Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Daveh
I know I would JB it good and see what happens. I have never seen a bore that clean.....😎😎

I don't see JB cleaning up those potholes. They are a big deal. Unless they are not and the rifle shoots great. The answer to which, we await, along with the provenance of SU35's handle.
Check 6,
Rex

GB1

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
What's the SU35 significance? Does it refer to the FLANKER variant?

FLANKER-E My son's idea when he sat on my lap when I joined the club here some years ago.

Last edited by SU35; 03/11/20.
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looks like pre-exisiting inclusions in the steel that were exposed by the re-boring process.

Best answer so far, I think.

I have no doubts about JES work unless he tells me different.

This was a brand new bore and had no seen glitches in it when inspected before being sent to JES.

First bullet down the bore for accuracy testing will be a 250 AB.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I also think it's more of problem with the Ruger steel than his work. He's done three 9.3s for us so far, two stainless Model 70s and one Ruger No. 3.. I got a teslong recently and so far I've checked out one of the Model 70s. It doesn't have anything like the OP's Ruger barrel. Nonetheless, I suspect it will shoot just fine. Both the Model 70s I have shoot great. The most used one will put 10 286 partitions into an inch at 100. The other is my son's and hasn't been totally evaluated yet. I have yet to examine or shoot the Ruger No. 3. Anyway, I suspect things will be just fine.

Currently I have another Model 70 with Dan Pederson being re-educated from 7mm mag to .416 Taylor. I'll let the tribe here know how that goes when the time comes, but after much research and a fair bit of experience with various and sundry jobs from JES I've reached the conclusion that reboring is a sound choice for a new barrel.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got relatively modern barrels that have seen hard extended use in wet weather that look 100x worse than that, mild pits everywhere, and they still shoot MOA. Not what you'd want if you'd dropped $800 on a new barrel and rechambering, but for $250, I wouldn't sweat it. Machine work to me looks good. Better than lots of Remington factory barrels. The fact that there was an inclusion seems like luck of the draw.

The best thing is to buy a borescope and use it to look at guns you've used hard for 20-30 years. A lot of the time they look terrible under a borescope and meanwhile the reason you've kept them so long is they shoot great!

IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I also think it's more of problem with the Ruger steel than his work.

My conclusion and I would send JES another rifle for work no problem.

He cut rifles his barrels by the way.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Daveh
I know I would JB it good and see what happens. I have never seen a bore that clean.....😎😎

Looks pretty clean as is.

JB won't affect those inclusions, those voids in the steel.

Sometimes a bore scope provides too much info. If it shoots like I think it will and if you'd never seen those voids, you'd think it was great.

Need a range report.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a borescope and look at other peoples guns. Leave it out of yours!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Need a range report.

Hopefully by next Thursday at latest.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GeoW
Buy a borescope and look at other peoples guns. Leave it out of yours!

g

laugh

Good point. A borescope is to solve problems, not create them...

It provides info, isn't the ultimate end all. That info has to be calculated into the over all picture, does not represent the total picture.

A new borescope owner needs to be aware.

The final exam is at the range.

DF

IC B3

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
10-4 on that

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SU35
I also think it's more of problem with the Ruger steel than his work.

My conclusion and I would send JES another rifle for work no problem.

He cut rifles his barrels by the way.

That ah spirit. Good words for our man, Jesse. Like i said before, a little bit of bore polish will go a long way. I'm betting as is, that rifle will shoot better than you'd imagine. I take a bore snake 3-4 calibers larger, coat with 320 grit lapping compound and pull through rebore. It'll tone down tooling or steel imperfections. Usually 10-20 passes. It'll cut down on fouling.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
or maybe you sent him a piece sheet gun azzwipe

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Teslong Rigid Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with 21inch Rod and 45° Side-View Mirror, for Windows, MacBook and Android Smartphone

Originally Posted by smithrjd
And only $50 at Amazon.. Love mine.

Thanks guys for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

Just bought one...

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 03/12/20. Reason: moinfo

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes a bore scope can open your eyes so to speak. Can also cause heartburn.. Overall to me worth the money for the Teslong. It will let you know where your cleaning regime is at and condition. Looked at several of mine, an old Mauser 98K with the original barrel. Looks like a sewer pipe.. Still shoots as good as I can with irons. Winchester Model 70 finally saw why it did not shoot well. Tool marks from hell. Was going to buy a Schultz and Larsen in 7X61, looked at the throat with the Teslong. Alligator skin.. Saved an issue later there. To the OP looks like the issues were in the barrel steel. Shoot it and see.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Teslong Rigid Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with 21inch Rod and 45° Side-View Mirror, for Windows, MacBook and Android Smartphone

Originally Posted by smithrjd
And only $50 at Amazon.. Love mine.

Thanks guys for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

Just bought one...

Looks good.

If I didn't already have an $800 Hawkeye, I'd get one.

I'm thinking you really can't clean a gun if you can't see what you're doing. Watching blue patches doesn't reveal enough to suit me.

If you don't have a bore scope, get this one.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe a group buy discount on that bore scope?

Call the manufacture: tell them them youre trying to get the "24 hour campfire dick-move bore scope discount".

That you'll post the jess rebore images on a national public forum, before you've even shot the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have that same bore scope but it doesn't provide a view as sharp as yours. I've been wondering if the semi-rigid cable model would work better.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In 41 years in the engineering field I learned one lesson. "Don't fully trust a photo" A photo is only a start to an investigation. The mark in the photo looks like a common chip relief from the cutting tool. The chip gets progressively hotter towards the end of its length. The hotter material will be harder and lift the cutter. I would bet that the deviation is within the dimension tolerance band.

I have several old Russian military guns that have barrels with thousands of flaws like the one in the photo. All they cared about was would it kill a Bolshevik

Last edited by MM879; 03/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SU,

I could see the initial alarm with this. I once got a steal of a deal on a brand new stainless shilen barrel. The smith bore scoped the barrel after it was installed and ready, and we were appalled by the condition, pits etc similar to the pictures above.

Long story real short, it shot flawless. Cleaned slightly harder, but groups were around 1/2 minute with little work when I did my job.

MK

MK
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 20 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.