Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good comments, and some humor as well. Folks going stupid around here, hoarding TP, etc. Panic is far worse than what will come with CV, but the fallout, business lost followed by job loss will sting, at least short term, and affect consumer and investor confidence. It's taken a good hit already, but I think we are in for more........no doubt no one can predict or time the market. Who saw this black swan coming? Just like 2008, and 911, etc.

I do believe like the past, history shows a strong likelihood this will eventually pass and the markets will recover. Agree with those nearing retirement to play it safe. The lower it goes, the more risks is removed for any new capital.

The crash of 2008 was totally predictable. It was predicated by policies initiated in the Clinton administration. I think Bush knew it was going to crash but hoped it would hold off until after the first of the year when the magic negroe would be president.
911 was a different story.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
We've already seen the bottom.

I respect your intellect and posts more than a little.
I hope you are correct.
I fear you may be mistaken on this one.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I respect your intellect and posts more than a little.
I hope you are correct.
I fear you may be mistaken on this one.

Yes, I could be wrong. But at this point, it's my best guess.

Trump is listening to the right people and doing the right things.

One March Madness was cancelled, which was not a Trump actions, to me, that signaled we were near peak news. At that point, there's no one else to tell.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/14/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you're right. On Thursday I bought some Alaska Air and Carnival Cruise. Also some SLV. Silver was about 100 to 1 on the gold ratio. But silver still took a dive Friday.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever it is, it won't look NEARLY as nice as the Beach Angel one in the Boob Survey...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When do you think it will bottom, and how low do you feel it will go?

Seen in Y2K, 2001-2002, and 2008 it get cut in half.

If you were buying, when would you begin.......and would you DCA and if so, how so?

It lost about 4k in 2008 from 13k
Closer to 1/3

19,500 would match that

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn
When do you think it will bottom, and how low do you feel it will go?

Seen in Y2K, 2001-2002, and 2008 it get cut in half.

If you were buying, when would you begin.......and would you DCA and if so, how so?

It lost about 4k in 2008 from 13k
Closer to 1/3

19,500 would match that

14k October 2007 to 6.5k March 2009.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Might want to check out what Dr. Michael Burry is up to and I need to do the same. I made a butt load of money with that guy during the 2007-08 sub prime meltdown but it was one fuggin hairy ride for sure.

His hedge fund knocked the money ball out of the park. He’s only investing for himself and a small group of others since then and after he shut the fund down.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Might want to check out what Dr. Michael Burry is up to and I need to do the same. I made a butt load of money with that guy during the 2007-08 sub prime meltdown but it was one fuggin hairy ride for sure.

His hedge fund knocked the money ball out of the park. He’s only investing for himself and a small group of others since then and after he shut the fund down.

He shorted this market a while back.

He wasn't wrong, he was just early.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RE OP Topic: It’s the same as asking who wants to predict the top. How about predicting where the market is in 3 years, how about 5 years from today. Remember volatility works both ways as last Friday surely showed. The stock market (equities) is a great place to make money over time, but you need to have at least two-three years living expenses in liquidity (cash) on hand to weather the downside, hold on to your current assets and take advantage of buys for the future uptick. It’s not for everyone and hard to stomach when modest investors portfolios devalue $500K-$1.0M in a few days, especially if your contemplating retirement or are living off of current investment income. The key is playing the market for long positions and keeping significant cash on the side. Of course the companies you hold assets in should have low debt and large cash balance sheets after dividends paid at years end. Chin up it will move forward again over time.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

He shorted this market a while back.

He wasn't wrong, he was just early.

What time frame are you talking about ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No doubt, investing in equities, for most (not traders) is a long-term proposition to cut risk and realize potential. No one knows the timing or tops and bottoms, but a lot of folks get a fairly educated (via experience) of trends.....I personally think the pain of what is going on with CV19 is not going away anytime soon, and likely not hit it's peak intensity. If that is correct, it could well be that the markets will go lower......

Yes, I do agree, based on history, this will rebound back, and it's currently all about fear, though it could perhaps spark a recession, certainly 2020 profits will drop for many businesses. All that means less the further out you look for long-term investing.

Having seen several major corrections before of +/- 50% ...........we have a ways to go to get there. Not placing any best, but I'd not be shocked to see 18.........and even 15-16......on the Dow. Speaking of which, you folks looking more at the Dow or S&P as an indicator? Do you feel Nasdaq will lead the way when the markets ultimately recover?

On DCA, do you folks do a set timing or pick down days to buy into on intervals? Great comments folks, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Will they let the stock brokers trade..................doesn't the floor of the stock exchange hold more than 500 people?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure why everyone looks so much at the DOW, other than the news media is constantly talking about it. I pay more attention to the S&P which reflects a much more broader swath of the overall market. I'm certain we have a good bit further down to go and that there will be significant economic effects from the pandemic situation combined with other aspects of the world economy that aren't going away soon. Sure we may get a good bounce but this is not going to be over anytime soon unless someone comes up with a way to prevent or treat the virus soon and even then there will be lasting economic and political impacts.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Originally Posted by 45_100
Just my opinion and not based on anything but I think it will bottom out about 20,000 and be up to 30,000 by year's end.

But, I hope ‘sniper is right.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I worry less about the Dow than corn, and soybeans, and fat cattle.

This here.

I'm thinking once China gets itself straightened out the commodities will come back around. Folks still gotta eat, and the Corona isn't gonna kill that many.

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45_100
Just my opinion and not based on anything but I think it will bottom out about 20,000 and be up to 30,000 by year's end.

My thoughts too. Hoping we're right.

Black Cows Matter!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Joezone
Not sure why everyone looks so much at the DOW, other than the news media is constantly talking about it. I pay more attention to the S&P which reflects a much more broader swath of the overall market. I'm certain we have a good bit further down to go and that there will be significant economic effects from the pandemic situation combined with other aspects of the world economy that aren't going away soon. Sure we may get a good bounce but this is not going to be over anytime soon unless someone comes up with a way to prevent or treat the virus soon and even then there will be lasting economic and political impacts.

Vaccine is well ahead of schedule and should be in testing in 2 weeks. That was a news report I was listening too on the way home on Thursday

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
MSFT 27.50

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.