-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

400 yards up an old spur road off of a main logging road, came on this sequence in the snow.

First photo shows where a low clearance vehicle heading away from the camera position hit a rock on the hump between two tire track lanes. It moved the rock slightly to the left and must have bent something on the vehicle down because from that point on, something was dragging on the hump.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Second photo is about 40 feet farther, where the vehicle hit a second rock, in the lower right corner of the photo. It broke off a chunk of pan metal with the drain plug in it, which is lying on the snow by the red arrow. From that point onward there is a trail of oil. Apparently the vehicle stopped and leaked out most of its oil at the big splotch about 6 or 8 feet farther along, but no one got out of the vehicle to look under it, or at least I did not see any footprints.

Two pics of the pan metal with drain plug. The vehicle left an ever smaller trail of oil drips for the next 400 yards, to the main haul road. Never caught up with the vehicle so it was either towed or driven away before I came along.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like a bad day for somebody......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It had to have been towed.
I can't imagine it running more than a few minutes with zero oil pressure.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
meth head in the woods, with his 88 Civic.. high and stupid....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You would be amazed, some can go a long time if not pushed

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The sign looked to me like the vehicle was going pretty fast for a primitive road, and the big splotch of oil may have been an initial dump without the vehicle stopping.

As to driveabilty, if he he made it another 400 yards on the main haul road, he could coast for 3 or 4 miles. Then another 400 yards uphill would put him on pavement and downhill most of the way to a gas station. I wondered if he shut off the engine, coasted and let it cool, then drove it in short spurts to get to town. Don't know if that would work or not. How quickly does an engine burn out without more than a trace of oil?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I remember finding a rock like that on a very similar road. We followed a trail of oil drips for 1/2 mile until it hit pavement and we lost the trail. I wondered how far he got.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I saw a test where they were testing marvel oil in a chevy 6 cylinder.. they run it with the oil for about five minutes , than drained the oil out and left the drain plug out they than run it for 20 min more and never harmed the engine...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes some sort of epic stupid attack to make an oil pan out of cast aluminum. A sheet metal pan might bend, but it's not likely to get a chunk like that knocked out. Of course, a driver with a few brain cells to rub together wouldn't have high-centered the vehicle in the first place. Idiot drivers like doctors, lawyers, accountants and computer geeks kept me busy fixing their screwups for over 50 years- - - - -they paid for a hundred acres of Middle Tennessee, and my kids ate well and had a nice place to live- - - - -not sorry for them in the least!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yup, crack heads.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did the belly mounted 30# propane tank VS rock once, it was quite exciting. They empty pretty fast.

Had a kid do the 22 LR VS My Pontiac's oil filter while driving down the road on a cold and dark Christmas eve with a Browning lever action 22 I'd just given him as a Christmas gift.

I vividly remember how fast the oil light popped on, I pulled off the road and park instantly. I was sure it was the oil pan but quite relieved to find it was just the filter. But it was late on Christmas eve and there wasn't anywhere to buy 5 quarts and a filter. We took a picture with the hood up and his foot propped up on the front bumper, his first kill with the new rifle. We walked and laughed.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It takes some sort of epic stupid attack to make an oil pan out of cast aluminum.
They'll do stupid things in order to save weight.. And I agree - it should NOT be aluminum..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It takes some sort of epic stupid attack to make an oil pan out of cast aluminum.
They'll do stupid things in order to save weight.. And I agree - it should NOT be aluminum..

On an off road rig anyway....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Damn the bad luck!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I saw some old Toyotas run for 30 minutes with the oil drained and replaced with sodium silicate back during the Cash for Clunkers BS. The mechanics had to get in them and red line them to get them to blow. It was pretty impressive!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I followed an oil trail to a Ford Ranger once. Followed the footprints for 7 miles until I found the guys and gave them a ride to town. It was over 90 degrees and they were real tired. They had 15 miles left to go, I'm not sure they would have made it.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I followed an oil trail to a Ford Ranger once. Followed the footprints for 7 miles until I found the guys and gave them a ride to town. It was over 90 degrees and they were real tired. They had 15 miles left to go, I'm not sure they would have made it.

38 Souper

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire

I used to work counting birds every spring for an environmental contractor on Camp Bullis Military Training Area. Hill Country terrain; lots of steep rocky limestone hillsides and rough two tracks. That lady would drive her beat-up 80's Honda Civic most everywhere, bottoming it out numerous times. She said when she took it in to the dealer for oil changes they would photograph the underneath, prob'ly in case she filed warranty claims. Never did bust an oil pan though, but she was a good driver and knew how to pick her way along.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not an oil trail, tho he was or had been well oiled...

On our way to Anchorage to catch a redeye somewhere. Snowing pretty good. Passed a man walking alongside the road, going home I suppose.

"Backtrailed" him a mile or so to the Indian bar. The closer to the bar we got, the more erratic his trail was. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.