Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I prefer fixed 4X, but have never had to shoot a big game animal over 200 yds.

Hunters I know, hunt with their variables at the lowest setting then crank up to the highest setting for longer shots or sight in. The middle powers never get used. To me, targets always look smaller if the magnification is below 3X so I prefer at least 4x even walking around.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Obviously if you shot those running deer at 90 and 200 yards they were not in heavy cover nor close and a 6x would have worked fine.

The 90 yd shot was in a thick hardwood bottom, the first shot around 60 yds.....a 6x would not have been any better, perhaps worse, I did take that little buck down on the 2nd shot. Yes, the 200 yd shot was in an open field, and a 6x would have done fine, though the 4x worked so well, I am not sure it would have helped or been any easier. That 4x just worked. I have had a 6x on rifles for far more kills than fixed 4x's. Also used a sprinkling of variables of all sizes, some topping out at 8x, others to 24x and used the last on a 6mm BR to dump a deer about 400 yds in that same field as I made the 200 yd short. I had practiced with that combo on gongs at 415 yds at my local range, so when that shot appeared, it was almost a given as I had a solid rest and an 8 ounces set trigger, a Kepplinger on a Ruger No.1 custom.

DCB, as you likely know, Jack O'Connor did a lot of killing with 4x Leupolds.......having shot black birds at 100 yds on a 22, no doubt a deer at 4x the distance is not out of the question, though perhaps ideal. Sometimes folks do not know what they can do with certain equipment, until they give it a go. Many folks THINK they need Magnum rounds and Hubble scopes to make certain shots. Sometimes they might, but many times less does just fine as you know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
[quote=Blackheart] Obviously if you shot those running deer at 90 and 200 yards they were not in heavy cover nor close and a 6x would have worked fine.

The 90 yd shot was in a thick hardwood bottom, the first shot around 60 yds.....a 6x would not have been any better, perhaps worse, I did take that little buck down on the 2nd shot. Yes, the 200 yd shot was in an open field, and a 6x would have done fine, though the 4x worked so well, I am not sure it would have helped or been any easier. That 4x just worked. I have had a 6x on rifles for far more kills than fixed 4x's. Also used a sprinkling of variables of all sizes, some topping out at 8x, others to 24x and used the last on a 6mm BR to dump a deer about 400 yds in that same field as I made the 200 yd short. I had practiced with that combo on gongs at 415 yds at my local range, so when that shot appeared, it was almost a given as I had a solid rest and an 8 ounces set trigger, a Kepplinger on a Ruger No.1 custom.

DJB, as you likely know, Jack O'Connor did a lot of killing with 4x Leupolds.......having shot black birds at 100 yds on a 22, no doubt a deer at 4x the distance is not out of the question, though perhaps ideal. Sometimes folks do not know what they can do with certain equipment, until they give it a go. Many folks THINK they need Magnum rounds and Hubble scopes to make certain shots. Sometimes they might, but many times less does just fine as you know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I personally am anxious to get proper brass for my 30 03 and monkey around with the climbing Lyman that is attached to it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter
In looking at JCMCUBIC's fourth picture down from the top I note again that everyones perspective as to what is "woods" and "thick cover" varies greatly from region to region and person to person. That picture is what we would call "open woods" here where I hunt, and a mature deer would not be seen in such a place in the daylight unless he was run out of a thicket.

I would hunt with a 6x fixed scope and feel fine doing it, but I don't shoot running deer. Heck, my brother screws his up to 9x when he gets on a stand so he can see the deer good and he has never shot a deer farther than 75yds. and in most places he hunts you can't see 50yds, again he don't shoot running deer.

I don't consider that "thick cover" and don't mean to note it as such.....I don't think I did? I consider it more open woods but the picture is also deceiving... It "looks" open in that picture....I took the picture for the view. 30 or so yards behind the deer is a bluff and it helps it look open with air as a background. To the left and right of the view in the pic are briars and saplings that are a pain to walk through. Behind where I'm taking the picture from is a route a tornado passed through a few years ago and large trees/tops are laying all around. There is a lot more cover than can be seen in the pic....it was a "chosen" angle for the picture.

Regarding mature deer never being seen in such a place.....deer here receive little pressure over the short 4 month season, no one around here hunts either....I don't know anyone around here that hunts more than 7 days a week.

I guess I'm just lucky to see deer there in such open woods. But I've been very lucky on that eastern bluff with western winds catching bucks cruising the bluff checking the wind for does on the top.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, you claimed to know something about western hunting because of your hike. It would be pretty easy to find the thread/post, if you insist on denying it.

But thanks for admitting your experience with fixed scopes is dated. I also have some older scopes going as far back as before WWII, and all have worked well--but all have been quality scopes from that era, with names such as Lyman, Hensoldt, Noske, Zeiss, etc.
The old scopes I've had that failed were Weaver, Redfield and Bushnell. Go ahead and look up that Western post. I never said I knew alot about Western rifles or hunting the west. I do believe I know more about the terrain/hunting conditions in the West than most of the retards involved in that thread know about the terrain/hunting conditions here. Fact is, you've screwed up several times accusing/berating me for thing's that were incorrect. Such as, berating me for saying I don't have any use for the 17HMR when I lack any experience with it. WHEN IN FACT. I bought the first one I found for sale here back when they first came out and used it for several years on varmints and small game before disposing of it. You also jumped on me for saying I never liked the .270. Again berating me for having that opinion without having any experience with it, WHEN IN FACT, I've never owned one but have shot several. My long time hunting partner and two of my three sons all use .270's. I have been present many times to witness deer killed with the cartridge and have dressed/skinned/butchered deer killed with the cartridge. IN FACT, I have my hunting partners Tikka .270 here right now and recently test fired it after repairing it's broken stock. It shot a 1 1/4" 5 shot group centerd about 1" left at 100 yards with 130 gr Hornady factory loads. Not too bad considering it fell 18' out of a tree stand back during deer season and wears an old, outdated 3-9 Redfield Tracker.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember well my good buddy in Maine talking about his new neighbor. His neighbor was telling him about the law in the area concerning property rights. My buddy,Dave, a life time resident of Maine told him he was not correct. The neighbor said well that's how it is done in New York. Dave said well buddy you aren't in New York any more. So there is a story and folk can surmise from that.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CWT
I remember well my good buddy in Maine talking about his new neighbor. His neighbor was telling him about the law in the area concerning property rights. My buddy,Dave, a life time resident of Maine told him he was not correct. The neighbor said well that's how it is done in New York. Dave said well buddy you aren't in New York any more. So there is a story and folk can surmise from that.
I never claimed to know the laws or much of anything else in other states. Nor do I care you fuggin douchebag. Thus far I have not insulted you in any way and have ignored your insults. That is now over you pathetic ass hole so if you want to continue lets rock.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by VaHunter
In looking at JCMCUBIC's fourth picture down from the top I note again that everyones perspective as to what is "woods" and "thick cover" varies greatly from region to region and person to person. That picture is what we would call "open woods" here where I hunt, and a mature deer would not be seen in such a place in the daylight unless he was run out of a thicket.

I would hunt with a 6x fixed scope and feel fine doing it, but I don't shoot running deer. Heck, my brother screws his up to 9x when he gets on a stand so he can see the deer good and he has never shot a deer farther than 75yds. and in most places he hunts you can't see 50yds, again he don't shoot running deer.

I don't consider that "thick cover" and don't mean to note it as such.....I don't think I did? I consider it more open woods but the picture is also deceiving... It "looks" open in that picture....I took the picture for the view. 30 or so yards behind the deer is a bluff and it helps it look open with air as a background. To the left and right of the view in the pic are briars and saplings that are a pain to walk through. Behind where I'm taking the picture from is a route a tornado passed through a few years ago and large trees/tops are laying all around. There is a lot more cover than can be seen in the pic....it was a "chosen" angle for the picture.

Regarding mature deer never being seen in such a place.....deer here receive little pressure over the short 4 month season, no one around here hunts either....I

don't know anyone around here that hunts more than 7 days a week.

I guess I'm just lucky to see deer there in such open woods. But I've been very lucky on that eastern bluff with western winds catching bucks cruising the bluff checking the wind for does on the top.

I was not trying to be critical of your hunting area or terrain, I was only pointing out that terrain and deer habits vary considerably from state to state and region to region. Obviously the area you are hunting produces some great deer.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Time and place for everything. I’d posit that everywhere a fixed 6x works, something else works at least as well, if not better.....whether a different fixed or variable. Not sure the reverse is always true. I’ve shot coyotes past 200 and 300 with a 30-30, and stuff in thick cover/moving with fixed 6x and more.....neither was the better choice, but worked and was the compromise I had in hand. Horses for courses, and such, but it’s likely the perfect answer for some questions, while not for others....just depends on the questions, I’d imagine.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Time and place for everything. I’d posit that everywhere a fixed 6x works, something else works at least as well, if not better.....whether a different fixed or variable. Not sure the reverse is always true. I’ve shot coyotes past 200 and 300 with a 30-30, and stuff in thick cover/moving with fixed 6x and more.....neither was the better choice, but worked and was the compromise I had in hand. Horses for courses, and such, but it’s likely the perfect answer for some questions, while not for others....just depends on the questions, I’d imagine.

BTWB

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
6x is great. I’ve shot crows at 450 yards flying with a 22LR pistol.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I didn’t know you hunted thick cover.

He rarely speaks of it. And then, only sparingly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Did I ever tell you about the time I shot an Elephant in my underwear. He was in the thick and I had a 6x42. Oh wait that was Groucho.... Never mind....

Last edited by battue; 03/03/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, but tell me again about how you used to be a gunsmith??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well that would be when I apprenticed at Purdey. But I never leaned anything about rifles....Oh wait that was James Purdey the Elder....Never mind.....

Last edited by battue; 03/03/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 6mmCreedmoor, AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 15 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,137
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.