human efforts to prove or disprove His existence, and my ignorance of that does not bother me. Phonies trying to game others regarding God are not even entertaining, and certainly not worth my simple human time. Done here.

Now you are just being dishonest.

I expect better from you.

I believe you are a better man than what you've displayed in this thread.

Please come back when you what to have an honest discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I started reading this discussion believing that Yeshua (Jesus) was who he said he was, son of man , prophet, rabbi (teacher), savior. And that Paul was a fraud corrupting Jesus' teachings and directing people through the wide gate down the broad path to destruction. Jesus' purported friends accepting and promoting Paul's teachings do great damage. Paul and Jesus cannot be reconciled. Without Paul the "Christain" church would never have been able to justify its atrocities and power over the secular affairs of government. I'm still where I was in my original beliefs but I don't blame non believers for not accepting the Jesus represented here.

Understood - and did you so "blame" them before reading these discussions?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BFaucett
"On February 13, 1633, Italian philosopher, astronomer and mathematician Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to face charges of heresy for advocating Copernican theory, which holds that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Galileo officially faced the Roman Inquisition in April of that same year and agreed to plead guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence. Put under house arrest indefinitely by Pope Urban VIII, Galileo spent the rest of his days at his villa in Arcetri, near Florence, before dying on January 8, 1642."

Notice how we've come full circle back to Galileo's time: anyone who questions materialism or Neo-Darwinism is virtually driven from the academic public square---and this in a Nation whose Constitution defines that liberty which is good for you as a "blessing"---something good in the eyes of God and whose founding charter (the Declaration of Independence) appeals to "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God". A famous Chinese paleontologist remarked a few years back "In China, you cannot question the government. In America, you cannot question Darwin." Sad but true. Truly, we are right back where Galileo started.

Tarquin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Notice how we've come full circle back to Galileo's time: anyone who questions materialism or Neo-Darwinism is virtually driven from the academic public square---and this in a Nation whose Constitution defines that liberty which is good for you as a "blessing"---something good in the eyes of God and whose founding charter (the Declaration of Independence) appeals to "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God". A famous Chinese paleontologist remarked a few years back "In China, you cannot question the government. In America, you cannot question Darwin." Sad but true. Truly, we are right back where Galileo started.

Do you not see the parallels between theistic denials of Heliocentric Theory and The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Do you not see the parallels between theistic denials of Heliocentric Theory and The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection?

You'e kidding right? You cannot possibly be that stupid.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Exactly. [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You have that backwards.

And yes, in a modern academic setting people who deny The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection are considered just as misguided as those why deny Heliocentric Theory.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

You have that backwards.

And yes, in a modern academic setting people who deny The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection are considered just as misguided as those why deny Heliocentric Theory.

The movement of the earth around the sun is an observable fact of present day reality. Neo-Darwinism is a deduction from an a priori philosophical premise which is held primarily on the basis of faith. The evidence for Neo-Darwinism is contradictory at best. This was the theme of a remarkably candid lecture lecture given by Colin Patterson at the American Museum of Natural History in 1981. Patterson, a senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and the author of that museum’s general text on evolution, compared creationism (not creation-science) with evolution, and characterized both as scientifically vacuous concepts which are held primarily on the basis of faith. Many of the specific points in the lecture are technical, but two are of particular importance. First, Patterson asked his audience of experts a question which reflected his own doubts about much of what has been thought to be secure knowledge about evolution: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing . . . that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said “I do know one thing—it ought not to be taught in high school.” Patterson suggested that both evolution and creation are forms of pseudo-knowledge, concepts which seem to imply information but do not. One point of comparison was particularly striking. A common objection to creationism in pre-Darwinian times was that no one could say anything about the mechanism of creation. Creationists simply pointed to the “fact” of creation and conceded ignorance of the means. But now, according to Patterson, Darwin’s theory of natural selection is under fire and scientists are no longer sure of its general validity. Evolutionists increasingly talk like creationists in that they point to a fact but cannot provide an explanation of the means.

Tarquin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You have that backwards.

The movement of the earth around the sun is an observable fact of present day reality. Neo-Darwinism is a deduction from an a priori philosophical premise which is held primarily on the basis of faith. The evidence for Neo-Darwinism is contradictory at best. This was the theme of a remarkably candid lecture lecture given by Colin Patterson at the American Museum of Natural History in 1981. Patterson, a senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and the author of that museum’s general text on evolution, compared creationism (not creation-science) with evolution, and characterized both as scientifically vacuous concepts which are held primarily on the basis of faith. Many of the specific points in the lecture are technical, but two are of particular importance. First, Patterson asked his audience of experts a question which reflected his own doubts about much of what has been thought to be secure knowledge about evolution: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing . . . that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said “I do know one thing—it ought not to be taught in high school.” Patterson suggested that both evolution and creation are forms of pseudo-knowledge, concepts which seem to imply information but do not. One point of comparison was particularly striking. A common objection to creationism in pre-Darwinian times was that no one could say anything about the mechanism of creation. Creationists simply pointed to the “fact” of creation and conceded ignorance of the means. But now, according to Patterson, Darwin’s theory of natural selection is under fire and scientists are no longer sure of its general validity. Evolutionists increasingly talk like creationists in that they point to a fact but cannot provide an explanation of the means.

The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is not "under fire" in the scientific community. Not one bit. Nada, nill, zip.....

Even your alleged source Colin Patterson disagrees with your out of context "quote mining":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Patterson_(biologist)

Patterson did not support creationism, but his work has been cited by creationists with claims that it provides evidence of the absence of transitional forms in the fossil record.[8][9] In the second edition of Evolution (1999), Patterson stated that his remarks had been taken out of context:

Because creationists lack scientific research to support such theories as a young earth ... a world-wide flood ... or separate ancestry for humans and apes, their common tactic is to attack evolution by hunting out debate or dissent among evolutionary biologists. ... I learned that one should think carefully about candour in argument (in publications, lectures, or correspondence) in case one was furnishing creationist campaigners with ammunition in the form of 'quotable quotes', often taken out of context.[10]

Page 57 of 62 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, 673, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.