Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

From the CDC

I understand washing hands, not touching your face, etc., but what does this mean exactly? I'm neither OCD or a germaphobe, never done this before. If there is some product(s) I need to buy and use for this purpose, someone please tell me so I can go to the market to learn they're sold out...LOL Thanks.

Last edited by sse; 03/11/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Lysol or similar. If they're out of that , rubbing alcohol on a paper towel will work.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy a gallon of bleach. If it DOES NOT say concentrated on the bottle mix it 3.5 ounces of bleach to one gallon of water. If it does say concentrated mix at 2.5 ounces/gallon. Buy a bottle of chlorox wipes and refresh the bleach in used wipes with a spray bottle and keep using the wipes. The wipes are sturdy and made to not deteriorate from the bleach. Store shelves will go empty of bleach and wipes shortly. In you home where you should be less exposed a vigorous soap and water wash attending to washing all parts of your hands well should suffice.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
well i do have Lysol and rubbing alcohol. Lysol would be a mess and it stinks.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
pretty sure the chlorox wipes would be all sold out

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Soap is made from fat. Soap destroys the outer layer of virus and bacteria cells. Washing your hands is actually better than hand sanitizer if the sanitizer doesn't have at least 70% alcohol in it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by sse
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

From the CDC

I understand washing hands, not touching your face, etc., but what does this mean exactly? I'm neither OCD or a germaphobe, never done this before. If there is some product(s) I need to buy and use for this purpose, someone please tell me so I can go to the market to learn they're sold out...LOL Thanks.

There's many types of disinfectant wipes these days. If there hasn't been a case of COVID-19 diagnosed within 300 miles of where you are you might be able to find some for sale.

They're all sold out around here.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Soap is made from fat. Soap destroys the outer layer of virus and bacteria cells. Washing your hands is actually better than hand sanitizer if the sanitizer doesn't have at least 70% alcohol in it.

got it, but that doesn't answer the question, i.e. sanitizing often touched surfaces.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This. I can't believe how everyone's gone all gaga about hand sanitizer, bleach etc no health professionals anywhere are giving this advice, complete waste of time and not effective. If you're worried about sanitizing your house first off someone sick had to be there so you're closing the barn after the horse left. But carry on if you must and use soap and water.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rubbing alcohol, bleach or Lysol will do it as others stated. I bet ammonia would too although not sure what concentration would be required. If this is for at home and wipes are sold out, just use bleach mixed with water or straight rubbing alcohol with a paper towel or washcloth. Or put the bleach/alcohol in a pump spray bottle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Salty303

This. I can't believe how everyone's gone all gaga about hand sanitizer, bleach etc no health professionals anywhere are giving this advice, complete waste of time and not effective. If you're worried about sanitizing your house first off someone sick had to be there so you're closing the barn after the horse left. But carry on if you must and use soap and water.
Tough to use soap and water on the gas pump at quickie mart. I'm already carrying hand sanitizer with me all the time and using it after pumping gas, going into the store etc. before I get back in my car and contaminate the steering wheel or forget and touch my face.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sse

got it, but that doesn't answer the question, i.e. sanitizing often touched surfaces.

Door knob, counter tops, light switches, faucet handles, stair railings, your nose, ass, crotch.
Stuff like that.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't sweat it. We're all like this guy:

Luke 12:19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."’
20 "But God said to him, `You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

Use reasonable caution but when your time's up, it's up. Party on!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by sse

Do what I told you and wipe the surfaces with the bleach wipes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Money is the dirtiest thing we normally handle. Coins or bills.....wash those hands!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Salty303

Tough to use soap and water on the gas pump at quickie mart. I'm already carrying hand sanitizer with me all the time and using it after pumping gas, going into the store etc. before I get back in my car and contaminate the steering wheel or forget and touch my face.

Look up hand sanitizer's effectiveness against virus', its more for bacteria. It's 2nd string in effectiveness compared to good old soap but should kill it. Why not just wear a glove? As far as I go, and I do this ever flu season is open doors with my sleeve not my bare hand.. done.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
got this idea from a vet friend of mine.
i carry a water bottle in the vehicle, filled with water and dawn dish water soap. Mainly used in the past for cleaning by hands after gutting a bunch of doves. I am going to be adding alcohol to the mixture. I think it would be pretty effective.
a brother in law who serve on a number of ships in the navy, routinely adds a small amount of bleach to the soapy water when washing dishes.
he said they use to do it on the ships.
makes sense to me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bleach is a better disinfectant.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse

If soap works on your hands, why not on surfaces?

Maybe just standard sanitary practices around the house?

Don't touch doorknobs/handles while out, just like during flu season maybe.

Don't come to our house, we have dogs and are horrible housekeepers. Dogs on the furniture, carpet, etc. If we tried to keep this place "clean" we'd have no time for anything else.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
as far as washing hands, I saw someone say on TV that the soap does not need to be anti-bacterial, and that it is not necessary to use hot water, in fact a lot of hot water will have an adverse effect on skin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.