Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A virus with a 97+% recovery rate? And symptoms in most people about as mild as a common cold?

If ONLY 99.97% of all airplanes landed safely no one would fly. There would be several crashes every day. And the 97% recovery rate assumes aggressive treatment for a lot of those folks. While it is true that most healthy people will have very minor issues there are many older folks who would need to be hospitalized. Most hospitals are normally at 90-95% capacity at any given time. It wouldn't take that many more people for us to reach the point where there aren't enough beds and equipment to care for all of them.

Personally I'm not concerned for my health. I should be able to be in the 97% even if I'm exposed. But the more it spreads, the greater, and longer the economy is impacted. I have some plans for camping and fishing over the next few weeks. But I'm going to avoid any places with crowds.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
A virus with a 97+% recovery rate? And symptoms in most people about as mild as a common cold?

If ONLY 99.97% of all airplanes landed safely no one would fly. There would be several crashes every day. And the 97% recovery rate assumes aggressive treatment for a lot of those folks. While it is true that most healthy people will have very minor issues there are many older folks who would need to be hospitalized. Most hospitals are normally at 90-95% capacity at any given time. It wouldn't take that many more people for us to reach the point where there aren't enough beds and equipment to care for all of them.

Personally I'm not concerned for my health. I should be able to be in the 97% even if I'm exposed. But the more it spreads, the greater, and longer the economy is impacted. I have some plans for camping and fishing over the next few weeks. But I'm going to avoid any places with crowds.

exactly right, it just makes sense to adjust one's behavior in order to help avoid or reduce a really bad outcome

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No advice. I'm avoiding people as much as practically possible but hunt and fish solo or with one family member.

Re travel: My son returned yesterday from a month in West Africa. He said that he went through no screening of any kind on arrival in NY nor on his flight on to Seattle. Maybe there is a hidden temperature reader scanning incoming passengers.

Wife and I are in the risk category due to age and specific lung vulnerabilities. We have self isolated somewhat, avoiding groups, didn’t even go to my usual Thurs. morning coffee with 3 friends. Did have supper at his home last evening with son on his return from Africa, but he surprised us by having some kind of gastrointestinal bug and should have warned us not to come. Wife canceled a walk on ferry trip to Victoria today.

This seems highly contagious and my assumption is that we will probably get it sooner or later and are trying to delay catching it as long as possible. Delay gives time to develop meds and hopefully flatten the peak curve numbers low enough for medical pros to handle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just got back from Orlando last week. I will admit that in the airport 3 chinese came and sat near us and 2 were coughing without covering so I made my family get up and move. Some cases were confirmed in Tampa the day we were there but we pretty much just drove through on the way to the beach. Traffic in Florida is terrible and I hate toll roads.

If our trip was planned any later I would think about cancelling but I felt like our timing was mostly ahead of it.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This week, I received emails from the presidents/CEOs of both Southwest and Delta Airlines, in which both said they have greatly increased their cleaning/disinfection protocols to include after every flight and a much more extensive cleaning every night. That's the source for my claims above.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
This week, I received emails from the presidents/CEOs of both Southwest and Delta Airlines, in which both said they have greatly increased their cleaning/disinfection protocols to include after every flight and a much more extensive cleaning every night. That's the source for my claims above.

good to hear

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
College students who have been told to go home.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sse
i don't wanna get it or spread it, nor do i need restrictions on my own agenda when i get home, YMMV
. Fair odds if you had it you woulnd't even know you had it....

I am supposed to fly back to Alaska in May after all Moms medical things are sorted out hopefully. Could care less.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Military personnel are still flying, just met my nephew at the airport last weekend. Not deserted, maybe 1/3 regular traffic.

A Coast Guard buddy sent a pic, coach on his domestic flight almost empty.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve flown every week since mid December except one. 4 flights a week.

So far all I’ve had is a dry cough and mild fever. 🤷‍♂️😂

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have a coming flight from WY to NH (via Denver to Boston) to meet a grandbaby when he/she arrives. Will be checking with the expectant parents if they are comfortable with us flying in. Will crush us to not go, but will respect the wishes of our son/daughter-in-law.

Have a European River Cruise second week of June. Finished paying today with options of:
1) Go, as scheduled
2) Cancel and eat the deposit
3) Agree to re-schedule out up to 1 year for full credit.

We are going to keep watching, but are still booked to go. As things evolve we will make decisions as they come.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

not sure what i'll do. Could go ahead and book for May, see what happens by then... confused

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Have flight reservations to New Orleans and a river cruise booked up the Mississippi next month. I fully intend to be on the plane and on the boat. I refuse to panic over a mostly hyped up event.

NRA Patron Member
U.S. Navy Veteran 1969-1973
Sons of the American Revolution
Sons of Confederate Veterans
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm thinking of booking in June, in hopes things have settled a bit by then...with the current fare reductions, i have a enough miles it won't cost anything, cancel or not.

Last edited by sse; 03/13/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
flying around the country would be too long a trip... just fly through it.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
touché

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't fly through LA or NY and you've just about eliminated 99% of any risk through flying.

(Send the darts. Armor is ON). grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
the airports are still busy. my reason for delaying is that most of the cases being disclosed now involve people who widely traveled, or had first-hand interaction with someone who did. so, it obviously adds risk on top of just staying put

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (Akhutr, 35, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,876
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.