Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There were night FACs on rocket patrol around some bases, and in fact I flew a couple of night "team cover" missions and one very ill-fated night parachute team insert! The Nail FACs flying out of Thailand also flew night FAC missions over the Trail in Laos, but those are about all.

We quickly abandoned our night missions for several reasons. We flew them with two pilots, an observer, full fuel tanks, full rockets and a flare rack - which made us almost 25% over maximum allowable takeoff weight. THOSE were scary takeoffs. Second, our airfield was closed at night, meaning we had to land on a blacked-out runway - it was like descending into a black pit and was extremely dangerous. Lastly, since the rescue helos couldn't fly at night, there was absolutely nothing we could if a team went hot except listen to them die.

The night parachute fiasco was "another agency" (ahem) that had the hots to do something out there, and since it was our sandbox, we had to have a plane there. The radio frequencies got screwed up, I never did contact them, and we later learned that they got scared and dropped the team from a higher altitude - ABOVE me! They probably fell all around me in the dark. Two of them got skewered on tree limbs, and we never learned what happened to the rest of them, but it could not have been good.

Anyway, the night did in fact belong to the NVA. That was the real impetus to us developing night vision for individual troops, not just "search" devices like Starlight Scopes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The price of freedom, is a value the protected shall never know. Thanks for having brass balls, gents...hope this thread keeps going...and devoid of the ingrates...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Trolling for ground fire was one of the more effective but "interesting" techniques employed by guys like me in our Cessna SkySmashers.
Sheesh!

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
My late older brother flew Huey’s in the delta country 69/70.

While duck hunting with him one day, we had several birds come into our set in flooded timber.
We knocked several down, but my brother just watched and was silent.
When I asked him what he thought of that (shooting the birds) he said - “It reminds me of flying into a hot pick up zone”.

I appreciate the OP’s article and really appreciate you VN Veterans 🇺🇸

Chills... dammit that hit home.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Writing this stuff also has me reliving it in my mind, of course. And it scares the poop out of me worse than when I was doing it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Writing this stuff also has me reliving it in my mind, of course. And it scares the poop out of me worse than when I was doing it.
LOL! You are getting a clue as to how crazy it sounds to the rest of us! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe, but I get it double-barreled!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tyrone, maybe a clue, maybe the cold sweats at 3 in the morning. Stuff I wrote on the topic in days past was a regurgitation that left me more at peace, nothing more. Life as the designated bait in a team effort was never boring.

I loved the smell of napalm....anytime.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen, Dan. Writing about it was the catharsis that ended my long period of PTSD or whatever it was.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love the stories, always enjoy hearing the stories from you guys. I'm curious if any of you flew any ops near Firebase Ripcord in 1970?

http://wordpress.ripcordassociation.com/facts-about-ripcord/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fire_Support_Base_Ripcord

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. My time in hell was Feb to Dec '71.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another interesting mission I was involved in was maintaining a somewhat experimental air drop system for C-130's known as AWADS. "All Weather Air Drop System". It used what was essentially a bomb-navigation system for cargo, where a ground based controller projected a signal similar to an instrument landing system beam. The computer equipment on the supply bird would intercept the signal, compute the plane's altitude and ground speed, and punch the cargo out of the back of the plane at the appropriate time. It was supposed to be able to hit a designated drop zone 100 yards in diameter, even if the supply ship couldn't see the ground. We had our own little operating area, tucked away near the end of the runway at U-Tapao Thailand with barracks, maintenance facilities, and even our own beer bar. The main ops were run from Clark AFB Philippines, with aircrews and maintenance people on 60 day TDY's to Thailand. One advantage to that arrangement was a steady supply of San Miguel beer, brought in on the weekly resupply plane! We were supposedly dropping food and ammo to guys who "weren't there" outside of Viet Nam. We referred to ourselves as the "Cambodian Gunrunners"- - - - -one load of rice, three loads of ammo!

Years later I was shooting the bull with a friend who had been a member of some sort of black ops team, doing super secret spook stuff in places they weren't supposed to be, and I happened to mention those AWADS flights. He commented "So you were the guys who missed the drop zone on a regular basis!" Small world!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eric1186
Love the stories, always enjoy hearing the stories from you guys. I'm curious if any of you flew any ops near Firebase Ripcord in 1970?

Yep. My unit had quite a bit to do with that fracas and we lost some good boys in the process. I rotated back to the states just about the time it reached a full boil.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The world is indeed tiny, HR. I mentioned the Green Hornets of the 20th Special Ops Squadron up above. VERY small unit, VERY covert, as were we. One day a while back, I struck up a casual conversation with a couple walking past my driveway. Both Air Force. Both pilots. Both 'Nam. Where at? "Nowhere you've heard of" we both said. "Ban Me Thuot." Long stares. He was a Green Hornet. A year before me, but still...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jerry, in my experience the AWADS crews were stunningly precise with placement. The only miss I saw was intended for the top of a razorback ridge and was off about 50 meters. It landed on the slope over a NVA underground field hospital. Our grunts stopped counting bodies in the north side of 400.

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Small indeed! When I took my Marine grandson to the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson, I showed him the B-52D on display there. I remember working on that plane when it was at Okinawa- - - -remembered the tail number. There was a diagram showing the battle damage repairs that had been made on the plane- - - -some of which I remember being done by the sheet metal guys at Kadena. About a year later, I met the next door neighbor of my sis-in-law in Dayton Ohio whose late husband had been a navigator on that plane!
Jerry

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dan, did you ever see a C-130 do a LAPES run? ("Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System") The idea was to fly low over an area too shot-up to actually land, and yank the cargo out of the back of the plane with a parachute. One pilot I knew who ran those missions claimed he couldn't fly low enough with the landing gear down, so they always went in gear up, and usually under fire, to make the drop. Guys like that probably need a wheelbarrow to carry their balls around with!
Jerry

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eric1186

Wasn't me I flew my last missions a month prior to Ripcord but could have been several of our remaining aircraft since we had three at Phucat when I left.. Two were constantly up on airborne night watch and the third was on the ground for standby alert perimeter defense if needed however there were several 119's just activated so trading tail #'s. with our sister base at Pleiku was SOP of that timeline.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jerry, more than a few times. Extra large wheelbarrow.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the evolutions of the war came to pass with the onset of the Spring Offensive in ‘72. The nature of our ops changed dramatically and the maneuvering that led to AA traps was replaced with full blown in-your-face use of AA and AAA throughout SVN. 12.7, 23 & 37mm augmented by SA7 missiles was the new deal. If you came home without green stains in your skids you were flying too high.

One of my buddies took out a ZSU23-2 on his own with an OH6 and a minigun. Any of you fellas that know anything about the ZSU’s capability will understand that what he did was impossible. At least that’s what Nguyên thought.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.