Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I sent JES a Ruger Hawkeye SS in 30-06 to be bored out to 9.3 caliber.

Here are some images of the work that was done.

Not sure what to think? Your thoughts?

https://imgur.com/cUzIc0h

https://imgur.com/l6PIhgQ

The 'pot holes' imaged are all up the bore of the rifle.

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have not looked at too many bore scope images, and am not a machinist/metallurgist, but that does not look so great. The first picture seems to be an inclusion in the metal that was surfaced in the machining. The two spots in the second photo are more troubling to me because it looks like the barrel material smeared and distorted during machining, rather than cut cleanly. (On closer inspection of the second photo, there may be an inclusion in the lower of the two smears.)

I am not at all surprised by the inclusion. I don't think that OEM barrels use the highest cost steel, so some inclusions are probably to be expected. I look forward to hearing what more knowledgeable people say about the "smears".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd wait to see how it shoots. Sometimes its just better not to know.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DCR48
I'd wait to see how it shoots. Sometimes its just better not to know.

I have had great results of accuracy from JES rebores, but I have also had the same rifles pull copper and foul like crazy as well for quite a few rounds. I am honest with myself by saying I spent about a 1/3 or less of what it would have cost to rebarrel with a Krieger and have a smith chamber and fit.

What my process has been is to shoot the barrels from the get go, about 5 rounds at a pop, JB bore paste the crap right out of the barrel, getting it back to steel and shooting the next 5, and so on. I usually get about 30-35 rounds through it doing that method and see a significant lessening of copper fouling. At that point, I will DBC the bore and live with the imperfections I am sure the barrel has, but typically I have gotten great accuracy from his rebores. I have ran Tubbs Final Finish bullets through them as well which helped a touch, but it does legthen the throat some as well.

Those are interesting pictures though, thank you for posting them up.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am not qualified to comment intelligently, but I have given up on condemning barrels on appearance. Make him aware of what you found. But if I were in your shoes, I'd lap and /or fire lap and just shoot the darn thing. I am convinced that barrels are like women, just 'cause they look nice, doesn't mean they work well. Even without bore scopes, we all have rifles that shouldn't shoot..using bore condition as a judging criteria. I have a well traveled 9.3 mfd in 1928 with a freckled bore that puts 8 shots into 1 1/4 inches with 58 gr Varget and the Hornady 286 gr.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had initially cleaned the bore with Montana Copper Killer then did the Dyna-Tek thing. Shot it 8 x then while cleaning bore again I took these pics. Lot of effort to clean this bore, more than normal, but that was somewhat expected.

Don't want to judge the work till I really put some holes on paper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See how it shoots, blah blah blah. Yep, see how it shoots but I would not want my barrel coming back with that damage. It may be hell on a bullet jacket. Contact JES and see if they want to do something. I wouldn't lap it before speaking with them.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I am not an expert by any means but do have machining experiences.Those are more than just tool marks . I would at least send him the photos and ask about them. It will probably shoot OK, but I think it is going to foul quicker and they for sure won't polish out

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks to me like clean machine work with flaws in the steel. Shouldn’t affect shooting, IMO.

See what he says and report back.

DF

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Those are more than just tool marks . I would at least send him the photos and ask about them.

My thoughts as well.

IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Does a .30-06 bored to 9.3mm give you a rifle capable of safely chambering and firing 9.3x62mm Ammo or is it a wildcat?

Interesting pics. That’s why I don’t have a borescope; ignorance is bliss!

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Does a .30-06 bored to 9.3mm give you a rifle capable of safely chambering and firing 9.3x62mm Ammo

Absolute.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like voids in the barrel metal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Looks to me like clean machine work with flaws in the steel. Shouldn’t affect shooting, IMO.

DF

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like his cutting tool encountered some sort of inclusion present in the original steel barrel blank. If that’s the case, then entirely to blame on the original barrel.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Hawkeye had CHF barrels so if direct something in the machining did that.
What do they say?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

DF

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like his cutting tool encountered some sort of inclusion present in the original steel barrel blank. If that’s the case, then entirely to blame on the original barrel.

And shouldn't affect anything.

I have a 1910 vintage Win 1892 in 38-40 with shiny bore, but pitted. It out shoots my new Marlin 45 Colt Cowboy, shoots tighter groups.

The pits don't affect anything. JES machine work looks very good. Those small inclusions in the original steel are just there and unavoidable when you cut into them.

I have a Hawkeye, but it's just a tool, not meant to rule. The final exam is at the range.

I feel sure that's what JES is gonna tell you. Load some rounds and give us a performance report. I have a feeling you're gonna be pleased.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How would the fact the original barrel was hammer forged affect the quality of the steel itself, which could have had inclusions?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I understand that Ruger barrels are hammer forged. That may be part of the problem. I have never understood why anyone uses reboring on anything other than a vintage rifle. Buy the best the first time. In the long run it saves money and frustration.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

DF

My thoughts exactly.

And shouldn't affect anything.

I have a 1910 vintage Win 1892 in 38-40 with shiny bore, but pitted. It out shoots my new Marlin 45 Colt Cowboy, shoots tighter groups.

The pits don't affect anything. JES machine work looks very good. Those small inclusions in the original steel are just there and unavoidable when you cut into them.

I have a Hawkeye, but it's just a tool, not meant to rule. The final exam is at the range.

I feel sure that's what JES is gonna tell you. Load some rounds and give us a performance report. I have a feeling you're gonna be pleased.

DF

I agree on performance. I’ve seen mistreated muzzleloaders with lots of putting that shot better than I could. Proof is found at the range.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have never understood why anyone uses reboring on anything other than a vintage rifle. Buy the best the first time. In the long run it saves money and frustration.

I can understand your thought on this.

I do have a Ruger African but wanted a SS with 22" barrel and I like the Ruger lines.

Other brands that sell the 9.3 don't interest me for various reasons.

As far as saving money, that's to been seen after I shoot it on paper which will be in the next week or so.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.