Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU35,

I should not have said "a lot of folks," but a few definitely made comments that were pretty negative. None were you. Sorry for the inadvertent confusion.

Thanks for the clarification John.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not to argue but conventional lapping would improve the looks of those inclusions and subsequent fubar cuts. It may or may not improve how it shoots or reduce fouling, but it could. If done properly it is not likely to reduce accuracy but could make it necessary to re-cut the throat lead and crown. Typically you shorten a barrel by at least an inch and then re-crown after lapping. I wouldn't do this unless it shot really badly and then I would see if Jes could bore it out to .375 or larger.

Just shoot the damn thing and if it fouls use Dyna Bore Coat and shoot it some more.

As I've said to other respondents, PLEASE be clear on to whom you are replying, the original pictures posted by SU35, or the "for reference" pictures I posted in response. I'm not a bit worried about my barrels, so I don't need any more suggestions on how I should proceed.. I'll leave it to SU35 to chime in if he feels the need for any further guidance. Nor could I imagine any way one would set a barrel back at least an inch as a component of a lap job. That sounds really excessive. But what do I know?

Cheers to all,
Rex

Tejano,
Reading back over this today I see I misunderstood you. I think you meant the MUZZLE would need to be cut back an inch or more. I get that and it makes sense. When you mentioned recutting the throat and shortening an inch in the same stream my mind read setting back the barrel at the breech. Sorry for my confusion and implying you did not know your stuff.

And JB, thanks for the input on lapping in general and its limited utility.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JES barrel business was cast doubt upon before you had a clue as to the job done.

Hell. you still haven't fired the rifle.

Would it have not been fair to shoot the rifle before posting barrel pics or at least cleaned it for that matter?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"Can't we all just get along?" RJ

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Just shoot the damn thing and if it fouls use Dyna Bore Coat and shoot it some more.

Exactly.

Just think how pleased the OP would have been if he'd have shot it and it grouped like I think it will.

Sometimes a bore scope is best left in it's case.

And I've used one for several years, not as long as JB, but long enough.

Other than a few inclusions and some tool chatter marks, the bore looks really good. JB Bore Cleaner scrubbing won't change any of that, IMO.

If it fouls, use DBC and just shoot it. Go kill stuff; fill the freezer.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad

I was just commenting in general that while a borescope can be an interesting tool, its role has to be kept in perspective. Certainly one of its roles is to diagnose a barrel that is acting wonky after a high quantity of quality attempts to make it shoot, not as a predictor of a yet un-tested barrel.

Exactly and as often as not {probably more than often} a borescope may/will not show what the problem is. It is often the result of uneven dimensions of the bore which are unreadable with a borescope or stress somewhere within that barreled action also not visible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daveh
I know I would JB it good and see what happens. I have never seen a bore that clean.....😎😎

JB is not a lapping compound

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
JES barrel business was cast doubt upon before you had a clue as to the job done.

Would it have not been fair to shoot the rifle before posting barrel pics or at least cleaned it for that matter?

g

That's about as wrong as it gets. Here is SU35's second post on this thread on page one:
"I had initially cleaned the bore with Montana Copper Killer then did the Dyna-Tek thing. Shot it 8 x then while cleaning bore again I took these pics. Lot of effort to clean this bore, more than normal, but that was somewhat expected.

Don't want to judge the work till I really put some holes on paper."
So, not only had he shot it, he specifically said he "did not want to judge the work" (i.e. cast doubt on Jesse's work) without a lot more shooting on paper.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/16/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Exactly.

Just think how pleased the OP would have been if he'd have shot it and it grouped like I think it will.

Sometimes a bore scope is best left in it's case.

And I've used one for several years, not as long as JB, but long enough.

Other than a few inclusions and some tool chatter marks, the bore looks really good. JB Bore Cleaner scrubbing won't change any of that, IMO.

If it fouls, use DBC and just shoot it. Go kill stuff; fill the freezer.

DF

Just like I wrote to the last poster. please read the thread before posting. Here's SU35's second post on page one:
"I had initially cleaned the bore with Montana Copper Killer then did the Dyna-Tek thing. Shot it 8 x then while cleaning bore again I took these pics. Lot of effort to clean this bore, more than normal, but that was somewhat expected.

So, he HAS DBC'ed it. And he's planning to shoot it a bunch more, and we'll see how it groups.

Cheers,
Rex

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by SU35
Teslong Rigid Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with 21inch Rod and 45° Side-View Mirror, for Windows, MacBook and Android Smartphone

Originally Posted by smithrjd
And only $50 at Amazon.. Love mine.

Thanks guys for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

Just bought one...

Just bought one also. Every thing in my safe shoots very well so ugly will make no difference.

Last edited by sidepass; 03/16/20.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

g

That's about as wrong as it gets. Here is SU35's second post on this thread on page one:

So, not only had he shot it, he specifically said he "did not want to judge the work" (i.e. cast doubt on Jesse's work) without a lot more shooting on paper.

Cheers,
Rex

Sorry Chief. Did I really need to spell out "fired the rifle for accuracy testing" before trashing JES?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

g

Cheers,
Rex

Sorry Chief. Did I really need to spell out "fired the rifle for accuracy testing" before trashing JES?

This guy won't be wrong.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have hand lapped (using a lead lap and Clover compound) a lot of barrels after chambering and crowning and it has never failed to improve providing the problem was something which could be improved by lapping (finish or dimensional shortcomings). If there was no apparently correctable flaw, the barrel didn't get lapped. Inclusions in the steel cannot be fixed by lapping. Minor toolmarks can and so can tight spots (with considerable effort, mind you). It IS possible to screw a barrel up with a lap; just as with any other operation which cuts metal. GD

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
For the peanut gallery

https://imgur.com/czD2zLY

After getting on paper at 25 I sent the next 6 shots into this group.

https://imgur.com/jw5AbAl
Nosler 250 AB's
N-540 63.5 grains for 2,700 mv

https://imgur.com/zHaKy7c
Nosler Partitions 286 grain
MR-2000 63.0 grains for 2,400 mv
First two shots were walked to the top 3 for a nice group

Ruger 77 Hawkeye, 8lbs 3oz 1-10 twist 4 groove
Mods include Ernie trigger spring 2lbs and Wolf Speed Lock Striker, 24 lbs.
These really help with accuracy.

Scope is a Meopta 6x42 German #4

https://imgur.com/MspAMjK

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d say you’ve got a winner. That 250 AB load sounds darned deadly.

Semper Fi
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd say so too....my mountain elk rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like I need me some o' that N-540!
Nice shootin'!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hey, congrats! It appears to shoot like a 9.3. Those are amazing velocities. Where did that data come from? Is it a temp stable powder?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Veeta-voo-ree's (or however you say it) data shows a max load of 61.4 gr for N-540 getting 2605fps from a 22.75" barrel.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=92

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
"Holy phucqk look what Jess did to my barrel!" was how I first read the header. Anyone can see, in totality, no harm no foul. Cumbaya....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (66Block, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 19 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.