Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks guys. You definitely answered the questions I had. Feeding the rebated rim in an 03, and well made stock options. While Richards Microfit does have some very nice looking walnut, and Boyd's may be a step down in that regard. But I do know the turnaround time and the inletting on the Boyd's are topnotch. And as I mentioned before, I never even received the stock I ordered from Richards Microfit. After 6 or 7 weeks they told me it was on the line. After 10 weeks and not seeing my checking account taking a hit I called back, and the records of me ever ordering a stock didn't exist for some reason. So Boyd's got the call for a second time. Now, it looks like they're getting a 3rd call.

GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I can tell you for a fact that unaltered rails and followers will feed the 308 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag to without problems because I have them both and NO I didn't do it to them. MB

That’s super helpful for me to hear because I’ve been thinking I needed to find one that had been altered to.308 Norma for a .338 WM project I’ve had going but this tells me I don’t.

Excellent; thanks so much!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But the truth is still important there are newer and stronger actions for short magnum cartridges. I bought mine inexpensively the way they are,would not spend a dime to do that too them
,comprende? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did a plain old 284 on a 1909 action years ago, put it in a Pacific research stock, it was my go-to rifle. Now, the sweet thing about this action is the longer mag box to accommodate longer seated bullets. I simply throated it .200" longer than the standard chamber. Thee is no reason not to do the same to the '03, just a simple tune-up to the rails may be in store. Go for it!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about the 7x57? Maybe that would fit your requirements?

I tried calling Boyd's.....what a joke!

They wanted me to go on line and just deal with it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was just thinking and almost all of the custom 03s I have encountered were still in 30-06 caliber, a few were in 300 WIN MAG but not many. I did see one in 8X57MM several years ago, kind of an odd combo. I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
there are a lot of 06 cartridges that will work better. .getting the .284 to feed is going to be a adventure.

cat & dog marriage...…………

Lefty

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was just thinking and almost all of the custom 03s I have encountered were still in 30-06 caliber, a few were in 300 WIN MAG but not many. I did see one in 8X57MM several years ago, kind of an odd combo. I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

A buddy of mine was in the coast guard in the early 70's he did a tour at Adak where he traded some older senior enlisted guy out of 2 m1903 Springfield actions he had them made up into a 7x57 and a .257 Ackley Imp. They work ok for him no rail work done.MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

I have one I bought here in 6mm-250 that was put together by bench rest rifle builder HW Creighton down in Tennessee and while it’s STUPID accurate the box hasn’t been shortened properly and it doesn’t feed reliably at all.

Without making mag box mods a true short action cartridge (.300 Sav or .308 win length) would probably have the same issues I’m having with feeding. A mag block and extended bolt stop to shorten throw would likely remedy the issue.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
But the truth is still important there are newer and stronger actions for short magnum cartridges. I bought mine inexpensively the way they are,would not spend a dime to do that too them
,comprende? MB

Yeah I got ya and appreciate the sentiment but I’m a loonie for custom Mausers & Springfields and I have a threaded, short-chambered barrel that speaks to me in the night... she must be answered.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by craigmcm284
I don't disagree with what any of you guys are saying. But the upside to doing the 284 in a long action, is the added benefit of being able to seat heavy long for caliber bullets in the mag, with a lil freebore if necessary. I have nothing against the 270, I own one. And I love the 7mm caliber of the 284 Win and 280 Rem. It's just that I like to be a little different. I know nobody personally that has a 284 Win, and I like to be that guy that is different. Everyone at deer camp has a 30-06, 270 "I own both". They also have the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. I'm the guy that wants to be different. I had a 6.5 Creed when they first came out because it was different, now everyone has one, or more lol. The 284 is a more efficient cartridge than most,and to be honest, I'm really set on it. So I'm really glad guys aren't having feeding issues in an 03 action.

My next question is where to find a decent or I should say really nice Walnut sporter stock? I've bought a few Boyd's Laminate stocks for two different guns and have no complaints at all. I made a Savage 340 Bolt Action 30-30 come back to life and love that little gun. But I've never been impressed with their solid walnut stocks. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit for a 270 Win build I was doing. I called several times and got answers like it was on the line right now and should be a couple of weeks yet and never received the stock. Called a few weeks later and they magically said they never received my order. They never even billed me. So I don't know what happened there. As mentioned before this gun is to be an heirloom that I keep passing down so I want it to be a functional good looking gun. But, my pockets aren't super deep.

I would not gamble on the fat .284 case feeding reliably unless your gunsmith is very competent to play with the feed rails.

I would avoid Richard Micro-Fit junk more than I would try to avoid the Corona Virus.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
I guess short action rounds arent desirable in the 03 action?

I have one I bought here in 6mm-250 that was put together by bench rest rifle builder HW Creighton down in Tennessee and while it’s STUPID accurate the box hasn’t been shortened properly and it doesn’t feed reliably at all.

Without making mag box mods a true short action cartridge (.300 Sav or .308 win length) would probably have the same issues I’m having with feeding. A mag block and extended bolt stop to shorten throw would likely remedy the issue.

I have a LA 700 chambered for 257R. It's one of the slickest feeding rifles I have. You can place rounds anywhere in the box and it feeds slick.

So, it can be done. If not, a mag block will generally work.

The skill of the smith in setting up these rifles is key.

DF

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I agree DF I was speaking more to what one could call a “true short”. I’ve seen .257s on 03s that fed fine w/o blocks or anything.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it was my '03, and I have a couple of them, I'd probably go .280 or .280 AI to scratch a 7mm itch.

For a hunting rifle, the short fat rounds really offers no advantage and the longer ones, especially the AI version, will shoot faster.

In fact, the .280 AI is pretty close to the 7RM and more efficient. If I didn't already have a great 7RM, I'd be looking at one.

DF

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If it was my '03, and I have a couple of them, I'd probably go .280 or .280 AI to scratch a 7mm itch.

For a hunting rifle, the short fat rounds really offers no advantage and the longer ones, especially the AI version, will shoot faster.

In fact, the .280 AI is pretty close to the 7RM and more efficient. If I didn't already have a great 7RM, I'd be looking at one.

DF

+1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't think you'd have any problem with a hot loaded .284 in an s03 OR 03-A3 action. You didn't mean 03-A3 did you? Remington made a train full during the war. I know what you said about not wanting to entertain a .280 or the .280 AI but I gotta say, either one is a natural in an 03 or 03-A3.

I'm not 100% sure about the .280 AI but the regular .280's a breeze to load for and gets lots of velocity even without being reamed out to an AI.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think once you get past those early, low number ‘03’s, action strength is on par with modern actions.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Have you reloaded a .284?

I had my first go round with it last month. It sucks compared to 3006 brass. IMO.

I would go for the 338 personally. I like extra air in the barrel, not metal.

I've been handloading 284 Win since 1977 for several different rifles, including a Savage Model 99F. The only trouble I ever encountered was with one box of Nosler Partitions. Didn't group worth a damn. Nosler Solid Bases (the old red boxes) work great though.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very "interesting" thread.

A .30-06 Springfield made in 1942 would have to be a 1903A3. They are plenty strong enough for the .284--or the .300 Winchester Magnum, or any other "modern" round. A bunch were rechambered (and the front of the bolt converted) to .300 Winchester back when that cartridge was introduced, because there were far more very affordable 1903A3s than Winchester Model 70s.

Several gun writers built a .284 Winchesters on longer actions not long after the round appeared, because (like a lot of rifle loonies back then) they believed the "deep-seated" bullets in the .284 case robbed it of significant velocity. (Which isn't true, for reasons too involved to go into here.)

I also seem to recall one of them (possibly Bob Hagel) built one on a 1903A3 ACTION. But I also do not recall whoever made the experiment having any major difficulty getting the .284 to feed.

It is NOT a "magnum diameter" case, so would suggest the OP try some .284 rounds (preferably dummies) in his rifle and see if they will feed. My suspicion is it just might, even without any modifications to the feed rails.

Of course the .284 doesn't do anything a bunch of other cartridges do for hunters who never shoot beyond 400 yards, but if he wants something "special," why not?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This one is an '03 by Springfield with 10-42 on the barrel. Don't ya reckon they were using up '03 receivers before going to the 03-A3?

BTW, that barrel is pristine thru the Hawkeye and shoots accordingly. Vintage Fajen stock and Timney.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.