Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 74 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 73 74
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
2 long term occupation sites we found last year from paleo/trans paleo to late archaic hold alot of promise for me and slumlord.

Another site we found on long elimination/ confirmation walks is gonna produce for us also.

Then we found a blantently obvious spot we gotta be careful getting spotted in or the locust will descend on us.

2 or 3 other short term sites we found.

Then the usual good producing spots.

Also have a long term spot behind the house hoping they plant a delibrate failed tobacco crop on it.
Gets plowed seldomly.
Everything from trans paleo to late woodland along the cumberland.
Would like ta get slumlord down their with me if they would plow it to plant this spring.

What about all those fence rows that are being ripped out by that Bobcat work over by you? He’s under the root line on a lot of that

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
2 long term occupation sites we found last year from paleo/trans paleo to late archaic hold alot of promise for me and slumlord.

Another site we found on long elimination/ confirmation walks is gonna produce for us also.

Then we found a blantently obvious spot we gotta be careful getting spotted in or the locust will descend on us.

2 or 3 other short term sites we found.

Then the usual good producing spots.

Also have a long term spot behind the house hoping they plant a delibrate failed tobacco crop on it.
Gets plowed seldomly.
Everything from trans paleo to late woodland along the cumberland.
Would like ta get slumlord down their with me if they would plow it to plant this spring.

What about all those fence rows that are being ripped out by that Bobcat work over by you? He’s under the root line on a lot of that

You talking that home that had a donkey across from the old midsouth motoplex
Or down by gary matthhews at that new ground getting broke half way down the hill across from those apartments.

I have seen both and thought the same.

Spot across from the apartments has old river channel and y intersect creek geology.
Just up that valley by the church by gary Mathews.

Its old terrian where the river used ta be at its valley mouth.
But I aint seeing a plateau for habitation of any sort.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful points. I wish the stuff we have around here was that pretty.

I'm going to follow slum and ren some day and find where those good spots are. Might go have a talk with Garnett and tell him that those Tennessee boys have been badmouthing him........lol.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From the few points I've found around here, I don't think the local
Injuns were as talented as some of y'all's Injuns....or didn't have
the quality of materials to work with. I have seen some good ones,
nomads I guess.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
From the few points I've found around here, I don't think the local
Injuns were as talented as some of y'all's Injuns....or didn't have
the quality of materials to work with. I have seen some good ones,
nomads I guess.

There's some REALLY nice stuff in your area.

Got friends in Dripping Springs that dig mounds and find some unbelievable artifacts.

Kid, finding 2 of those in a day would be a good day in my book! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are some guys been digging up points out at Camp
Ben McCulloch (Driftwood) for years and years.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a couple more pics from a walk we did about a month ago that I hadn’t put up, thought I’d hang them to keep this from getting completely buried.

Tiny little side notch made of clear flint. Sadly the tip and one ear are gone but it’s a cool little point. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And a kinda generic white flint corner notch. This is the third one like this I’ve found in one particular stretch of the creek about 100 yards long, guy that made them must have lost a sackful. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool! Are we gonna see a frame? Frames would be great to see👍👍

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thread is killing me!!!
Wanta get out bad.
Conditions aint been set up yet.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a small shadow box I put the keepers in, the brokes and crudes go into my 4 year old’s arrahead box. He has all manner of pretty rocks and broken points in that box, plus musselshells, drum stones, and anything else a 4 year old boy finds and considers precious.

My dad and uncle have some fantastic frames full of stuff. Most that they’ve found but a few that were a couple different great uncles’ from back in the 50s. I’m on the fence about putting mine in frames. I hate to glue them in because I have to get them out and fondle them every once and again.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If ya a hobby lobby around.
They got some cotton rayon whatever padded ones that hold in place real good.
I made one up , hung on the wall
3 yrs running.
Built up a nice grade 9 to 10 collection
Sold it, bought a gun
Stone to steel type of thing.
I get attached to certain things and dont to others

Slumlord got a few nice ones I have given him over the years
since he got me into the hobby.

Posted a pic of that shadow box 2 years ago
IIRC

Hobby lobby have on 50% off most times.

Mine was like 16 x 12 I think.

This will be year 2 in the search cycle of accumlating high grade stuff

Probably take about 4 to 5 before Im ready to sell rock again.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for being kind to slummy.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dude been collecting em for like 35 + years.
Bout yr 3 into for me I gave him a clovis I found 2 days before his transplant.
Dude has yet to find a whole one.
Least I could do for a friend staring down what he was at the time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some of the posters on this thread have inspired me to try something I’ve thought about for a long time but never went ahead and done. I built myself a set of flaking tools a couple weeks ago and I’ve been doing a little knapping. I’m really glad I did because it’s pretty cool and gives you a feel for what it took to make some of the stuff we find.

So far I haven’t made any points out of flint, I don’t have any cobbles big enough to do anything with. But my dad is headed out on a trip to the SW this week and he has orders to find me some river chert cobbles to fool with.

I’ve been using the bottoms of old bottles and jars I find walking the creeks and enjoying it.

Here’s a couple I beat into submission on my lunch break last week. Brown one is a beer bottle bottom and the clear one was an old #10 Mason.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Definitely not museum quality but I’m getting better since I’ve made 5 or 6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went looking at daylight Saturday. Didn’t find much but had a good walk.

Buffalo horn that washed out. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hole in the head betta fish
Did find this one good point. I stepped over it and found it on the walk back, sometimes a different perspective will make them show themselves. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You Tennessee guys need to get out there and find some stuff to keep this thread going.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
Some of the posters on this thread have inspired me to try something I’ve thought about for a long time but never went ahead and done. I built myself a set of flaking tools a couple weeks ago and I’ve been doing a little knapping. I’m really glad I did because it’s pretty cool and gives you a feel for what it took to make some of the stuff we find.

So far I haven’t made any points out of flint, I don’t have any cobbles big enough to do anything with. But my dad is headed out on a trip to the SW this week and he has orders to find me some river chert cobbles to fool with.

I’ve been using the bottoms of old bottles and jars I find walking the creeks and enjoying it.

Here’s a couple I beat into submission on my lunch break last week. Brown one is a beer bottle bottom and the clear one was an old #10 Mason.
Definitely not museum quality but I’m getting better since I’ve made 5 or 6

Looking good... I taught myself how to knapp several years ago. It is not as easy as it looks and can become habit forming. You'll find yourself looking for hammer stones in the flowerbeds of restaurants, picking up old bottles in odd places, asking people that drink SKY Vodka if they will save you the bottle and buying bottles of wine based on whether or not the bottom is flat. But you can make some cool looking arrowheads out of glass... Ladies love them as a neckless and will bug you until you make them one.

Time spent preparing your platforms is time well spent! Good luck,

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Knapping is a great way to unwind and take your mind off things. Mathsr taught me how to knapp and I now have a cigar box full of points that I don't know what to do with. I get the value out of them while making them. I have learned more about what it must have taken for the native Americans than you can learn from any book. When you pick up a chip or a broken point you can often tell exactly what created it or broke it because you have been there and done that. I still wonder about the points people find that are true works of art. I am always amazed at the capability of the primitive people. They may not have been primitive, just different.

I'm not at that level yet and probably will never be but I can stand toe to toe with most of the point makers that lived around here. Most of the points we find on the surface were probably considered the Saturday Night specials of the arrowheads.

Three things that helped me the most are preparing the platform at no 1. Looking for ridges to remove no. 2 and using indirect percussion at no. 3.

Good Luck and have fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always fun to find a few things while surface hunting arrowheads! smile

Good therapy too!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 42 of 74 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 57 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.